Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New DBTs Album Coming in March
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:02 pm 
frostingspoon

been listening to this some more. I've changed my opinion somewhat. these Cooley songs are quite good. these Hood songs are hot garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:40 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/09/drive-by-truckers-produce-best-album-in-years.html

Quote:
All the tell tale signs were there: Members divorced one another and left the band. Writer’s block afflicted one of the two remaining songwriters. Solo albums were launched. The longest silence of the group’s career followed.

After nine albums and 18 years, the Drive-By Truckers would have been excused for succumbing to the drama, the road, their age, and packing it in. Instead, they have returned with English Oceans, one of the best albums of their career and the best album of 2014 so far.

“You know, we had to make a decision. Are we going to keep doing this? Is this worth it?” says band co-founder Patterson Hood, who spoke to The Daily Beast this week at a hotel bar in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. “Is it just getting ridiculous? Has it become a soap opera for too long, or are we going to fix this shit and go out and do it?”

“A band is tough,” Hood continues. “I mean, there is a reason why it’s a dying art. There’s less and less bands now, or at least that go at it like this.”

By “like this” he means full-out, myth-making on the road Southern rock; short stories about men and women who struggle against history’s grasp to make a living and find love. Hood and his longtime musical partner Mike Cooley have sung about George Wallace and Bear Bryant and the “duality of the Southern thing”—of “being fiercely proud of the good parts of my heritage and mortified and ashamed of the bad parts,” as Hood put it in an essay he wrote for The Bitter Southerner.

They have made some of the best albums of the last two decades, and Hood says the decision to remain a band was made with that in mind. “If we’re going to make another record, we need to make—we’re better off not making another record unless we can just make one-of-the-best-records-we’ve-ever-made-records.”

And they have.

After all the drama and the departures, the deep friendship between Hood and Cooley remains the band’s core and driving force. “This will be our 29th year as partners,” Hood says. “At the end of the day I want to hear what Cooley does to whatever song I write. I love what he does to my songs.”

Cooley is more of an equal songwriting partner on this record than on recent efforts, and, in fact, some of his songs are some of the album’s strongest.

The album is bookended by two of the most top-notch songs in the Truckers’ long catalogue: “Shit Shots Count” is a cracking “Exile on Main Street” like rave-up, all snarling guitars and punchy horns. Cooley sings, “If the table’s tilted, just pay the man who levels the floor,” which is a pretty decent summary of how the characters in the Truckers’ world get by.

The last song, “Grand Canyon,” is a beautiful homage to the Truckers’ longtime tour mate, Craig Lieske, who suffered a fatal heart attack after opening for the band in Athens. This past week at City Winery in New York City, Hood sang the song like a man possessed, eyes closed, head titled back in tribute to a lost friend and their time on the road. “If the recently departed make the sunsets to say farewell to the ones they leave behind there were Technicolor hues to see our sadness through as the sun over Athens said goodbye.

“You always have those friends that you kind of deep down know you’re going to lose, and we end up losing a lot of them. If you live long enough, you lose most of them,” Hood laments. “Lieske was not one of those guys. He was probably the last one on the road crew that I would expect to just die. So it was just such a shock.”

English Oceans is also an album written by men beginning to confront impending middle age. (Hood will turn 50 this year, while Cooley is 47.) Cooley’s “Primer Coat” is about creaking knees and children growing up and marrying out: “Mama’s planning the wedding, daddy’s planning on crying. She’s slipping out of her apron strings. You best leave him be. He’s staring through his own taillights and gathering speed.”

Politics also continues to be a focus on the new album. Hood talked up the chances of Democrats Jason Carter and Michelle Nunn to be elected statewide this November in his state of Georgia, and brags that Carter had put one of the Truckers’ songs on his grandfather Jimmy Carter’s iPod. “I’ll do anything I can to try to help them,” he says.

Two of the album’s songs—“Made up English Oceans” and “The Part of Him”—are about a Lee Atwater-type political operative who “did what he had to do to get southern boys to vote.” That kind of manipulation is a theme throughout the Truckers’ catalogue: “I can make them believe anything. The whole notion is so cynical and ugly and true, but it’s true,” Hood says.

Despite this cynicism, Hood says he is hopeful about the future. “As a culture and a country, we are hitting a tipping point. There’s no shortage of racist assholes and there always will be, but they’re getting less and less empowered, and the people they’ve been trying to oppress are getting more and more empowered.”

Hood is similarly optimistic about the band and the album: “We worked really hard and went through so much. I feel like we got it right this time.”

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm 
Smoke

FT: The New DBT media liaison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:18 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Rick Derris Wrote:
FT: The New DBT media liaison

haha - hood and cooley need to have my ass on retainer

actually, I had originally just planned on posting that first article, but as I happened across the others, I thought I'd share them as well - DBTs are getting some pretty major coverage here of late, for sure

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm 
Whiskey Tango

My favorite revelation from those articles is that nice guy Brad Morgan is the one who finally had to make the "Shonna sucks, beat it" call.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:47 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Yail Bloor Wrote:
My favorite revelation from those articles is that nice guy Brad Morgan is the one who finally had to make the "Shonna sucks, beat it" call.

"KNOW YOUR PLACE"

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 pm 
frostingspoon

It's October and here I am listening to English Oceans for only the second time. I feel guilty, but do go through periods of rest from DBT. The last being during the Decoration Day album cycle. Their set at Bonnaroo was lackluster, and I'm not going to see them at the Ryman at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:05 pm 
Whiskey Tango

discostu Wrote:
It's October and here I am listening to English Oceans for only the second time. I feel guilty, but do go through periods of rest from DBT. The last being during the Decoration Day album cycle. Their set at Bonnaroo was lackluster, and I'm not going to see them at the Ryman at the end of the month.

I listened to it for the first time in a while recently and was surprised by A. How well I knew the songs and B. How much I liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:16 pm 
Go Platinum

Yail Bloor Wrote:
discostu Wrote:

I listened to it for the first time in a while recently and was surprised by A. How well I knew the songs and B. How much I liked it.

I think its much more consistent than the last couple albums, probably due to Cooley stepping up and taking on an equal share of songwriting duties. Yet, it still lacks the one or two tracks that I really like a lot and draw me in to make me want to listen to it. I just loaded up a new 160 GB ipod on Saturday and it didn't make the cut to go on it. Only this one, The Big To Do and the pre-Southern Rock Opera stuff failed to make the cut from their catalog.

Maybe I'd like it more if I saw them play it live with the full band. I saw Cooley and Patterson play together acoustically this year but clearly not the same thing.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:46 pm 
frostingspoon

yeah, I really liked The Big To Do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm 
Go Platinum

discostu Wrote:

I was about to say "really?" and then looked over the track listing and realized I had it confused with Go Go Boots. At least that was the steaming pile of turds I intended to leave off instead of The Big To Do.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:25 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

discostu Wrote:

me, too - but I like english oceans even better

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 pm 
Whiskey Tango

I agree with you Beeg that it doesn't have those one or two anchors that are destined to become live classics, but its solid, and yeah, better than Go Go Boots

I also need to see DBT live and just missed them. Been a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm 
frostingspoon

billy g Wrote:
I just loaded up a new 160 GB ipod....

slight thread derailment here, but you are one of the few people i "know" that care enough about large capacity iPods. did you snag a new one after the announcement of it's demise? i was lucky and grabbed a brand new one for ~$200 online that day solely as a back up. They are now selling for around ~$400 (unopened) on amazon which is crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm 
Go Platinum

e-stone Wrote:
billy g Wrote:

slight thread derailment here, but you are one of the few people i "know" that care enough about large capacity iPods. did you snag a new one after the announcement of it's demise? i was lucky and grabbed a brand new one for ~$200 online that day solely as a back up. They are now selling for around ~$400 (unopened) on amazon which is crazy.

Yeah...I bought a refurbished one for $210 soon after the announcement. Pretty bad timing for me - my old one had been crashing alot and I was having trouble getting it reset. I went to an apple store and they told me I could trade it for a new one for around $50. They got it reset though and hadn't announced that they were discontinuing the ipod yet so I didn't get a new one. Two weeks later, they announced they were discontinuing it and my ipod crapped out for good and prices for new ones went through the roof.

I thought about buying two to have one as a back up but decided against it. I'm hoping that someone else will start making something similar knowing that Apple has exited the market.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:26 pm 
frostingspoon

this is the closest thing i've found - though i really haven't done much searching yet. ~$350, and i love that it has expandable memory (up to 256GB at the moment), but still...i don't know. i'd want someone else to get it first and let me know how they like it!

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:14 pm 
Go Platinum

e-stone Wrote:
this is the closest thing i've found - though i really haven't done much searching yet. ~$350, and i love that it has expandable memory (up to 256GB at the moment), but still...i don't know. i'd want someone else to get it first and let me know how they like it!

Yeah I saw that too. I might have considered it vs paying $400 for a new ipod but when I saw the refurbished model for $210, I figured it was the safer choice plus that one even if it turned out to be otherwise great wouldn't work with my docking stations.

I'd be curious though if anyone has experience with it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 am 
British Press Hype

e-stone Wrote:

I picked up an X5 a few weeks ago on sale for under $300. I've got it loaded up with two 64GB cards full of FLAC files, and it sounds amazing, although its UI leaves a little to be desired, and it's pretty big for a portable player. Here it is compared to my classic (which has seen better days).

As a bonus you can plug it into your computer's USB and use it as a headphone amp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 pm 
frostingspoon

thanks for the comparison shot Donovan. definitely bigger, but not sure that's a dealbreaker.

billy g Wrote:
wouldn't work with my docking stations.

though this is the biggest dealbreaker for me as well really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 pm 
May contain Jesus.

Wait, you guys need to PM me when DBT threads get started up again.

Saw them on the first leg(?) of the EO tour and wasn't really blown away. To be honest, I was glad they took a break because I knew their setlist up, down, and all-around. Nothing new was happening during the shows--which, was good because they were tight, but bad if you want some variance.

I really think the band took a hit live when Neff left.

As for the album--I've run through it enough times to say "meh". Not gonna say it doesn't have its moments, but as a solid record--it left me feeling a bit empty.

Grand Canyon will forever be an end of the night song. It kinda fits where Angels and Fuselage hit.

And to be honest, that's another thing that's missing--Craig. For those of us who lived and died with the band for any period of time, Craig was *the* guy. I remember standing outside of Brooklyn Bowl the day before their New Year's show talking Krautrock albums with him. I remember when he offered us a room in Athens for the next year during the homecoming shows. The guy was the real deal and won't/can't be replaced. He was as much DBT as PH or Cooley.

Unrelated, related--I'm feeling really stupid now for not grabbing a new ipod when it was announced. Dang.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:13 am 
Go Platinum

e-stone Wrote:
billy g Wrote:

I don't pay a blind bit of notice to tech news so this is the first I've heard of this and it's quite terrifying.

I just trawled Amazon and there is nothing out there even approaching the Classic in design or capacity. When these go it will be like 2002 all over again.

I'm on my 2nd Classic and my current one is 2 years old and gets the shit kicked out of it, hopefully it hangs on in there for a while yet. I'd go out and buy a new one today if I could but I just bought a new laptop so I won't be able to buy any new toys for a while.

I hope someone brings out something new as a viable replacement but this is just another example of the music fan being left behind by technology and culture. We are a tiny niche and the big corporations aren't going to stoop to pick up a penny.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2