Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Recent Vinyl Finds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:48 am 
High School Poet

I won several interesting boxes of mixed vinyl for £55 at the auction over the weekend.
There was a lot of chuff but some real gems tucked away including original Stones, Dylan etc.

Although there was a Satanic Majesties with it's daft 3D sleeve I was most pleased with this 1st UK mono pressing
of my 2nd favourite Stones album (there was sadly no first issue of Let It Bleed not that I'm complaining, honest)

I knew nothing about this until I noticed it was on the Sarah label and then a nice surprise to discover it's stupidly rare.

This was a lovely listen, old folk just rabbiting on about sheep and thatching and working with oxen, etc.

Out of a really odd mix of albums this Todd Rundgreny album of Power Pop stood out with some strong tunes.

A private pressing by a raucous local covers band, couldn't find much online about them except that their drummer is dead.

There was a whole bunch of unused flexi-disc greetings cards, probably from the late 50's.

Not a flexi-disc but tucked inside this EMI Xmas card sleeve was the comedians debut from 1968,
I definitely have an earlier disc by him though in the shape of a flexi in a 'Do-It-Yourself Comedians Kit', somewhere...

On the same label and in the same box was this early 7" by Leonard Cohen, someone certainly had eclectic taste.

I had not come across this disc before, released by the Crackerjack 70's TV show star,
alongside him is an early sighting of Lenny Henry who doesn't actually feature on the record, with it's cheeky b-side.

Locally stamped sleeve for the only release by the R&B band who would turn into Family a few years later.

This UK demo is signed on the label but am damned if I can make out who's name it actually is, it doesn't look like Cissy's.

One of the stranger discs in the boxes was this Swedish kinda proggy oddity by Ola & The Janglers.

This is the only 7" I have ever come across with it's own Zoetrope!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:17 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Gardener wrote:
Out of a really odd mix of albums this Todd Rundgreny album of Power Pop stood out with some strong tunes.

especially rundgreny when factoring in the physical resemblance of the bloke on the cover

Profile WWWYIM 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 pm 
High School Poet

all sorts of singles cropped up this week

The first KC 7" with the LP title track split over 2 sides

A pope-ular disc in it's day no doubt

Some old bands debut on a UK test pressing

Cheeky Jacko related cash-in

Tatty sleeve but a great tune

Groovy picture disc by the old Hawkwind fella, the B side is a bit suss

Flexi-disc of the week was this career opportunity offered with Sainsburys

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:04 pm 
High School Poet

a handful of SFX EP's + some 60's South African electronic dance albums found in a field today,
I was most taken by the sleeves of some but it turns out the music is pretty good too.

The 7"s were all by the same duo and the LP's were all by the same guy - though he is not to
be confused with the same Dan Hill who had a big hit in the 70's with Sometimes When We Touch

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:47 pm 
High School Poet

3 mysterious cases offered to me unopened at a garage sale - I couldn't resist so took a £20 punt on them, with mixed results...

Among an awful lot of rubbish I dug out a few gems including these 3 decent compilations.

The title of this turned out to be better than the Dutch band's music on it.

A nice early solo album by the great Bonzo's & Monty Python singer.

Along with dozen Slade & Elton John albums was this nearly mint copy of just the one T.Rex album.

I thought this selection of Stones albums might be the best of the bunch until I turned up an album in a plain white card sleeve.

A private pressing from '73 featuring various folk acts I contacted my friend Wild Willy Barrett who features
un-credited on the last track on side 1 and he replied "it was recorded at Turville Heath folk club run by Len Harman.
The club was held on a Dutch barn full of hay and straw bales with milk churns full of hot water for heating."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am 
High School Poet

A midweek charity shop trawl has turned up some very odd unexpected vinyl. I can only assume it's because most folks are at work
that these records were either still in the racks or waiting by the counter (a smile and a bit of cheek can go a long way with ladies of a certain age)

A fresh batch of albums had "just been put out this morning" at 49p a pop, how could I resist?

I had no idea what this was but it was cheap and I liked the sleeve so I took a punt, turns out to be a lovely Brazillian LP

A box of records that had just been put out was full of Bowie/Prince/Tangerine Dream albums along with a shit load of picture discs...

...along with this Joy Division double album which I was very surprised to find as it still had it's ribbon and outer sleeve,
there was a bit of water damage to the front of it but I was hardly going to put it back now was I?!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:34 pm 
High School Poet

With the car boots pretty much dried up, or rather too waterlogged if today is anything to go by, I'm reduced to my knees in shops
and checking out the local auctions. I had a massive clear-out last week and took 3 big boxes of albums that had been sitting around
here in the cellar for ages to my favourite charity shops, hey it's good karma man, but maybe it was just to make room for some more.

The past few days have turned up some quite unusual things, like this album which I nearly left in a £1 bin but thought I'd take a punt on
and was so pleased I did as it's really nice. I did some deeper searching on the artist and he's gone on to do TV themes for everything from
The Windsors to the ITV News and loads more, this was his debut album.

Luckily my copy isn't as scratched as this track sounds on Youtube

The one below was in the same box but wasn't half as good.

I met with Trunk Records label boss Jonny Trunk earlier in the week to discuss a forthcoming book on flexi-discs we are
putting together with DJ Food for publication in the new year. After I was waffling on about flexis and Milton Keynes radio
he suddenly said how much he'd been looking for a Milton Keynes related flexi which I quite fortunately had a spare copy of.
So he very kindly offered to swap it for his new soundtrack album which landed on my doorstep the day after.
He was a lovely chap and I look forward to the book launch sometime around March 2019 at The British Library in that London.

This is the video I put up a while back featuring the music on it, don't be surprised if it turns up on a future Trunk release.

I couldn't resist this pair of signed old folk albums, by old folk no doubt.

I came across this unusual 7" slipped between some rubbish records in a box in a shop, I couldn't find anything
about it anywhere but it seems like it was a special pressing for the birthday party of the lady on the cover. She was
married to Tommy Tucker, who I assume is the same one who hit the charts in the early 60's with Hi Heel Sneakers
and their friends must have got together to make a one off single to celebrate her special day, it's a likely theory unless anyone knows more?

My best auction win of the week (for £6 + commission) were 2 x Century 21 albums from the mid 60's
that were both in beautiful, excellent+ condition. I have seen other copies before but they are usually pretty
well played and scratched as those pesky kids just didn't think to look after their records back in '65.
But it seems likely these were only played a couple of times and stored which is most unusual for Century 21 records.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm 
High School Poet

A couple of nice and cheap vinyl surprises turned up at the tip shop under piles of old clothes right in the corner, just over there by the bins.
The top one is a soundtrack album which featured an odd mix of garage rockers The Pretty Things and Library Music giant Alan Hawkshaw!

But I was most excited by this one below as the label can turn up real obscure gems, the label had 'Folk Rock 1969'
written on one side of it which sounded very promising - however after listening through it turns out to be a school
production of Handel's Messiah. Damn, that monster rare and previously un-heard of Folk Rock classic had alluded me.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13