Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Aw, Ashlee had reflux! It all makes sense now. . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:17 am 
Bedroom Demos

I've been following this story with complete and unwaivering anger. . .

And now her dad says that it happened because his precious little daughter had acid reflux:

Simpson Dad Blames Acid Reflux for Gaffe
(AP, 10/26/2004 7:00 AM)

By David Bauder

If Ashlee Simpson 's stomach was upset Saturday night, imagine how she's feeling now. The 19-year-old singer was busted for a "Saturday Night Live" lip-synch gone awry. Her manager-father said Monday his daughter used the extra help because acid reflux disease had made her voice hoarse.

"Just like any artist in America, she has a backing track that she pushes so you don't have to hear her croak through a song on national television," Joe Simpson told Ryan Seacrest on Los Angeles radio station KIIS-FM. "No one wants to hear that."

He insisted it would be Ashlee's live voice alone during her appearance on NBC's "Radio Music Awards" Monday night.

And he said she's never used the extra help onstage before.

"The whole situation was a bummer," Ashlee Simpson said in an interview on MTV's "Total Request Live."

Simpson had performed her hit single "Pieces of Me" without incident earlier on "SNL." When she came back a second time, her band started playing and the first lines of her singing "Pieces of Me" could be heard again.

She was holding her microphone at her waist at the time. Simpson looked momentarily confused as the band plowed ahead with the song and the vocal was quickly silenced.

A flustered Simpson made some exaggerated hopping dance moves, then walked off the stage.

She told "TRL" that she and her band didn't know what to do. "I think all of us went into a state of shock," she said.

The incident exposed what many consider an obvious secret: that some singers who appear onstage aren't singing live at all, or at least have their voices augmented by backing tracks. And it's happened before on "Saturday Night Live," too, executive producer Lorne Michaels told the Associated Press.

"She was mortified and in her dressing room, but (producer) Marci (Klein) got her to come out for goodnights and explained that it wasn't the end of the world. It wasn't her fault," Michaels told AP Radio.

"Every artist that I know in this business has had vocal problems at some time — from Celine on down," said Joe Simpson, also father of Jessica Simpson . "So you've got to do what you've got to do."

He said it was his decision to use the tapes when it became apparent that acid reflux disease had swollen Ashlee's vocal cords. After consulting Wayne Newton 's doctor, she received a cortisone shot to get her ready for the "Radio Music Awards," he said.

It was the band's drummer who pushed the wrong button onstage, he said.

Said Michaels: "If she were a more seasoned performer then I think that she would've taken charge and said, `No, let's start this over again.'"

To add to Ashlee's indignity Monday, eBay.com was auctioning off her private cell phone number, which it said had been inadvertently, and briefly, posted on her Web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:28 am 
British Press Hype

The funny thing is almost everyone will believe it. America is full of stupid people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:34 am 
Street Teamer

my dad has acid reflux. you don't see HIM lip syncing. TWAT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:04 pm 
Bedroom Demos

the thing that pisses me off most is when the dad says "like every artist in america. . ."

really? REALLY???

. . .total dogshit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:45 pm 
frostingspoon

did she sing well last night?

hehe

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:47 pm 
Bedroom Demos

If she has Acid Reflux that bad at 19, I think she has bigger problems then singing.

Who believes this crap. What 19 year old has ANYONE ever heard of who couldn't even speak from it. At 19, she should be eating pepperoni and hot tomale pizza's with liters of soda.

What a bunch of crap... and besides... she is a talentless hack.

I was forced to watch her this morning state that she writes all her own songs, and music.. Yea... that's believeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:06 pm 
Hipster Backlash

well, every pop artist...

the biggest story in music today that i don't care about? yep, this one.

KPH

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop