Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Stupid Election
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:53 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

A plane just flew by with a banner advertising one of the goons running for Attorney General here in WA. I'm sick of the commercials and I only watch about 3 hours of tv a week. I'm tired of the 'street teamers.' Maybe it's because I wasn't paying too much attention before, but this year seems nutty with all this crap. Land Commish... Intitiative blah blah blah. Sigh. Can't wait until next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:58 pm 
Go Platinum

i get a call from the governor almost everyday reminding me to vote on november 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:58 pm 
frostingspoon

election?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:47 pm 
Go Platinum

Hopefully, it will be decided next week, and not drag on for another month... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:30 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

rendell called you? that motherfucker never calls me, and i was at the raly the other day...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:42 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Cotton Wrote:
rendell called you? that motherfucker never calls me, and i was at the raly the other day...

Bob Casey should be Governor of your state, anyway ;)

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:09 pm 
Go Platinum

Cotton Wrote:

well, yesterday was a recording from danny glover. maybe i'll get rendell's "i just wanted to remind you..." message today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:11 pm 
frostingspoon

in the past two days, i've had phone messages at home from martina navratolva (sp?) and ed koch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:25 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

elephantstone Wrote:
in the past two days, i've had phone messages at home from martina navratolva (sp?) and ed koch.

Who is Martina trying to get you to vote for? I saw Koch on The Daily Show endorsing Bush. Martina must be pro-Kerry. What with the whole lesbian, whoop any man in the bar thing going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:27 pm 
Go Platinum

This reminds me, I need to mail my absentee ballot in. I keep forgetting to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:18 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

Z Wrote:
Cotton Wrote:

well, yesterday was a recording from danny glover. maybe i'll get rendell's "i just wanted to remind you..." message today.

seriously? i feel so left out. I feel like between my being registered green and not having a land line people are taking me for granted.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:51 pm 
frostingspoon

kabob Wrote:
elephantstone Wrote:

Who is Martina trying to get you to vote for? I saw Koch on The Daily Show endorsing Bush. Martina must be pro-Kerry. What with the whole lesbian, whoop any man in the bar thing going on.

yeah, koch was some spiel about stem cell and bush...martina was telling me how important it is to vote this year especially for gays and lesbians. hmmm...maybe there is something my wife hasn't told me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:29 pm 
Go Platinum

Have you guys heard about this???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/n ... 956129.stm

New Florida vote scandal feared

By Greg Palast
Reporting for BBC's Newsnight

A secret document obtained from inside Bush campaign headquarters in Florida suggests a plan - possibly in violation of US law - to disrupt voting in the state's African-American voting districts, a BBC Newsnight investigation reveals.

Two e-mails, prepared for the executive director of the Bush campaign in Florida and the campaign's national research director in Washington DC, contain a 15-page so-called "caging list".

It lists 1,886 names and addresses of voters in predominantly black and traditionally Democrat areas of Jacksonville, Florida.

An elections supervisor in Tallahassee, when shown the list, told Newsnight: "The only possible reason why they would keep such a thing is to challenge voters on election day."

Ion Sancho, a Democrat, noted that Florida law allows political party operatives inside polling stations to stop voters from obtaining a ballot.

Mass challenges

They may then only vote "provisionally" after signing an affidavit attesting to their legal voting status.

Mass challenges have never occurred in Florida. Indeed, says Mr Sancho, not one challenge has been made to a voter "in the 16 years I've been supervisor of elections."

"Quite frankly, this process can be used to slow down the voting process and cause chaos on election day; and discourage voters from voting."

Sancho calls it "intimidation." And it may be illegal.

In Washington, well-known civil rights attorney, Ralph Neas, noted that US federal law prohibits targeting challenges to voters, even if there is a basis for the challenge, if race is a factor in targeting the voters.

The list of Jacksonville voters covers an area with a majority of black residents.

When asked by Newsnight for an explanation of the list, Republican spokespersons claim the list merely records returned mail from either fundraising solicitations or returned letters sent to newly registered voters to verify their addresses for purposes of mailing campaign literature.

Republican state campaign spokeswoman Mindy Tucker Fletcher stated the list was not put together "in order to create" a challenge list, but refused to say it would not be used in that manner.

Rather, she did acknowledge that the party's poll workers will be instructed to challenge voters, "Where it's stated in the law."

There was no explanation as to why such clerical matters would be sent to top officials of the Bush campaign in Florida and Washington.

Private detective

In Jacksonville, to determine if Republicans were using the lists or other means of intimidating voters, we filmed a private detective filming every "early voter" - the majority of whom are black - from behind a vehicle with blacked-out windows.

The private detective claimed not to know who was paying for his all-day services.

On the scene, Democratic Congresswoman Corinne Brown said the surveillance operation was part of a campaign of intimidation tactics used by the Republican Party to intimidate and scare off African American voters, almost all of whom are registered Democrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:01 pm 
frostingspoon

Vote Quimby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:48 pm 
frostingspoon

No really.
What election?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:10 pm 
KILLFILED

I think it is poor judgment to have a roll of African-Americans dubbed a "caging list".

Dred Scott, indeed.

Or, in Polish, Derzd Skotawski.

(I never forget Poland, or my wood... 'Cause, it's Morning in America!)

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop