Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: The Earlies, These Were
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:46 am 
Worldwide Phenomenon

I listen to this album today and was blown away, after not really paying attention before. No good at reviews so I will post some links. They remind me of the Flaming Lips more than anyone else.

http://www.rockfeedback.com/article.asp?nObjectID=2516

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=2177

http://www.fastnbulbous.com/review.htm

Is anyone else feeling this album like I have today?

Last edited by Bee OK on Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:00 am 
Worldwide Phenomenon

Though he is totally off with the Super Furry Animals comparison this is a great review. You have to scroll to it so I posted it instead, if you mind Tony tell me through PM and I will never do it again.

Fastnbulbous Wrote:
The Earlies, These Were The Earlies (Peacefrog) 9+

With two members each from Texas and England, composing songs by swapping fragments across the Atlantic years before ever meeting, The Earlies appropriately merge traditions of Texas psychedelic freaks the Red Krayola, Euphoria, The 13th Floor Elevators and Butthole Surfers with more up-to-date English psychedelia and electronica. The result sounds more like the orchestral pop of Mercury Rev circa the mid-90s and Spiritualized. These Were The Earlies avoids sounding dated by mixing in electronic beats and whooshes amongst the woodwinds, sawtooths, euphonium and Chinese puzzle bass, like a less dense Manitoba. Brandon Carr’s vocals are somewhat limited, but he knows this and keeps the melodies short and simple, like the Delgados augmented with Beach Boys harmonies. The lyrics are fittingly dreamy and metaphysical, such as “Slow Man’s Dream” and “One Of Us Is Dead.” The only shortcoming is despite the sweet tunefulness, the songs sometimes break down into pure soundscapes before they seem finished.

Fortunately these washes of inventive sound are almost always breathtaking. Pianos warble, orchestras rise and collapse with a sigh. And once the sounds are introduced and influences identified, repeated listens reveal this to be a very special album. More fragments of lyrics sink in, revealing yearning for home, wide-eyed wonder and uplifting joy. But not in the overbearing way that The Polyphonic Spree tries to bulldoze you with. Song after song, from “Wayward Song,” “Slow Man’s Dream” to “25 Easy Pieces”, The Earlies demonstrate a masterful balance of subtlety and bombast that rivals The Flaming Lips and Super Furry Animals. These Were The Earlies will integrate itself into your routines, as its beauty enhances your enjoyment of sights and sensations like the moon’s reflection in the water, the summer air caressing like warm silk.

np:Image

Post subject: Dig it.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:28 am 
frostingspoon

I like this record, but need to listen much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:30 pm 
Worldwide Phenomenon

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:45 pm 
Worldwide Phenomenon

I've mentioned this before, but these are my boys - Brandon, the lead singer, at least. I bought the album the day it came out - or maybe even preordered it on rough trade. I have had the tracks in digital form over the past two years as they were developed, and have kept track of Brandon's success. The drummer of Brandon's old band, The Danes, was one of my groomsmen, and now plays in a band called the Golden Falcons.

If any of you are interested, IM me some time when I am online, and I'll be glad to share you the earlies, the danes or the golden falcons' tracks that I have.

every time that i see these guys get attention it makes me happy. thanks, Bee.OK!

. . . oh yeah, and they don't suck ;)

np: low - lullabye (demo)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:57 pm 
British Press Hype

Stylus gives almost everything a 9, so a 7 must mean either:

1. the album really sucks

or

2. Stylus should die a horrible internet death.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop