Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:08 am 
frostingspoon

Pagoda Wrote:
I do believe that UGA was in fact the first Land Grant College and not the Public College.
yeah, it's all semantic at this point. i just had to look it up because i knew that chapel hill told me they were the oldest, and the gf was saying that WM told her they were the oldest and then here comes the blusterbus saying that GA was then oldest and they're all basically making it up. it's like TV vs intercontinental champs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:10 am 
Indie Debut

chase Wrote:
Pagoda Wrote:
I do believe that UGA was in fact the first Land Grant College and not the Public College.
yeah, it's all semantic at this point. i just had to look it up because i knew that chapel hill told me they were the oldest, and the gf was saying that WM told her they were the oldest and then here comes the blusterbus saying that GA was then oldest and they're all basically making it up. it's like TV vs intercontinental champs.

I know the debate between UGA and UNC is that UGA got its charter 1st but UNC started class first. William & Mary is not a true public institution, although they do receive state assistance from Virginia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:13 am 
frostingspoon

Pagoda Wrote:
William & Mary is not a true public institution, although they are in fact a bunch of little bitches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:31 am 
Smoke

chase Wrote:
Pagoda Wrote:

Hey, common ground people. We can both hate Georgia Tech.

The one good thing I took from this past sports weekend was the fact that Tech lost to Va Tech. THey were a 19 1/2 point fave and Va Tech had not beaten a top 20 team in 20 years or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:33 am 
frostingspoon

Rick Derris Wrote:
i would get into that, but their basketball team as late has me feeling sorry for them. how about duke, do you hate duke? i like anyone that hates duke. or Alabama? does anyone hate alabama anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:40 am 
Smoke

chase Wrote:
Rick Derris Wrote:
i would get into that, but they're basketball team as late has me feeling sorry for them. how about duke, do you hate duke? i like anyone that hates duke. or Alabama? does anyone hate alabama anymore?

Yes, I hate Duke. I hate Dick Vitale even more for all of the ass kissing he gives Coach K. The thing about Tech is that last year, around here at least, all of the Techies came out of the woodwork when Tech was making their run last year. Paul Hewitt was getting "genius" praise and the shit talking was flying. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. They have the same exact team and they just don't have it right now. That's not to say they won't get it together but I'm enjoying it right now.

As for Alabama, it's kind of a weird relationship that UGA and Bama has. We play each other in football so infrequently that a hatred never really developed. Don't get me wrong though, I lived in Alabama for about 10 months for work and I know how blindly they believe that the Bear is comiing back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:43 am 
frostingspoon

if you hate duke i'll hate any sec school that you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:47 am 
frostingspoon

I've lost track of college hoops the past couple of years. Don't know who I should hate.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:17 pm 
Still Big in Japan

frostingspoon Wrote:
I've lost track of college hoops the past couple of years. Don't know who I should hate.
Just don't hate Gonzaga

"Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"

"Exactly"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:20 pm 
Smoke

DHRjericho Wrote:
frostingspoon Wrote:
Just don't hate Gonzaga

Oh no, they don't get a free pass anymore. Their time as the feel good underdog just won't cut it anymore. They're a perennial top 20 team these days which makes them worthy of hate from someone. Not me necessarily, but from someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:22 pm 
frostingspoon

DHRjericho Wrote:
Just don't hate Gonzaga

...or Xavier

Profile WWWYIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:39 pm 
Whiskey Tango

chase Wrote:
Yail Bloor Wrote:
uh, yeah it is Chasey; 1789 my friend.
first of all, please don't call me chasey, only my mom does that. what does that date reference? this is the best that i found:

Wikipedia Wrote:
UNC operated as a state university before any other in America. The University of Georgia was chartered in 1785, but did not open its doors until 1801. The College of Charleston opened in 1770, and was chartered in 1785, but was a private school until 1836, when it became a municipal college; it did not join the South Carolina state university system until 1970. The College of William and Mary was founded in 1693, but was a private institution until 1906. Which of those schools should be called the oldest state university is a subject of debate; however, UNC is the only public university in the United States that awarded degrees as a public institution in the eighteenth century.

that might be the most georgian thing that i've ever heard, creating a school and then having the patience to not actually open it for 16 years ;)

Yeah it is 1785; and yeah that is a truly Georgian thing to not open a university for 16 years; you know with the inbreeding and slavery and all-who's got time man?

Sorry Chase-ster (or el-Chase-arino if you're into the whole brevity thing) NOBODY calls me Chrissy except my grandma.....

Sorry to raise the static kiddies but ill be back to lash out and cut a few more promos later. Mike Jones

And, Mike Jones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:39 pm 
Still Big in Japan

Rick Derris Wrote:
DHRjericho Wrote:
frostingspoon Wrote:
Just don't hate Gonzaga

Oh no, they don't get a free pass anymore. Their time as the feel good underdog just won't cut it anymore. They're a perennial top 20 team these days which makes them worthy of hate from someone. Not me necessarily, but from someone.

That's exactly why they shouldn't be hated. Gonzaga made themselves a Top 20 program playing in a mid-major conference. The only people with a stake in hating the Zags are WCC opponents and maybe the Huskies, Cougs, and EWU eagles.

"Exactly"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:42 pm 
Post-Breakup Solo Project

DHRjericho Wrote:
Busty Rhodes Wrote:
I'd love to do this all night man. But I just don't have time. You win. You're the best.

If i make it back to Wisconsin this summer we should meet up at the Essen Haus and have a few beers.

That'd be cool. Just let me know and I'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:46 pm 
Still Big in Japan

Busty Rhodes Wrote:
DHRjericho Wrote:
Busty Rhodes Wrote:
I'd love to do this all night man. But I just don't have time. You win. You're the best.

If i make it back to Wisconsin this summer we should meet up at the Essen Haus and have a few beers.

I just have to save up for plane tickets.

"Exactly"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:25 pm 
Post-Breakup Solo Project

DHRjericho Wrote:
Busty Rhodes Wrote:
DHRjericho Wrote:
Busty Rhodes Wrote:

I just have to save up for plane tickets.

Right on. I'll be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:22 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

i used to just hate duke. now i'm kinda hatin' on UNC lately. maybe i should just hold my breath for NC state's revival. or 'Nova's ha ha ha

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:35 pm 
frostingspoon

chase Wrote:
if you hate duke i'll hate any sec school that you want.

i don't know if this is gonna work for you....

i hate duke first, and with my second choice, i choose unc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:38 pm 
frostingspoon

unc's not in the sec though. very american reach-around attempt, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:42 pm 
frostingspoon

dude, i totally thought you meant sec as shorthand for second...meaning "if you hate duke, i'll hate any second school you want [along with you]".

edit: it's pretty obvious i just skimmed this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:15 pm 
Go Platinum

Cotton Wrote:
i used to just hate duke. now i'm kinda hatin' on UNC lately. maybe i should just hold my breath for NC state's revival. or 'Nova's ha ha ha

Wow, I can't believe you even mentioned NC State. Most people forget about them what with Duke and UNC. Nice going, Cotton.
:thumbsup:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

tommy up until my parents moved in 1999 i had a FULOL six pack of Wolfpack cola in my room from ther big upset. I cant believe that those didn't make the move. I think the only thing lost or thrown away that i'm still superpissed about.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm 
frostingspoon

long live marianfvdge Wrote:

Wow, I can't believe you even mentioned NC State. Most people forget about them what with Duke and UNC. Nice going, Cotton.

oh, thanks for the beating last weekend tommy. man, maryland looks so damn bad.

my wife got us tickets to fly back and go to the md v. unc game at the end of february. pssst...don't tell her, but i don't even want to go anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Benvolio Wrote:
Senator Crunk LooGAR Wrote:
chase Wrote:
Senator Crunk LooGAR Wrote:
Also, first public university in the nation,
this is not exactly true.

MIKE JONES, muggafucka..I said PUBLIC, not private, like W&M, Harvard, or wherever yo daddy was touching small children

But, when did TJ endow UVa? And, isn't Penn a public university, Ivy or not?

Apres his presidency, I think, b/c he copied UGA's North Campus layout for the layout of his schools for asshats and punk bitches (I HATE UVA}

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 am 
Go Platinum

elephantstone Wrote:
long live marianfvdge Wrote:

oh, thanks for the beating last weekend tommy. man, maryland looks so damn bad.

my wife got us tickets to fly back and go to the md v. unc game at the end of february. pssst...don't tell her, but i don't even want to go anymore.

No problem. Although I thought it was going to end up like last year's ACC semifinal game. Up huge at the half, let it piss away in the second. Thankfully, we didn't collapse like we did in the rest of our ACC games (we have had double digit leads in all of them, and we are 2-3).

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next