Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Tales from the bus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:28 pm 
frostingspoon

Following up on this post from last month, I figure I have regular, daily bus rides in my future, so I'll probably have enough material to fill out a respectable 2nd-rate thread.

in november I Wrote:
FANTASTIC experience on the bus ride home from downtown today:

So there's this old black homeless dude with a baseball cap sitting across from me, with a wad of panties in his hand, sourced from a duffle bag sitting next to him. He's selling them. And he is one Hell of a salesman. Dude is working it. All the panties are black, cotton, with some sort of pricetags on them. He's letting them go for the lowlow price of $1 each. Every girl that comes on, he gives them the pitch, and he's pretty damn good.

So I have earphones in, and am intermittantly tuning him in and out. When I notice the girl next to me talking to him, I hit pause.

"C'mon, now, you gotta buy a pair of these panties. They COTTON. They gonna last you a long time. Girls always need more panties" etc.

So sure enough she eventually buys a pair after being worked on for 5 minutes. From an old homeless dude on the city bus. I was fairly astounded that she planned on putting these things on her coochie.

Then, he starts in on her about some bottles of lotion. Dove somethin or other, and Nivea. Pulls them out of the bag. No dice. So he goes for the quantity sell-up... "I'll give ya 2 more pair for a buck fifty. C'mon, I need to buy a pack of cigarettes." She gives in and buys two more pairs of panties. From a dirty old dude on the bus.

And right about the time I'm thinking he's just a "really good" fucking salesman, he kicks it into the Sales Stratosphere. A homeless white guy, late 50's, looking BAD gets on and sits in front of me. Big bruise under one eye, greenish skin, stubble, 3 earrings, walking and talking really slowly, either drunk, on medication, or just in reeeeally shitty shape... ...fucking Dude starts trying to sell him panties. I hit pause again to hear it, literally scooting to the edge of my seat.

He starts in about "don't you have a girlfriend, you should buy her some panties." But the guy says No, I have a boyfriend, but then gets embarassed. But Dude doesn't miss a beat - "He gon' look REAL good wearin these black panties, prancin' around in some high heels. You KNOW you wanna see that shit tonight." Everyone chuckles.

...he eventually fucking bought 2 pair. That was seriously the finest example of pure salesmanship I have ever seen. It was like watching some vegas magician make a porsche dissappear.

Right. So Yesterday:

Get on, go a few stops, and a huge dude behind me gets up and walks over in front of me. I'm sitting just behind the side doors, and he stands in the free space in front of them. He looks tired, is rubbing his face, and looking up at the ceiling of the bus a lot.

Looking a little more closely at him, I see he has 2 things in his hands - a disposable razor, and a can of shaving cream. I think, "huh, that's wierd, not to have those in a bag" and figure he just came from Walgreens or some shit.

Then I see that as he rubs his face, his hand is leaving a white trail... he's applying shaving cream. Sure enough, he starts shaving. And he's not looking at the ceiling, he's looking at the convex mirror mounted on it. He did a pretty good job, too.

Last time, I was pissed at myself for not getting a picture, so this time I made sure to.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm 
The fucking cluemaster

jesus that's awesome

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:40 pm 
Go Platinum

I should take the bus more often

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:41 pm 
Go Platinum

I ride the bus everyday but Sunday and I've never seen anything like that.
I have recently heard great stories about a guy who has wrecked two cars recently in what I am guessing are alcohol related incidents and is awaiting a trial where he will most likely lose his license again. This time for a very long period time. Through his conversation with another guy, I learned where all the good AA meetings are held at.

I also get to hear young black teenage girls scream and cuss into their cell phones at unbelievably high volumes without even noticing the rest of the passengers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:42 pm 
frostingspoon

So as not to arouse suspicion, I used the "take a picture without opening your phone" feature, by the way, which is handy as shit.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm 
Go Platinum

Promethium Wrote:
I also get to hear young black teenage girls scream and cuss into their cell phones at unbelievably high volumes without even noticing the rest of the passengers.

this goes for pretty much any teenage girl on public transportation.

a few months ago, two girls got on the bus two blocks before my stop. one of them said, "are you serious? you lazy." they got off at my stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm 
The fucking cluemaster

Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:
So as not to arouse suspicion, I used the "take a picture without opening your phone" feature, by the way, which is handy as shit.

your cell takes a pretty damn good picture too

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:14 pm 
Go Platinum

Thread needs a version of The Greaseman's "Waiting On The Bus" as background music. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:17 pm 
British Press Hype

Awesome catch Cap'n..The craziest thing i ever saw was someone smoking crack in the back corner of an el car. Pretty shady..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:22 pm 
frostingspoon

I have it on good authority that my bus is "tame" compared to some of the fringe routes. May have to branch out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:43 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

I should start one of these for my laundromat experiences. Last night, halfway through the drying cycle and my second high life, this homeless dude stumbled in and lectured me about the evils of drinking (he had a bunch of AA/NA chips tied to his bag) for like ten minutes until I just told him I didn't care and went on reading my book. Five minutes later he stumbled back in and clearly didn't remember me from just moments before. and he asked me if he could have the tabs from my emptys. I said sure and he told me that some child gets a free minute of dialysis for every tab that he...

I told him that I didn't care again and then he left. So I got the fuck out of there before he could come back.

The Obgoblin Wrote:
Awesome catch Cap'n..The craziest thing i ever saw was someone smoking crack in the back corner of an el car. Pretty shady..

a friend of mine had a guy stumble into her El car covered in his own blood and a razor in one hand. He said he had AIDS and was going to start cutting people.

yeah, the El funny. I usually would just see dudes beating off on it though.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:46 pm 
frostingspoon

yeah an old guy last night was yelling all the way across Washington at two younger guys who were walking their dog...

"HEY! PUT THAT DOG ON A LEASH!! HE NEEDS TO BE ON A LEASH! HE'S A TERRIER, AND HE GOT BIG TEETH. IF I SEE HIM NEAR ME, I'MA SHOOT 'IM!!"

It was a fucking poodle.
And that road is 5 lanes wide.
And I'm 90% sure it WAS on a leash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:52 pm 
The Listerine Queen

Good thread.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:52 pm 
frostingspoon

That dude has no pupils. He's like a demon.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:55 pm 
frostingspoon

timmyjoe42 Wrote:
That dude has no pupils. He's like a demon.

...I didn't look at it that way. Creepy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:59 pm 
frostingspoon

1/09/08

Hopped on the bus, got halfway home, and what appeared to be a genuine crackhead lady got on (not coincidentally at the stop by the pine street inn). She's got pretty fucked up hair, she's twitchy, and she's not happy. She wants this one particular front seat, but there's a guy sitting in it. Solution? Spit on him. She hocks a big 'ol loogie right on him and says "Giiit UP!!" He does, and tells the driver what happened. She pulls over right there and tries to kick her off.

But she's not going. Argument ensues, for several minutes.

"You got to get off my bus, I can't have you spitting on my riders."
"GAPLLE G'BAA Mmm muh.... you cain't kick me I GOT A TICKET!"
"M'GAAAA GAAA JUST go on, you go ahead an DRIIIIVE"
"You gonna get off my bus?"
"nnnnNNNNOOOOO. NO! I got a ticket!!!"

etc.

So the driver calls the cops, and we all sit in silence and wait. It only took 5 or 6 minutes, and a cop showed up and got her off without much trouble. I took a picture of him doing it, but somehow I didn't save it. I failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:02 am 
Queen of Obner

It had been slow at Ye Ol' Bus Stop. Glad to hear things have picked up.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03 am 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

I can't say for sure, but I probably would have done a LOT more than just get up and tell the bus driver.

Something akin to "What the fuck is your problem you fucking crackhead cunt?' would have escaped my lips before I even really realized what he had done.

Cap 'n -- get your company to send a car for you, dude. You're too goo to ride the bus.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 am 
frostingspoon

And miss all this?

Plus think of how robust my immune system is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 am 
Rape Gaze

i'm glad i have a car.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 am 
Second Album Slump

A few weeks ago on my bus ride home from work, a well-dressed but clearly intoxicated gentleman plopped down on the seat next to me. He promptly fell asleep and snoozed for the next 25 minutes or so. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until he suddenly sat straight up, pulled a coach's whistle out of his front pocket, blew it one time at a near-deafening volume, and passed right back out. Incredible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 am 
Post-Breakup Solo Project

damn. i ride the *same* bus every day and don't see half the shit cap'n is describing. then again, i'm usually toward the back listening to music and reading. i need to keep my eyes peeled. keep the thread going and i'll report back.

great stories by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:22 am 
Alcoholic National Treasure

yeah this actually makes me sorta miss public transpo.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm 
frostingspoon

It was a decent picture of the cop, too. Why the fuck didn't I save it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:43 pm 
frostingspoon

If I went through the memory banks, I'm sure I could come up with a few good London stories, but damn if Kyle doesn't spin a good yarn.

Profile WWWYIM 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next