Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: My latest obner: Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:30 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Progressive indie rock? This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Getting close to album of the year for me - top 5 for sure. Lots of time spent on infinite repeat around here lately. And yes, this post may have appeared in a similar form on another website recently. You got a problem with that? Hehehe, I'm only good for about one original thought per day so I hope you can keep a sock in it if you've seen this before ;)

So....what's your latest addiction, fellow obnerheads?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: addictions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:33 pm 
Go Platinum

my latest addictions =

"medulla" bjork
"hot fuss" the killers
"funeral" the arcade fire
the libertines

i have that pinback cd on order via ebay. looking forward to it.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:35 pm 
Go Platinum

For me, its currently....

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Blonde Redhead - Misery Is A Butterfly
British Sea Power - The Decline Of...
The Delgados - Hate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:52 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I'm not gonna add anything new just reiterate Davey's opinion about Pinback. This too is one of my faves from this year. A lot of people knock Pinback saying a lot of their songs sound the same. I think it has something to do with Zach's base sounds. His style if unique for sure but if you're just passively listening one song can run into the next, i think. Unless you give it repeated, intense listens it can sound similar.

I love this new album, too. It's a nice continuation from the OFfcell ep, which you should definitely check out if you like Summer in Abaddon. The last track on the ep, Grey Machine is 11 min of intertwined vocal melodies, that staccato bass playing and drumming. It is wicked.

As well, I've never been much of a fan of Blue Screen Life. Kinda mellow and a little boring. It falls into that trap of sounding too similar. However, their first s/t is amazing, too.

So good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:55 pm 
Go Platinum

My latest obsessions:
Razorlight
Arcade Fire
Eagles of Death Metal
Mr. Airplane Man
The Futureheads

:rawk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:00 pm 
Failed Reunion

I was hoping it would be Animal Collective and Of Montreal, but I'm not feeling those records.

I'm really feeling the new Interpol though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:08 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

I've been at a music-stall for the past month or so. Haven't been super excited about anything new, although I haven't been searching much. I find myself listening to a bunch of old stuff I've already listened to a million times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:27 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Spade Kitty Wrote:
I was hoping it would be Animal Collective...

I did really feel it for that one, but that was a few months ago and I'm not sure I feel it quite like that anymore. I've been away from it for awhile because I moved and had to put most of my music in storage and I didn't pick that one to bring with me. Wish I did because I used to listen to it a lot. Definitely a messy record.

That new avatar of yours is kinda scary too :)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:43 pm 
Go Platinum

i've been disappointed in summer in abaddon. it's just not affecting me the way otehr pinback albums have. i'm hoping it just needs to soak in a bit more because i've only played it a few times. i don't feel there's anything that matches their best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:01 pm 
frostingspoon

Ahhhhh, it's Kermit's evil Japonese twin!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:35 pm 
Go Platinum

Quote:
Originally posted by ifihadahifi:
As well, I've never been much of a fan of Blue Screen Life. Kinda mellow and a little boring.

It's interesting that you say that because, on a completely subjective level, I think that Blue Screen Life is my favorite. On top of that...I think that Summer in Abaddon is a rather wonderful contribution of both the s/t and Blue Screen Life. I hear moments of both but sonically it seems that they've melded those two albums together rather well. Ultimately, it's still Pinback. It's pretty much what you'd expect. THey did not deviate from their/his sound too much. I think it's a great album. A little more laid back then BSL but overall quality music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:07 pm 
Forever moderating your hearts

i need to check this out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:37 pm 
frostingspoon

I dig the new Pinback. I listened to it non-stop for 4 straight runs through my car CD player. The melodies finally got lodged were I needed them to.
I don't really have any obsessions as of late, but am just starting my first entire listen to the new Wolf Eyes.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop