Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: ashlee simpson "singing" again tonight. uhoh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:22 pm 
Go Platinum

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 299.htm?1c

Ashlee Simpson to Sing Live Again Tonight

DAVID BAUDER

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Singer Ashlee Simpson gets another chance to sing live - perhaps - on national television Monday after walking off "Saturday Night Live" in a does-she-or-doesn't-she lip-synch moment.

Simpson is scheduled to perform in Las Vegas for NBC's "Radio Music Awards," scheduled to be televised at 9 p.m. ET.

The 19-year-old was the talk of the Internet after Saturday's show.

Her record company blamed a computer glitch and she blamed her band, which cut off her planned performance of the song "Autobiography" on the network comedy show.

Simpson had performed her hit single "Pieces of Me" without incident earlier in the show. When she came back a second time, her band started playing and the first lines of her singing "Pieces of Me" could be heard again.

She was holding her microphone at her waist at the time. Simpson looked momentarily confused as the band plowed ahead with the song and the vocal was quickly silenced.

Simpson made some exaggerated hopping dance moves, then walked off the stage 35 seconds into the performance. NBC quickly cut to a commercial.

"What can I say?" guest host Jude Law said with Simpson standing next to him at the end of the show. "Live TV."

"Exactly," Simpson said. "I feel so bad. My band started playing the wrong song. I didn't know what to do so I thought I'd do a hoe-down."

Her record company, Geffen Records, said that instead of some pretaped electronic percussion, the recording of "Pieces of Me" started.

But it sounded suspiciously like a guide vocal that's a common - although almost always unspoken - concert aid. Either the singer "lip synchs" by mouthing words to a backing tape or has a live microphone and sings along to the tape, making the voice sound more powerful than it is.

Simpson's walk-off joins the lore of other unexpected music moments on "SNL": Elvis Costello stopping and changing songs on live TV, and Sinead O'Connor tearing up a picture of the pope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:23 pm 
frostingspoon

MTV spin...

Ashlee Owns Up, Takes Responsibility For 'SNL' Lip-Synch Snafu

Singer says her voice was ragged from too much work.

by Jennifer Vineyard

Although she'd initially blamed her band, Ashlee Simpson took full responsibility Sunday for her lip-synching snafu on "Saturday Night Live," saying that her voice was ragged from too much work.

"I can't cancel something like 'SNL,' " she
said in a post to her official Web site. "You and I know that even if I synched on it or not, I'd still get seen by millions, maybe even make a few more fans. I'll hold my head high and say I think it was silly of me to do it, silly of me to blame the band, I was just so f---ing embarrassed. But I don't think it did me much harm, and people will see that soon."

Though Simpson's first performance in the show — her hit "Pieces of Me" — went off without a hitch, the second, "Autobiography," was derailed when a pre-recorded track of her voice (singing "Pieces of Me") began playing while Simpson was holding her mic to the side and had her mouth closed. When the track came on, Simpson tried to dance a little jig instead, but after about 30 seconds, she exited the stage as her band continued performing. The show cut to a commercial.

At the end of the show, host Jude Law tried to help Simpson brush the moment aside by shrugging, "What can I say, folks? Live TV." For her part, Simpson initially placed the blame on her band. "I feel so bad," she told the audience. "My band started playing the wrong song. And I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoe-down. I'm sorry. It's live TV. Things happen. I'm sorry."

An "SNL" spokesperson said that Simpson had planned to use a backing track, a common concert aid that allows singers to either lip-synch or sing along with a guide-vocal track, to augment her voice. A statement from Simpson's record label blamed a "computer glitch" that triggered "a cut from her album" to play instead of a drum cue.

In fact, Simpson had rehearsed the song live on Thursday (see "Ashlee Simpson Preparing To Take On Tara Reid").

Simpson has since been widely attacked for the snafu, with an interview she gave to Lucky magazine coming back to haunt her. When asked what her take on lip-synching was, she had told the magazine, "I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going to let my real talent show, not just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."

Simpson's official Web site has been flooded with more than 10,000 posts, many of them negative. In response to the criticism, Simpson defended herself by blaming her hectic work schedule for wearing down her voice. In a post titled, "I'm trying!" she wrote, "Seriously, I don't sleep much for a start, and with flying from A to B and flying all over the f---ing place, it's just getting to me. And it showed. Joke is on me, you seem to enjoy it." In response to her Lucky magazine quote, she posted, "I know what I said, but when I get as worn out and beaten down as I do, sometimes I do not have the energy or the voice left. I have almost lost it due to nonstop moving about. So it is the only option."

Simpson also noted that she was going to get in contact with her site's Webmaster to delete the thread. She wrote under the heading "Get your jabs in now," "It doesn't matter anyway. There's too many important people behind my career to stop it now."

Simpson has performed live on television on previous occasions, including MTV News' pre-show to the Video Music Awards, "By the Shore," and the Teen Choice Awards. She's expected to perform live on Monday, for the Radio Music Awards in Las Vegas, which are to be broadcast on NBC at 9 p.m.

This report is provided by MTV News

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:26 pm 
Go Platinum

TheTwilightKid Wrote:
She wrote under the heading "Get your jabs in now," "It doesn't matter anyway. There's too many important people behind my career to stop it now."

bahahahahaah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:27 pm 
frostingspoon

robotboy Wrote:
TheTwilightKid Wrote:
She wrote under the heading "Get your jabs in now," "It doesn't matter anyway. There's too many important people behind my career to stop it now."

bahahahahaah

Looking at your avatar, it looks like the kid is going bahahahahaha... good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:33 pm 
frostingspoon

I like her loose usages of the words "sing" and "work"

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:36 pm 
Go Platinum

it would be awesome if SNL did a skit about this next episode.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:56 pm 
frostingspoon

Acid reflux is bullshit. This is fucking terrible. Sounds like some drunk broad at karaoke. Wait, now it's Gwen Stefani mode. God, she's just yelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:08 pm 
frostingspoon

Okay, these radio awards are shit, as expected, but that was good. Sly Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard are presenting when Stallone points in the crowd and says, "Hey, it's Thunderlips". The camera cuts to the audience, where Hulk Hogan stands up. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop