Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Attention Chamber Strings fans
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am 
Big in Australia

Quote:
Kevin Junior - Ruins
Anyone seriously into the best American indie bands of the last ten years will surely get excited if you name The Chamber Strings. It is the band formed in 1997 by Kevin Junior. “Ruins” traces an alternative story through its 19 rare or unissued tracks recorded by Kevin under different guises in the last 20 years: The Mystery Girls (1986-1992), The Rosehips (1992-1996) y The Chamber Strings (1997- present time) and on his own. Kevin has opened up his vaults to reevalute his long career, and the result is a collection that will serve both the long standing fans, who will find plenty to rejoice in, and the newcomers who will discover the amazing talent of one Kevin Junior. The amazing story of Kevin Junior & The Chamber Strings. Kevin’s influences include Ray Davies, Brian Wilson, Brill Building pop, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Alex Chilton, 60's soul, Pretenders, Dan Penn, Only Ones, The Raspberries and Jimmy Webb.

Kevin has opened up his vaults to reevalute his long career, and the result is “Ruins”, a compilation that will serve both the long standing fans, who will find plenty to rejoice in, and the newcomers who will discover the amazing talent of one Kevin Junior.

Track Listing
1. Common At Noon (The Rosehips)
2. It's Not Worth Fighting (The Chamber Strings live)
3. Whiskey In A Jar (The Rosehips)
4. Gorgeous Nowhere (The Rosehips)
5. Baby It's You (The Chamber Strings)
6. Dead Endings (The Chamber Strings)
7. Thank My Lucky Stars (Kevin Junior solo demo)
8. Beautiful You (The Chamber Strings live)
9. I Pray for Rain (The Chamber Strings)
10. Kevin Junior (Hushdrops, Kevin on lead vocals)
11. Dead Man’s Poise (Kevin Junior, solo demo)
12. Ragdoll (The Rosehips)
13. Contact High (The Mystery Girls)
14. Last Lovers (The Chamber Strings)
15. It's Not Enough (Kevin Junior)
16. Telegram (Where's My Horn?) (The Chamber Strings)
17. No More Songs (The Chamber Strings)
18. Beautiful Mothers & Somebody’s Wife (The Chamber Strings)
19. Sleepy Night (Kevin Junior solo demo)

Now, I just have to find a place to buy it for a reasonable price.
And, here's hoping that they can get their shit together soon and put out an album of NEW material!

Last edited by PopTodd on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Attention Chamber Strings fans
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

:twisted:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am 
Big in Australia

Also, for you Chicago (and nearby) people, there's THIS:
Quote:
Just announced: The Chamber Strings live at The Hideout in Chicago May 19th w/Dorian Taj supporting. First full-band (Classic 'Month Of Sundays' line-up) show together in over 2 years! Get your tickets-Hideout is small and will sell-out!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm 
Go Platinum

I like both of those Chamber Strings albums but am not usually a big fan of these kind of odds & sods albums even for bands I really like.

FWIW though if you're thinking about ordering it, it appears to be available from amazon.co.uk for about $17 which includes the VAT tax which you won't have to pay. From my experience, the VAT refund is about the same as the international shipping cost so I'd assume ordering from them would be in the $17-20 range which still beats the US Amazon by $10 (at least once you factor in shipping). It appears to be an import so I'd think that would be your best bet unless you can pick it up at that show you posted.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
Indie Debut

From the mighty LouieB-

I ran into Kevin Junior last night at the Candy Golde show and bought a copy of the album mentioned here. It is NOT available in the US unless you contact Kevin directly. He said he is willing to have people get in touch with him so if you want a copy (and I got one...) you can email him at chamberstring@hotmail.com. That is chamberstring without an "s" and get in touch with the guy and get one. I guess the liner notes are pretty cool too.
Haven't listened to it yet, but I am sure it is worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:29 pm 
Big in Australia

mcaputo Wrote:
From the mighty LouieB-

I ran into Kevin Junior last night at the Candy Golde show and bought a copy of the album mentioned here. It is NOT available in the US unless you contact Kevin directly. He said he is willing to have people get in touch with him so if you want a copy (and I got one...) you can email him at chamberstring@hotmail.com. That is chamberstring without an "s" and get in touch with the guy and get one. I guess the liner notes are pretty cool too.

How do you know Louie?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm 
Indie Debut

PopTodd Wrote:
mcaputo Wrote:
From the mighty LouieB-

How do you know Louie?

Prolly like you, via Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 am 
Big in Australia

mcaputo Wrote:
PopTodd Wrote:
mcaputo Wrote:
From the mighty LouieB-

How do you know Louie?

Prolly like you, via Chicago.

I actually know ViaChicago through Louie (who I met in line at a Steve Earle show).
But... oh yeah. (What's your username there? It's not mcaputo or any variation thereof, is it? If so, this memory thing is worse than I thought.)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 am 
Indie Debut

Username - people are leaving
I don't post all that much. I'm a fan of Louie's ponderings on Modern jazz.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:53 am 
Bedroom Demos

Dammit!!!

I'm seeing Elvis Costello at the Chicago Theater the Sunday beforehand, and with gas at $4.55/gal. around Chitown that's just too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:14 pm 
Big in Australia

A conversation from Kevin Junior's Facebook page, yesterday

I had an exchange with him and he is looking for a label to put it out.
Not recorded yet, I must warn you.
So, if you know of a label that is willing to back CS with
• recording costs at an analogue studio
• pressing quality vinyl copies of the album
• giving them the time and space to make a quality record

Please let me know, so I can point him in their direction.
But it's goddamn great news that he has the tunes written (more than enough, apparently) and planned for recording.

So the call is out, if anybody knows a label!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:43 pm 
frostingspoon

if he just wants to make a record, he can kickstart that shit, fast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:42 pm 
Big in Australia

Prince of Darkness Wrote:
if he just wants to make a record, he can kickstart that shit, fast.

I made that suggestion to him, using you as the example.
Hoping he takes it to heart.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:50 am 
frostingspoon

If he wants an idea of how it worked for me, feel free to pass him my info.

I mean, he doesn't want a label to promote, market, or tour support, so why have a label at all?

I on the other hand, could use that shit. In exchange, they don't have to front for my album.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:10 pm 
Big in Australia

Prince of Darkness Wrote:
If he wants an idea of how it worked for me, feel free to pass him my info.

I mean, he doesn't want a label to promote, market, or tour support, so why have a label at all?

I on the other hand, could use that shit. In exchange, they don't have to front for my album.

Already gave him your Kickstart link. There is contact info on there, no?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:39 pm 
frostingspoon

probably?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am 
Big in Australia

So, Kevin Junior has been quietly releasing (streaming only) the occasional new song to his Soundcloud page. So far, there are 4 new tunes. I compiled them on a playlist here:
https://soundcloud.com/poptodd/sets/the-chamber-strings

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:52 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

good times...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 am 
Big in Australia

And, check it:
KJ has just posted the entirety (minus one song) of The Rosehips' Soul Veronique In Parchment for streaming on Soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/hehambertrings/s ... m=facebook
I, myself, have never heard the entire album; only bits and pieces, here and there. So this is quite the treat for me.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:37 pm 
Big in Australia

Kevin Junior just passed away this morning per numerous friends on his Facebook page.
Yet one more reason 2016 can go fuck itself.
Damnit.
Rest in peace, Kevin.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:51 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

PopTodd Wrote:
Kevin Junior just passed away this morning per numerous friends on his Facebook page.
Yet one more reason 2016 can go fuck itself.
Damnit.
Rest in peace, Kevin.

Very sad.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

http://superiorshit.blogspot.com/2016/01/in-memory-of-kevin-junior.html
Quote:
In Memory Of Kevin Junior!

posted by Superior St. Rehearsal Facility on 12:18 AM

As the Chicago rock community reels from the passing of veteran rocker and all-around familiar face, Kevin Junior (most notably of The Rosehips and Chamber Strings), those of us who knew him are revisiting those precious memories we have of one of the sweetest souls you could ever hope to meet.

Copping the "elegant junkie" aesthetic of Johnny Thunders, Kevin Junior embodied all the elements of a rock star. He had the looks, the moves, and, most importantly of all, the ability to write melodies that burned themselves into your psyche.

After one of his early bands The Rosehips saw their Soul Veronique album hit #1 in Finland, Junior ventured to the UK where he joined forces with Epic Soundtracks, playing on the former Swell Maps pianist/drummer's last studio album (Change My Life) before his death in 1997.

Junior returned to Chicago with the intent of forming his own band, which resulted in the formation of The Chamber Strings. Their two albums, (1997's Gospel Morning and 2001's Month of Sundays) are potent punches of Stones and Faces swagger, but with a lyrical and aesthetic sensitivity that set them apart from obvious counterparts the Black Crowes.

Junior's increasing heroin addiction led to bouts of unpredictability that eventually ended the band,

As curator for a music festival back in 2008, I had the opportunity to hand-pick a few artists and Kevin Junior was one of the first acts I called. As the day of the show arrived, I was busy with show preparation when Kevin called me a few hours before showtime frantically trying to find a ride to the gig, a friend of mine (who just happened to be a big Kevin Junior fan) was more than happy to go fetch the singer.

Kevin showed up mere minutes before he was due to hit the stage with nothing but a guitar and a harmonica and, for 45 minutes, effortlessly grabbed the attention of everyone in attendance as his delicate yet powerful songs reminded us all just how talented a man he was.

At the end of the night, when it came time to settle up with the bands, I was struck by how thankful and appreciative he was of the seemingly small amount that we were able to pay him. Sure, it was more than we had agreed upon but nowhere near as much as he was worth.

Kevin recently moved back to Ohio in order to seek treatment for a heart condition, but had traveled to Spain in 2015 for new recording sessions. His first offering was last month's holiday-themed "You're Coming Home This Christmas", which he posted his Soundcloud.

As I stare at the computer screen knowing that this article doesn't come within a mile of doing him justice - I mean, the guy's life was a tragedy and a miracle at the same time - I also know that those of us who knew him also knew that such a day as this was coming very soon.

Because of that, a lot of us took a certain solace in seeing him out at other band's shows. "Ah, he's still alive," we'd say to one another. "Slurring incoherently, but still alive." There were times I gazed into those far away eyes and watched the lights going off, like the lamps being turned off when a family calls it a night.

I'd see him the next day at a record store or rehearsal space and the lights would be back on.

Upon receiving yesterday tragic news, the idea that a light that beautiful has gone out for good would be unbearably sad if not for the fact that wherever he is now, that light, untouched by darkness or circumstance, can shine it's fucking ass off once and for all.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:27 pm 
Big in Australia

The new song alluded to in the article:
https://soundcloud.com/hehambertrings/y ... -this-xmas

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop