Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting Less FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

discostu Wrote:
Nice work Bobbo. I think I'm about to be hit with some news that will set me along a similar path.

hope it's nothing too major, stu

i pretty much did this before the inevitability of receiving similar news

my blood pressure's been up (high end of borderline, creeping into pre-hypertensive levels)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am 
frostingspoon

Rick Derris Wrote:
This also presumes that you 1) have a bike 2) live in a relatively flat place and is bikeable and 3) isn't 90+ degrees 3 months out of the year.
A used bike in great shape is about $250, so while not "free," it's pretty cheap and will last a long time. The hilly part doesn't matter as much as the hot part - no argument there, it's a bitch biking to work when it's 90 out, unless there's a shower there. Completely right. Hell it got to 70 here a few weeks back and I had to strip down to the white T for the 13 minute bike ride. Then I just started riding reeeeally slowly, which helped a lot.

Rick Derris Wrote:
I'm a pro-gym guy. I've had a membership with LA Fitness for around 7 years now and probably haven't gone more than 3 weeks without going in that time (usually because it falls in that 3-4 weeks window when it's really nice out in the Spring and Fall and I'll run outside). For me, it's the having a place to go. If I go home after work, the minute I walk in the door my motivation drops by 50%. I like going after work and shedding the stress of the day. I also enjoy the variety. I get bored if I run all the time. I like to mix it up. I can swim laps (helpful for when I hurt my ankle), row, ride the stationary bike, take a spin class, or play hoops. All of which I've done. I find it motivational as well to be around people working hard. It's inspiring. Ultimately I go because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and give me more energy.

This is what I aspired to, and never got to. Maybe Bob will walk into a gym and really dig it.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

rogneeb Wrote:
FT Wrote:
rogneeb Wrote:
1500 seems awfully low for a calorie limit, especially to start off with. dont make things so challenging that you give up is my advice. i was able to lose about 35 lbs aiming for 2000 calories a day and three 60-90 minute workouts per week. took like 10 months, but was easier to keep going.

Yeah, I've been told it's pretty low for someone my size, but I've managed to stick with it without much of an ongoing willpower struggle. That's probably the biggest surprise to me is how much I haven't been craving all the crap I used to eat.

thats pretty good willpower...way better than me haha. the strange thing ive found is that i'm somehow less hungry when i am regulary working out.

honestly, i think a lot of it is eating these protein bars for meal replacements at breakfast and dinner

they don't taste great, but they are somehow quite filling (the opposite of miller lite?)

also, the longer i go eating less, the quicker i feel full when eating actual food - portion control was always my biggest flaw

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:56 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

wenchlette Wrote:
I will send you a decent low calorie, low sugar cookie recipe. You can bake. Like a man. Dov's had them, he knows what's what. I'm back on the same track, too.

thanks, hon!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Stop Breathin' Wrote:
I'm blessed to have never had a weight problem. I do, however, have a huge "sitting on my ass" problem. Hang with it, Bobbo. I'm sure there are female motivations, now.

yeah, dude - you are wiry

i envy your cajun metabolism

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Senator LooGAR Wrote:
I walked up the four flights of stairs to my office this afternoon - after a sensible lunch of a chicken sandwich with no mayo, bacon, or cheese.

with you and me both losing weight by eating sensibly and seeking exercise opportunities, we don't need a mayan calendar to tell us the end of the world is nigh upon us

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Jerkass Wrote:
In the past year, I've started grinding all my red meat as well as making my own pork and veal sausages, cheese and bread.
I've never felt better.

i've been grinding my own meat for years

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

robotboy Wrote:
im sitting here trying to figure out what constitutes 4k-5k calories a day and just drawing a blank.

pretty much eating anytime food is made available, in addition to regular meals, most of which were either fast food or other fried restaurant fare

anytime there was stuff out here at the office (donuts, muffins, etc.), i'd load up, plus 1-2 vending machine trips per day between meals

it adds up pretty quickly

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 pm 
frostingspoon

FT Wrote:
discostu Wrote:
Nice work Bobbo. I think I'm about to be hit with some news that will set me along a similar path.

hope it's nothing too major, stu

i pretty much did this before the inevitability of receiving similar news

my blood pressure's been up (high end of borderline, creeping into pre-hypertensive levels)

Thankfully it wasn't... just a strained muscle underneath my rib, but it was a close enough scare (I immediately jumped to the conclusion of GAAAAALLstone). My FAAAAAT is a combo of sitting all day at work, stress eating, stress, period, and eating too much animal FAAAAT.

So hopefully if I get my shit together I'll have some good news to share like you have. Way to be inspiring Bob! Keep at it, and give us some updates. We're rooting for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

seafoam Wrote:
I lost 30 lbs when I moved back to FL about 12 years ago. I think the first 10 just melted off in summer, but the rest was mostly due to eating 1/4 as much, cutting out junk food and very little beer(which exacerbated the allergies anyhow). Now I have a general fluctuation of 5 lbs to get to that desired number. And, the exercise is good just because it makes you feel better.

One you get in the routine you will be upset when you fall off. Good on you for doing it!

thanks, tommy!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm 
Natural Harvester

FT Wrote:
Dalen Wrote:
great job Bob! keep it up man. full support!

oddly, i've actually started running for the first time in my life. feels great.

thanks, dale

nice job with the running - any plans for a marathon down the road?

actually doing this Zombie infested 5K...

http://runforyourlives.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

two guns holla Wrote:
Congrats on the continued weight loss, Bobbo!

much appreciated, tommy!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Dalen Wrote:
FT Wrote:
Dalen Wrote:
great job Bob! keep it up man. full support!

oddly, i've actually started running for the first time in my life. feels great.

thanks, dale

nice job with the running - any plans for a marathon down the road?

actually doing this Zombie infested 5K...

http://runforyourlives.com/

ok, now that is like 50 kinds of awesome

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:19 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

FT Wrote:
Senator LooGAR Wrote:
I walked up the four flights of stairs to my office this afternoon - after a sensible lunch of a chicken sandwich with no mayo, bacon, or cheese.

with you and me both losing weight by eating sensibly and seeking exercise opportunities, we don't need a mayan calendar to tell us the end of the world is nigh upon us

Tho mine started in 2008, the year Barry was elected - which also lets us know he's TEH ANTICHRISP!

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 pm 
Go Platinum

FT Wrote:
rogneeb Wrote:
FT Wrote:
rogneeb Wrote:
1500 seems awfully low for a calorie limit, especially to start off with. dont make things so challenging that you give up is my advice. i was able to lose about 35 lbs aiming for 2000 calories a day and three 60-90 minute workouts per week. took like 10 months, but was easier to keep going.

Yeah, I've been told it's pretty low for someone my size, but I've managed to stick with it without much of an ongoing willpower struggle. That's probably the biggest surprise to me is how much I haven't been craving all the crap I used to eat.

thats pretty good willpower...way better than me haha. the strange thing ive found is that i'm somehow less hungry when i am regulary working out.

honestly, i think a lot of it is eating these protein bars for meal replacements at breakfast and dinner

Congrats Bobbo but the problem with meal replacement bars is that they are a short term diet fix. You need to figure out a plan for more healthy living in general. It's easier said than done but you want to find something that you can live with long term to keep the pounds from coming back on. Even if you thought you could do your current diet long term, it probably wouldn't be too healthy relying so heavily on protein bars. It's hard if you're not used to cooking for yourself and aren't a big salad eater but you don't want to see saw back and forth between thin and fat.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
The Listerine Queen

Get a good food scale if you don't already have one.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:00 pm 
Go Platinum

There's always the cocaine and whiskey diet. That's done wonders for me in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:12 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

billy g Wrote:
Congrats Bobbo but the problem with meal replacement bars is that they are a short term diet fix. You need to figure out a plan for more healthy living in general. It's easier said than done but you want to find something that you can live with long term to keep the pounds from coming back on. Even if you thought you could do your current diet long term, it probably wouldn't be too healthy relying so heavily on protein bars. It's hard if you're not used to cooking for yourself and aren't a big salad eater but you don't want to see saw back and forth between thin and fat.

good point - i'm using the bars to kind of get me jump started for the time being, and hope to eventually transition to something more sustainable over the long term

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 pm 
Go Platinum

The only thing that's kept me in fair shape (and kept some poundage off) is when I got a dog, and now have to walk her 1 or 2 times a day. Walking has even led to intermittent jogging every so often, but my old body doesn't like that much. :roll:

Good luck, man. I know it's a pita (oops, bad word to use :mrgreen: ) but it's worth it if you want to live long & prosper.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:06 pm 
KILLFILED

nobody Wrote:
There's always the cocaine and whiskey diet. That's done wonders for me in the past.

Does FT look like Steven Adler?

(Also: such a diet would positively kill me DEAD. So, I'll stick to daily gym-going & once a week dollar menu cheats. Less beer, too. Down to 217 & actually, kind of, maybe having some definition in my abdominals.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 pm 
frostingspoon

nobody Wrote:

I used to be on that diet (add in cigarettes) and was about 60 lbs lighter than I am today.

Last edited by discostu on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
Hipster Backlash

Good luck and good goin' so far Bob!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am 
British Press Hype

Congrats on the start of a new healthy lifestyle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

KPH Wrote:
Good luck and good goin' so far Bob!

muchas gracias, kev!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Donovan Wrote:
Congrats on the start of a new healthy lifestyle.

thanks! wow, i'm really dragging the old timers out of the woodwork!

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next