Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Getting Less FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:02 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

I started a pretty intensive diet two weeks ago, reducing my daily calorie limit to 1,500. Only one day during that time did I exceed that limit, and that was only by 69 calories. My average per day over the past two weeks (including that one 1,569 day) has been 1,206. I'm not exactly sure how many calories I was averaging per day before starting this diet, but it was probably between 4,000-5,000 (if not more).

I weighed myself this morning, and my total weight loss so far is 17.6 lbs. in two weeks. Needless to say, I have a long, LONG way to go, because I weighed so much to begin with that this was pretty low-hanging fruit and really isn't very much percentage-wise. But, I do seem to have (at least to this point) succeeded in reversing a lifetime of bad eating habits and finally have the scale headed in the right direction.

I just thought I'd share with the class...carry on.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Getting Less FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 am 
Big in Australia

Good luck, Bob!
So far, so good. Keep it up!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 am 
frostingspoon

Are you doing any exercise to go with that diet?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

timmyjoe42 Wrote:
Are you doing any exercise to go with that diet?

Yes, but not as much as I need to be. Ideally, I'd be getting in at least 3-4 days per week, but it's only been 1-2 so far. That's something I need to improve.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am 
Go Platinum

I can't wait til the weather gets warmer and I can go walking/jogging again.

Keep it up Bob. Another 5.5 months and all those unhealthy eating habits go out the window, and the healthy lifestyle becomes the new norm. My wife has a gluten-free diet (among other restrictions) for health reasons. The first 6 months were hard but now (almost 3 years into it) it's normal. Last night I had an asparagus, onion, tomato, and goat cheese pizza on a gluten-free crust. I probably would not even have sniffed something like that 4 years ago, but now it's par for the course (and very delicious).

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:44 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

bort Wrote:
I can't wait til the weather gets warmer and I can go walking/jogging again.

Keep it up Bob. Another 5.5 months and all those unhealthy eating habits go out the window, and the healthy lifestyle becomes the new norm. My wife has a gluten-free diet (among other restrictions) for health reasons. The first 6 months were hard but now (almost 3 years into it) it's normal. Last night I had an asparagus, onion, tomato, and goat cheese pizza on a gluten-free crust. I probably would not even have sniffed something like that 4 years ago, but now it's par for the course (and very delicious).

thanks, mark - good to know

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

PopTodd Wrote:
Good luck, Bob!
So far, so good. Keep it up!

Gracias, Todd.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 am 
TEH MACHINE

Good job, sir! Complete lifestyle change is the only successful route towards sustainable weight loss. Also, exercise is the healthiest thing you can undertake but ultimately it has very little impact on weight loss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 am 
frostingspoon

Thanks for the inspiration Bob-O.
I need to make some serious changes in my diet as well...
Being a typ 2 diabetic, I am currently on a dangerously bad path....
maybe it's time to make the baby steps!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 am 
frostingspoon

DumpJack Wrote:
Good job, sir! Complete lifestyle change is the only successful route towards sustainable weight loss. Also, exercise is the healthiest thing you can undertake but ultimately it has very little impact on weight loss.

this.

When it starts to feel completely normal, you're set. Until then, it's work and your brain will try everything to weasel out. Also most people figure out that a gym isn't required at all, and isn't really even helpful, because it's expensive and it's so goddam easy to avoid.

Is there some part of your mon-fri routine you can tweak to make it better, like walking some portion of the route to work? Stairs instead of elevator? If it's some place you HAVE to go and you make some rule for yourself ("I will not take the elevator") or some shit, then you actually wind up doing it. I swore off the elevators in my new building. It's only 3 floors high, though they are 15 foot ceilings. It's a little wierd when I'm talking to someone and we're going upstairs, and we go by the elevator, and they hit the button and I'm all "see ya in a second." If they ask I just say "oh I'm trying to take the stairs because we're going hiking this summer and I need the exercise." True enough, and hopefully I don't sound like a preachy douche.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

Good job & good luck!

I started seriously losing weight last January, and lost about 60 pounds in about nine months. I haven't lost any additional weight for several months now, but I'm still maintaining my new weight. I'm still exercising 5-6 times per week, sometimes all 7 days. It's been difficult, but totally worth it!

I just know you will be successful too, Bob!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 am 
Go Platinum

For me, recently joining a gym has been very helpful really. Thing is, sure I can get plenty or exercise riding a bike around or hiking or whatever, but a lot of the out-of-the-gym options take a good chunk of time. With a gym five minutes from my house, I can get in there and work out pretty intensely and be home in an extra hour after work. It's just a time saver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

huskerpunk Wrote:
Good job & good luck!

I started seriously losing weight last January, and lost about 60 pounds in about nine months. I haven't lost any additional weight for several months now, but I'm still maintaining my new weight. I'm still exercising 5-6 times per week, sometimes all 7 days. It's been difficult, but totally worth it!

I just know you will be successful too, Bob!!!

scott, you have done what i can only hope to achieve

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

DumpJack Wrote:

Thanks, Chuck - I do think diet is more directly impactful, but adding exercise seems to maximize the impact of the diet.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Twilightkid Wrote:
Thanks for the inspiration Bob-O.
I need to make some serious changes in my diet as well...
Being a typ 2 diabetic, I am currently on a dangerously bad path....
maybe it's time to make the baby steps!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:
DumpJack Wrote:

this.

When it starts to feel completely normal, you're set. Until then, it's work and your brain will try everything to weasel out. Also most people figure out that a gym isn't required at all, and isn't really even helpful, because it's expensive and it's so goddam easy to avoid.

Is there some part of your mon-fri routine you can tweak to make it better, like walking some portion of the route to work? Stairs instead of elevator? If it's some place you HAVE to go and you make some rule for yourself ("I will not take the elevator") or some shit, then you actually wind up doing it. I swore off the elevators in my new building. It's only 3 floors high, though they are 15 foot ceilings. It's a little wierd when I'm talking to someone and we're going upstairs, and we go by the elevator, and they hit the button and I'm all "see ya in a second." If they ask I just say "oh I'm trying to take the stairs because we're going hiking this summer and I need the exercise." True enough, and hopefully I don't sound like a preachy douche.

great advice - thanks, kyle

i take the stairs at work, but it's only a two-story building (three if you count the basement

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

nobody Wrote:
For me, recently joining a gym has been very helpful really. Thing is, sure I can get plenty or exercise riding a bike around or hiking or whatever, but a lot of the out-of-the-gym options take a good chunk of time. With a gym five minutes from my house, I can get in there and work out pretty intensely and be home in an extra hour after work. It's just a time saver.

gym is good for concentrated focus, and especially in case of bad weather

my apartment complex has a workout facility, albeit a rather ramshackle one

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Two things - both of which you're figuring out:
1) The only way to really lose weight is to PUT THE FUCKING FORK DOWN. I was forced to by Saint Circumstance when I had my gall bladder out a few years back. I had substantial and swift weight loss because I cut out everything with fat. No mayo, no cheese, no red meat. I've let some of that creep back in moderation, and have adjusted accordingly. I'm never going to be svelte, but my clothes fit much better and I FEEL better. Add in a weekly or bi-weekly tennis game, and I'm not the massive lump I once was. I'll also echo everyone's sentiments that once you start doing this, it becomes normal.

2) Sitting is the worst thing for you. EVER. There appears to be some evidence that all the "CORM SYRGUP ANG CARBSG" bellyaching (while a factor) ain't got shit on sitting down for hours on end. Sedentary. Body at rest tends to stay at rest, and the like. I have toyed with getting a desk built that has a combination desk and "podium" so I can stand up while working ala Don Rumsfeld.

Good on you, though Bobbo. If not for you, then SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
frostingspoon

1500 seems awfully low for a calorie limit, especially to start off with. dont make things so challenging that you give up is my advice. i was able to lose about 35 lbs aiming for 2000 calories a day and three 60-90 minute workouts per week. took like 10 months, but was easier to keep going.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:05 pm 
Go Platinum

Those calorie amounts always look like more than enough to me... until I figure in beer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

rogneeb Wrote:
1500 seems awfully low for a calorie limit, especially to start off with. dont make things so challenging that you give up is my advice. i was able to lose about 35 lbs aiming for 2000 calories a day and three 60-90 minute workouts per week. took like 10 months, but was easier to keep going.

Yeah, I've been told it's pretty low for someone my size, but I've managed to stick with it without much of an ongoing willpower struggle. That's probably the biggest surprise to me is how much I haven't been craving all the crap I used to eat.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Senator LooGAR Wrote:
Two things - both of which you're figuring out:
1) The only way to really lose weight is to PUT THE FUCKING FORK DOWN. I was forced to by Saint Circumstance when I had my gall bladder out a few years back. I had substantial and swift weight loss because I cut out everything with fat. No mayo, no cheese, no red meat. I've let some of that creep back in moderation, and have adjusted accordingly. I'm never going to be svelte, but my clothes fit much better and I FEEL better. Add in a weekly or bi-weekly tennis game, and I'm not the massive lump I once was. I'll also echo everyone's sentiments that once you start doing this, it becomes normal.

2) Sitting is the worst thing for you. EVER. There appears to be some evidence that all the "CORM SYRGUP ANG CARBSG" bellyaching (while a factor) ain't got shit on sitting down for hours on end. Sedentary. Body at rest tends to stay at rest, and the like. I have toyed with getting a desk built that has a combination desk and "podium" so I can stand up while working ala Don Rumsfeld.

Good on you, though Bobbo. If not for you, then SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

glad to hear you have also dropped the lbs., loogs

my job does involve way too much sitting - i try to get up and walk around a few times a day

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
Natural Harvester

great job Bob! keep it up man. full support!

oddly, i've actually started running for the first time in my life. feels great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:50 pm 
frostingspoon

Nice work Bobbo. I think I'm about to be hit with some news that will set me along a similar path.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm 
frostingspoon

FT Wrote:
rogneeb Wrote:

Yeah, I've been told it's pretty low for someone my size, but I've managed to stick with it without much of an ongoing willpower struggle. That's probably the biggest surprise to me is how much I haven't been craving all the crap I used to eat.

thats pretty good willpower...way better than me haha. the strange thing ive found is that i'm somehow less hungry when i am regulary working out.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next