Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recent Vinyl Finds
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:59 pm 
Bedroom Demos

tramping across the fields ear-lie in the mornin' has turned up some odd things including these albums

A strange one this (I liked the cover) and a really pleasant listen mix of choir and string quintet.

This was in the same box, not had a chance to listen to it yet but it had me by the warning on the front.

This nice pair of BBC albums I didn't already have were cheap in a charity shop

I wasn't aware that there was a TV show called The Comet Is Coming I had assumed the new band of the same name had come up with it.

A tatty sleeve but the record was fine and a great selection of themes including Record Breakers!

Now I know where Pink Floyd got their inspiration for the heartbeats at the start of Dark Side Of The Moon (probably)

some curious singles

The first two releases on the Reflection imprint

Two signed sevens

Three releases by 70's 'comedy' legends

I've three inch 7"s, square 7"s and all manner of picture disc 7"s but now I have the worlds first holographic 7" - and it was bloody difficult to photograph!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:59 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Not many singles have found their way into my grubby paws in the past few weeks but some nice albums have, such as...

This album #3 in an edition of 8 copies came my way when I met the Basingstoke based artist at a record fair and he had a bag of his handmade releases,
the lathe cut vinyl came with an SD card with 100 extra tracks, a great way to spread the good grooves, and they are really good!
more info : https://www.discogs.com/Raz-Friends-Instrumental-Health/release/13670960

A bloke at the car boot sale had a box of these beautiful, one sided gold discs, I am kicking myself for not buying the lot as they were only 3 for a quid,
I still don't know exactly what I am going to do with it as there is no music on them.

Strong double album compilation of songs played on an Oklahoma based radio station in the late 60's early 70's.

a nice pair of picture discs were in the same box, along with some other heavy metal ones but these were a bit erm, sexier

this Japanese one is excellent!

I got this one for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly track and that cheesy grin (inner sleeve was signed To Hilda)

A budget re-issue of an earlier album by a band who released an album on the spiral Vertigo label in 1971

In the same box was this album from 1965

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I had a nice albums and 78's score at the car boot today, luckily 2 of the regulars are on holiday so I almost had the pick of the field!
One bloke had literally hundreds of cheap 78's and singles and when the other diggers wandered off to look at other cars the stall holder
told me to go and have a look at the stuff he hadn't unloaded from his transit van, he had several big boxes which had mostly Elvis in which
I couldn't be arsed with to be honest but he did have some lovely Hank Williams 78's and some sweet 60's LP's at a pound a pop, this is the pick of the bunch.

I had not found a Scott 2 with it's insert before today.

Lovely Hank UK 78's and a 10" album

I was pleased with the T.Rex as it had the sticker on the front and the poster, which I'd not seen before,
the Johnny Cash was a UK London front laminated original in beautiful nick.

a whole bunch of Stones LP's including 2 early UK mono's and a stereo Aftermath

Upon further investigation I discovered this zipper sleeve had a sad message inside the cover...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:45 pm 
Bedroom Demos

mostly 7" odds & ends in the last 7 days

The only record by the artist and the only release on the Verdley label and even the herbicide it's promoting has been discontinued.

a few global discs

BOAC promo souvenir for flying from London to Japan via the polar route

Middle East Airways promo for Lebanon from the film Farewell To Lebanon

This came with a bizarre, slightly rusty solid metal centre!

The Chile National Anthem

Some old EP's

Nice one-sided promo with a polite notice on the flip.

Another sound effects single but sadly not electronic music.

An American pressing but sadly not the rare UK issue, nice sleeve though.

A 12" I got today for 30p which has a great picture on one side, the music is by Joe Fagin from 1987.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:46 am 
Bedroom Demos

Lovely sunny weekend of car booting (next to a ballooning festival) has turned up some nice vinyl gems.

Some balloons were quite discreet, passing by at a safe distance.

One box turned up some original 60's albums in tip-top condition.

This old library album didn't have a sleeve but looked interesting enough.

Proof (as if it was needed) that I sometimes buy any old nonsense and I don't even like cricket (I love it, yeah)*

*actually I don't love it at all to be honest

Some balloons chose to come far too close, but some folks will do anything to get records these days!

This Christian folk album would be a different record altogether with a question mark after their name.

a few odd singles

A Coin Operator Release EP (for US jukeboxes maybe?)

I picked this up as I'd never come across this label before, which features 2 schools on the flip.

I'd never heard of this before and was quite excited when I came across it, but it turns out to be an old Bach tune played on a synth.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:08 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Mostly albums have turned up in boxes in fields this week, such as...

Quite nice Xian folk

A lovely old Sandie Shaw album in mono from '68 which is mostly cover versions but well chosen and the g/f cover is very cool.

A mysterious double sided EMI acetate was always going to tempt me to part with 50p, alas it turns out to be a recording of a school choir
with no guitars or keyboards to be heard anywhere, damn.

One guy at the car boot had a very interesting box but demanded £5 a pop for his records,
he had many I'd not seen or heard before including these which have turned out to be £20 well spent.

This was a 12" and upon investigation turned out to be a 2nd pressing, the only way of telling was the number crossed out on the inner poster number!

Always have to pick up a bit of cheese on my travels, signed on the back and endorsed by the great Dick Emery.

These 2 cute 5" clear discs with experimental Welsh electronica on were sent to me via the R-Bennig label boss Johnny R.

Got this sealed copy of Alexis Taylor's album from a bloke at the car boot who had 2 boxes of new albums and 12"s (DJ Shadow, Hot Chip etc) for £1 a pop!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm 
Bedroom Demos

all sorts of finds in fields over the weekend

Unusual to find a flexi plugging a book and in a fancy gate-fold sleeve with no expense spared, I hope it helped.

Guided tour of a Yugoslavian cave with bonus slides inside!

No relation to the band Slade, this Flame burned in the early 80's on the Malta pop scene.

A Rock 'n' Rollin' BBC demo, I thought he sounded a bit like Lonnie Donegan but that piano is pretty damn hot!

More BBC records in a pair of great old sleeves, actually just as I found them.

I have all kinds of meditation albums but never knew of this one before, on pink Charisma and produced by the guy behind so many great records.

Irish 60's Folk & spoken word

A great Island Records compilation, including a rare Tom Petty track.

I couldn't find out much about this oddity which is a mix of originals and Neil Young covers, it has a Deroy Records matrix of DER 1272

I was happy to pay 50p for this LP as the first track on side 2 caught my eye it's sealed but I'll bite the bullet.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:22 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I won an interesting record selection in a pair of boxes at the auction today, lots of things I had not seen before and mostly in tip-top nick,
there also seemed to be lot of ladies on the sleeves which may/may not be related to the fact that there were a LOT of old gentlemen's mags in the auction too!

it wasn't all about the ladies though, there were unexpected delights

these two were sold on a final reduction of 10p - thankfully the stickers are the type that are easily removed

A 12" acetate that sadly turned out to be another bloody church service...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
Bedroom Demos

some nice car boot finds this week including a handful of scarce 7"s in lovely condition

An unusual French EP with a lenticular sleeve, it's hard to photograph it in all it's glory but it's very pretty.

One member of the band went on to join The Animals.

Two members of the band went to to join The Troggs.

Most of the band went on to become Family.

I was most pleased to come across a whole bunch of original Durium discs which were all released in the 1930's,
I have 2 or 3 of these which are the only ones I'd ever come across in years of collecting and then I find 11 of them in one box!

This one was issued at Xmas 1932 and features a play performed by Lloyds Bank staff

Advertising info on the rear

Best of all was a bunch of one-sided brown Durium flexi's all dating from the early 30's in a local record shop bag.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:46 pm 
Bedroom Demos

had some nice 78's turn up recently, Hank Williams and Jerry Lee Lewis among them and although this disc is good in it's own right it was the beautiful (but wrong) sleeve that I really liked

this one also in the wrong sleeve was very nice - but it would have been amazing to have it plugging his tune Midnight and The Stars and You as featured in The Shining - but Good Evening is lovely too

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:06 am 
Bedroom Demos

bits and bobs from the boots

The first release on the mighty On-U Sounds label.

I've never come across one of these Virgin 7" promo's before (one of my rarer Virgin singles by Captain Beefheart has a special hand stamped sleeve)

Old actor Vernon Greeves wanders around even older English castles chatting away, as he does.

A pair of budget label issues featuring Duffy Power, Al Saxon and some really twangy guitars and 15 tracks between the two of them!

With a US issue in a gate-fold sleeve (the UK one is only in a rubbish single sleeve) and a Dutch version on yellow vinyl
and now this slightly s p a c e y sounding Quad version, no doubt I probably also have the CD and 8-track of it somewhere in the cellar...

The most unusual finds this week were a couple of mysterious albums on the EMI Central Research Laboratories label that was completely
new to me and with the words Experimental Record on them an absolute bargain at 50p a pop, even if they were gonna be rubbish.

The best way, other than playing it, was to check the matrix numbers in the run out but even these proved pointless as this one
with the number CWK 3001 on one side had never surfaced before. It turned out one side was half of the record Holiday Album
by late 70's new wavers Radio Stars, and for some 'experimental reason' the other side was bizarrely a Best of The Mamas & The Papas.

After a bit of research on this imprint I discovered only a couple of these discs seem to have been released before, one featured tracks
by Wings from Band On The Run and the other (probably very collectible) had tracks from the first Queen album on it. Well unfortunately
for me this one happened to feature the whole of this very common album by good old Manuel and His Music of The Mountains, damn.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm 
Bedroom Demos

An EP in a beautiful sleeve featuring songs from the 1930 film released somewhat belatedly in 1957

Since I discovered one of the rarest Ron Grainer related records a few years ago (this 78rpm pre-releasing any of his soundtrack work)
I seem compelled to seek out all his other records, and this was one I'd not seen or heard of before.

listen to Darkness Of My Life

This oddity (still in it's beautiful purple sleeve) features brothers Tony & Keith sharing the one disc,
there are versions on the same record with Keith taking credit for both sides but maybe that was because
Tony was being kind as he was the more famous of the two as drummer in The Shadows, there might even
be a signature on one of the labels too, though it's hard to tell which brother did it.

listen to the fantastic flip side Hooker Street

This guy only made a few singles including this demo from the mid 70's but he was still making music as recent as 2015.

Another demo from the same box as the Meehan bros 7" was by the composer of the Hell's Angels '69 movie soundtrack.

A mid 70's acetate by The YC's of Hendon North - who I assume are the Young Christians of that parish,
I tried in vain to work out quite which Sir Ian they are singing their praises to but it's either ex BBC director general
Sir Ian Trethowan or Gandalf, I'm more convinced it's the former unless anyone knows more - listen by downloading it.

This Spanish band were so chuffed that someone bought their single they all kindly signed it on both sides.

I was best pleased with this pair of thoroughly Scottish EP's featuring songs and spoken word, there are 6 in the set in seems, hoots!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm 
British Press Hype

I must start by saying this record and poster etc are not mine but belongs to a friend, we had been chatting about the bands we used to see in
a pub in Milton Keynes in the late 70's, my claim to fame was seeing The Specials AKA and The Undertones among others in the tiny venue in MK.
For some reason, maybe it was because there was another show in town although I cannot remember what, but I decided not to go and
see this band called The Cure who were on there first tour, I had just never heard of them at the time. My friend did however go to see them
and took his copy of their album Three Imaginary Boys to the gig along with some other bits and bobs he had related to them like some
press pics his mate at the local paper had given him as well as a poster he's got from a local record shop advertising their debut single.

He has had these things literally in his attic along with some other stuff for 40 years, (the mind boggles what he has kept but then again I'm just as bad!)
So today I met up with him and I had to take some pics of the record and poster as these items and in this condition are virtually unheard of these days.
He has no plans to sell them as he's still a keen collector but I thought I would share them with you as they are quite incredible.

My guess is each member has signed next to the household item they relate too.

They also signed the inside sleeve - note Robert Smith writing middle top where he's written 'my house'

1st press release & photos

A tiny stamp sized unused sticker with a pic of Lol Tolhurst

Promo poster which came from a record shop in Northampton fully signed in the middle which he told me hasn't been out of the record sleeve since May 1979! crackers.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:44 pm 
British Press Hype

I've had a busy week of driving and digging, with a trip up north to Arbroath & Dundee (where I will be moving to in the new year) as well as a local car boot sale down south.
I didn't buy anything in the shops as there was an awful lot of local music for local people. There were much better things turning up at my local car boot, I was just lucky to get
into a few boxes first as there is a lot of competition for vinyl. I started by tramping the streets of Arbroath on a grey and drizzly morning.

The local football ground/amusements.

There is a pretty harbour & lobster pot mountain.

I found one 2nd hand shop selling all manner of stuff but the vinyl looked very well thumbed, not a good sign.

The prices ranged from the ridiculous to the naah yer alright.

To grade the record "fair" would be over-grading it despite a VG sleeve.

A surprise to find this lurking among the Jim Reeves but parts of the sleeve were missing and the condition was VG/VG at best so I left it as it was priced a round £100.

The charity shops were awash with records featuring bagpipes

The tills of Arbroath never saw my paper and iron, I even skipped the chance of a smokie (smoked haddock snack)

To rub salt in the wound that a move up north may not yield good vinyl I went to the mid-week car boot upon my return home and turned up all manner of delights
including a stash of weirdy albums at £3 a pop. I've never heard or seen any of them in the wild before so was happy again after my Scottish disappointment.

I also found a stash of odd singles, this one being the pick of the bunch

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 pm 
Bedroom Demos

With the open air car boots winding up for winter, though there is a local one determined to carry on until the end of November,
I have had all sorts of records turn up near the turnips (possibly) including these flexi-discs I found out in the fields, no really.

Chris Gunning has been involved in hundreds of musical projects since the 60's from film scores (Man About The House) to working 
with artists as diverse as The Gods, The Hollies and Cilla Black, however on this disc he threw his skills into an egg advertising campaign.

This is sadly not the hostess of 60's TV show Ready Steady Go talking about ghosts and spirits but hair colour, damn.

Typically tasteless one-sided flexi from JK and it was all an act on the sleeve as he actually preferred schoolboys.

One white promo flexi for a German textile company oh yes, but there were apparently 2 discs in this original release, oh no!

This pretty gold disc came free with Isle of Man Colour Holiday Book and features excerpts from the LP The Wonderful World of Man which I still have somewhere...

The great voice of 70's kids TV show Animal Magic plugs the long defunct holiday firm.

Brian Matthew has an enviable discography for voicing flexis on Discogs but not this one, so it must be worth a lot then!

Another giant of the free flexi-disc voice over, Jack usually worked for Readers Digest but here he adds his dulcet tones to help sell Websters Universal Colour Dictionary.

A disc from the late 60's promoting the famous beer, which is still getting folk pissed and singing since 1829 bless 'em.

Released in the early 80's to promote one of their finest albums this features four excerpts including the lovely title track.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I picked up some nice and unusual 7"s in a couple of charity shops this week some familiar and several I'd never heard of before, including these demos.

Some other odds and ends

more info

more info

more info

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 am 
Bedroom Demos

Some vinyl finds from the last week or so, I went to Scotland last weekend so it's not hard to guess which ones I found up there!

This caught my eye in a charity shop in Arbroath as it had a track called Bagpipe Rock - which sadly turned out to be more Bagpipe Jazz, it's just awful.

Film producers are looking for a Scottish James Bond to replace Daniel Craig so maybe one of these guys could be considered?
then again perhaps not.

Sleeve redacted for health and safety reasons, obviously.

Lush covers of Elvis tunes, really nice to listen to on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

More easy listening but a bit more upbeat.

Jake making a stab for the Xmas #1 in 1967

I only realised who this was after playing it, why it's Judie Tzuke! before she did her solo thing,
it's the same song but a different version to the one on her great debut album a few years later.

oi gotta brand new football record and I got it for free, ooh arr

Best vinyl find of the week isn't actually a record at all as it's completely blank and unplayable, instead it has etchings around the label,
and was only available to staff & special visitors to the EMI Distribution Centre Open Day in May 1977 and the Queens Silver Jubilee.

A rare case of the cover being better than the original.

A single-sided record promoting Fabergé products with old ITV World Of Sport presenter Dickie Davies doing a bit of chat on the end,
there were only yellow vinyl copies pressed according to legend (Discogs) so this red one must be as collectibles as an A&M God Save The Queen.

King Kenny plugging the other soft drink on this 1973 flexi-disc.

Mmmm... shunting

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 am 
Bedroom Demos

Vinyl finds over new year in the Dundee area charity shops and Northamptonshire farm shops (!?)

There was no way on this gods earth I wasn't going to throw 50p at this beauty!

This was the pick of a whole bunch of Polish albums on the Sutton Sound imprint, many of which had interesting sleeves.

A nice pair of Stooges 7"s in a record shop in Dundee for £2 a pop!

Image Image
Released in the early 70's it consists of spoken word reports from people who had been in Burundi and had witnessed some of the horrors,
it doesn't make for comfortable listening.

Disco Floyd!

Along with the bales of hay and dead pheasants there were records to discover, including...

A bluesy one from 1968 which I had never come across before, love the sleeve art more than the music to be honest.

Tales of woe, sample lyrics of the title track

It was Thursday the first of November, 1956 was the year
From Springhill, Nova Scotia, the sad news we did hear
An explosion there did happen, at the entrance to the mine
To save the lives of those within, it was a race with time

Well over a hundred miners were trapped in Colliery four
And hope of their survival grew dimmer by the hour
Wives and families huddled ’round the pithead in the cold
The tears they shed, the prayers they said, can never be retold...

An acetate for an un-released album by accordion maestro Marcosignori, I actually have a couple of his other albums
so knew what I was getting into with my one pound purchase, this later album below was even released on Parlophone.

I was kindly sent a copy of this excellent new album this week by the chap who has recorded a couple of sessions for my show.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:02 pm 
Bedroom Demos

As well as the records these were a bunch of the cassette tapes I picked up at the weekend.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:52 am 
Bedroom Demos

I found a whole load of Polish and Eastern European flexi discs yesterday, lots of artists I'd never heard of
and many of the Polish card discs have bizarre pictures totally unrelated to the music, this is the pick of the bunch.

a curiously familiar logo

T.Rex/Diana Ross

Pussycat (famous for that Mississippi song)

the UK's Eurovision Song Contest titans

only the band The Beatles could have been

Frank Sinatra

funk n soul double header

Adamo

Austrian promo for coal briquettes!

Kiki I Pearly

The Jacksons

Tom Jones/The Hollies

Billy Joel

Lenin speeches from 1919

Boney M

Brotherhood of Man (again)

erm...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 pm 
Bedroom Demos

As well as lots of flexis finding their way into my racks recently I also came across an unusual market stall
with boxes and boxes of 7"s for a £1 a pop. I picked out all sorts of things which were hit and miss but I kinda
went with my gut feeling rather than knowledge as several of them I'd not seen before.

Belgian

Funky & Jazzy

Daphne Oram & Vera Gray EP from 1962

Miles & Coltrane play Monk

Acid Pysch from 1970

Martin (Williams) & Derrick (Morgan) released in 1962 (still in stunning condition)

early 60's beat group on a label I'd never seen before

produced the same year Jeff Wayne released his own War Of The Worlds

tatty sleeve / lovely disc

this never had a hope in heck of ever troubling the charts, it would have been nice to see the vid on TOTP though

Hong Kong EP from '64 by 張露 obviously

specially etched / one sided debut

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:56 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Most of these I picked up yesterday on a trip up north (to Wellingborough and Kettering) but some came from Scotland last week

UK issue of a US TV comedy show that ran from '68 to '73, but it hasn't aged that well

On first impressions this looked pretty grim but is actually OK (cheesy good) but Ray is sadly no relation to the drummer with Budgie
and confusingly signs himself Phil on the rear of the sleeve.

A great double helping of beer related songs and poems released in 1977.

A jazzy film score from 1966.

This is the blue version of the same LP (which I think I already have) that has a yellow sleeve, this one is in better nick.

I love finding things like this I've never seen before, this is an in-store promo only compilation from 1972
that has it's own stand on the back to place it on the shop counter and a sterling selection of tracks.

Unfortunately this has a tatty sleeve but the 10" disc is nice, hard to find in any condition to be honest.

Not surprisingly this turned up in Scotland, it's a promo 7" singing the virtues of Dundee in the coming age
of technological enterprise to a minimal/ synth-pop backdrop, the only ever release on Tay Records niiice.

Another find north of the border was this bluesy single and 4 years before that Swedish band stole their name.

Sounds wise this pair of 60's Decca Phase 4 albums were pretty much the finds of the week, if only for the great covers!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am 
Bedroom Demos

A nice Jazz score at a local antique shop yesterday and some super sevens in a job lot over in Kettering

All priced at £3 a pop and some real gems in there too, guy said he just wanted rid of the lot but I spent over £150 just by picking.

The sleeve on this one should have just said 'classic warning'

I never even knew this existed, it came out before the Beserkley release a couple of years later

odds n ends

It came with the original insert, ahhh

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 am 
Bedroom Demos

More flexi-discs that have turned up in the past few weeks

and the answer is.... no.

Great card disc given away at BP petrol stations - it plays at 78rpm so must be late 50's early 60's.

A similar card disc but this one features animals from the Warsaw Zoo released in 1975.

Jazzy versions of Hovis ads from 1969, if you knead to find a copy you'll find they are no relation to the band Bread, crumbs!

Record shop promo flexi by the Japanese electronic band given away free by Our price etc in 1981

more freebie odds 'n' ends

Quite possibly the inspiration for this tune?

French flexi Overload!!

Pretty Polish Postcard

Released in the late 60's this disc originally came with a creepy doll, complete I'd imagine these would be worth quite a bit.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:48 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Vinyl finds from a weekend trip to Dundee and a day out in Reading.

Perhaps the only place I was ever going to find a fully sealed England football LP was going to be a charity shop in Scotland.

Bizarrely these 2 old rockers were in the same box in an Age Concern shop.

Weirdest find was this album of salesmen seminars by the Combined Group Of Companies, complete with booklet insert.

A great double album of Poe stories with excellent gruesome sound effects.

No nasty sound effects on this album that simply explains how you can win your scouting badges, zzzzzzzz......

No sexy sound effects here but a couple of good Donna Summer covers.

Mildly interesting unknown fact from a lifelong LFC fan : The day he retired in 1974 my parents brought home a new pet,
a myna bird who I named Shankly in tribute to the great man.

One of several excellent albums I have enjoyed after buying a big Jazz & Blues collection recently.

I found a handful of singles too and this one is a stand out oddity.

An over sized 78 flexi stuck onto card available in exchange for chocolate wrappers.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next