Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Quotes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:17 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

I'm interested in quotes that inspire or "speak" to you.

Or perhaps rules to life that you follow, comedic or serious. I recently read a blog post about Tolstoy's rules of life which I loved.

Quote:
Wake at five o’clock
Go to bed no later than ten o’clock
Two hours permissible for sleeping during the day
Eat moderately
Avoid sweet foods
Walk for an hour every day
Visit a brothel only twice a month
Love those to whom I could be of service
Disregard all public opinion not based on reason
Only do one thing at a time
Disallow flights of imagination unless necessary

To this list of precepts drawn up at the dawn of his adult life, most of which wouldn’t seem out of place as any of our 21st-century new year’s resolutions, Tolstoy later added these:

Never to show emotion
Stop caring about other people’s opinion of myself
Do good things inconspicuously
Keep away from women
Suppress lust by working hard
Help those less fortunate

Some quotes that I dig:

Quote:
“I've never been lonely. I've been in a room -- I've felt suicidal. I've been depressed. I've felt awful -- awful beyond all -- but I never felt that one other person could enter that room and cure what was bothering me...or that any number of people could enter that room. In other words, loneliness is something I've never been bothered with because I've always had this terrible itch for solitude. It's being at a party, or at a stadium full of people cheering for something, that I might feel loneliness. I'll quote Ibsen, "The strongest men are the most alone." I've never thought, "Well, some beautiful blonde will come in here and give me a fuck-job, rub my balls, and I'll feel good." No, that won't help. You know the typical crowd, "Wow, it's Friday night, what are you going to do? Just sit there?" Well, yeah. Because there's nothing out there. It's stupidity. Stupid people mingling with stupid people. Let them stupidify themselves. I've never been bothered with the need to rush out into the night. I hid in bars, because I didn't want to hide in factories. That's all. Sorry for all the millions, but I've never been lonely. I like myself. I'm the best form of entertainment I have. Let's drink more wine!”
Charles Bukowski

Quote:
“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”
Arthur Schopenhauer, Essays and Aphorisms

Post subject: Re: Quotes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:27 pm 
Big in Australia

Quote:
Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do - they all contain truths.
-Muhammad Ali

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 pm 
Go Platinum

Quote:
"I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well."

Henry David Thoreau

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:53 am 
Rape Gaze

"You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do." - David Foster Wallace

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 pm 
frostingspoon

PopTodd Wrote:
Quote:
Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as racist stereotypes do - they all contain truths.
-Muhammad Ali

Mindlessly generic aphorism that could just as easily refer to almost anything. See above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:16 pm 
Go Platinum

Whoa, I felt like Bukowski was describing me in that quote.

Cotton Wrote:
I'd probably just drink myself to death. More so, I mean.

"Hey Judas. I know you've made a grave mistake.
Hey Peter. You've been pretty sweet since Easter break."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 am 
Go Platinum

Mikhail Lermontov 'A Hero of our Times', 163-164p, probably the passage of literature I most self identify with.

"I was returning along the empty lanes of the stanitsa; the moon, full and red, like the glow of a fire, was beginning to show itself from behind the jagged horizon of houses. The stars calmly shone in the dark-blue vault of the sky, and I was amused to remember that there were once very sage people who thought that heavenly bodies took part in our insignificant arguments over little turfs of earth or over various invented rights. And what happened? These lamps which were lit, in their opinion in order to illuminate their battles and victories, still burn with their original brilliance, while their own passions and hopes were extinguished long ago with their very selves. What force of will gave them the conviction that the whole sky, with its innumerable population, was watching them with constant concern, mute thought it may have been!

And we, their pitiful decedents, wandering the earth without conviction or pride, without pleasure or fear, but with that involuntary dread that grips the heart at the thought of an inescapable end - we are no longer able to be great martyrs, not for the good of mankind, nor even for the sake of our own happiness, because we know it is impossible. And so we shift indifferently from one doubt to another, just as our ancestors rushed from one delusion to the next, but without having, as they did either hope or even that indeterminate but real pleasure that meets the soul in every struggle with people or fate.

Many similar such thoughts passed through my mind, and I didn't suppress them because I don't like to dwell on any abstract thought. Where would that lead me? In my early youth I was a dreamer, I loved to cherish gloomy and iridescent images in turn, which my restless and thirsty imagination painted for me. But what did this leave me with? Only fatigue, like that which comes after a nocturnal battle with a spectre, and dim recollections, filled with regret. In this pointless struggle I exhausted both the fire of my soul and the constancy of my will, both necessary for a real life. I then set about living this life, having survived it already in my thoughts, and I became bored and repulsed, like a man who is reading a stupid imitation of a book with which he has long been familiar."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm 
Big in Australia

Radcliffe Wrote:
PopTodd Wrote:
Quote:
Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as racist stereotypes do - they all contain truths.
-Muhammad Ali

Mindlessly generic aphorism that could just as easily refer to almost anything. See above.

You are such a grump.
I'm smiling, though, as this was not unexpected.
:cheers:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:01 pm 
Major Label Sell Out

Quote:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:16 pm 
frostingspoon

Quote:
it is better to be truthful and good...than to not

Freddy Benson's grandmother

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:48 pm 
frostingspoon

"Whew. Don't go in there for 35...45 minutes!" - Willie Jones (Friday)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

toots Wrote:
Quote:
it is better to be truthful and good...than to not

Freddy Benson's grandmother

"NOT grandmother???"

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:36 pm 
frostingspoon

i always loved that movie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:33 am 

I've had to order the Lermontov, so much to read.

Quote:
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
John Muir

Quote:
“Silence is sometimes the best answer”
Dalai Lama XIV

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:12 pm 
frostingspoon

That Muir quote is great, Roach.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 pm 

Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:

Yeah, he has so many inspiring quotes.

"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness"

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:33 pm 
Big in Australia

"The only time that I say 'no' is when they ask if I've had enough."
-Peter Laughner (from "In the Bar")

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:24 am 
Big in Australia

How great are the Blackhawks?

"They got black people loving hockey!"

http://wgntv.com/2015/06/16/this-mans-r ... eve-heard/

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
frostingspoon

Roach Wrote:
Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:

Yeah, he has so many inspiring quotes.

"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness"

Love that one too.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:01 pm 

Highly recommend.

Quote:
The best advice I can offer to those heading into the world of film is not to wait for the system to finance your projects and for others to decide your fate. If you can’t afford to make a million-dollar film, raise $10,000 and produce it yourself. That’s all you need to make a feature film these days. Beware of useless, bottom-rung secretarial jobs in film-production companies. Instead, so long as you are able-bodied, head out to where the real world is. Roll up your sleeves and work as a bouncer in a sex club or a warden in a lunatic asylum or a machine operator in a slaughterhouse. Drive a taxi for six months and you’ll have enough money to make a film. Walk on foot, learn languages and a craft or trade that has nothing to do with cinema. Filmmaking — like great literature — must have experience of life at its foundation. Read Conrad or Hemingway and you can tell how much real life is in those books. A lot of what you see in my films isn’t invention; it’s very much life itself, my own life. If you have an image in your head, hold on to it because — as remote as it might seem — at some point you might be able to use it in a film. I have always sought to transform my own experiences and fantasies into cinema.

Quote:
“Television creates loneliness. This is why sitcoms have added laughter tracks which try to cheat you out of your solitude. Television is a reflection of the world in which we live, designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It kills spontaneous imagination and destroys our ability to entertain ourselves, painfully erasing our patience and sensitivity to significant detail.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 pm 
frostingspoon

He's heavy, but he's right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:57 pm 
British Press Hype

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:00 pm 
Big in Australia

Head Gardener Wrote:

Didn't Hitler refer to "The Jewish Problem" back in 1938 or 39?
Damn. More and more.
Next thing you know, Trump will be proposing his "Final Solution."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 pm 
Go Platinum

The whole book.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:51 am 

particularly resonant at the mark 17:34.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop