Post subject: 2015 Films
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

What films have you enjoyed this year?

Post subject: Re: 2015 Films
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:22 pm 
Go Platinum

I hardly ever go.

I saw Ant-Man and Jurassic World - both mindless fun.

I also saw Mr. Holmes, which was great because Ian McKellen is always great, and it was a new take on the character that has been done so many times lately.

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:27 am 
Gayford R. Tincture

I liked Mad Max a lot.

Ant-Man was fun. Inside Out was pretty good.

I can't remember what else I've seen. We don't get out to see many grown-up movies these days, and when we do get the opportunity, we tend to opt for big dumb blockbusters over art-house/foreign stuff. Partly this is just for the easy escapism, and partly it's for convenience since we'll have more options of place and time with the major releases.

We'll probably take the kids to see the Pixar dinosaur movie, and then we'll go see Star Wars after it's been out a week or so.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 am 

Some of my favourites so far:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 am 
Hair Trigger of Doom

I also liked Ant-Man quite a lot. The Martian was also great.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:40 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dope
Trainwreck
The Look of Silence
The End of the Tour
Straight Outta Compton
The Martian
Sicario
Bridge of Spies
Steve Jobs
Spectre
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
The Gift
Ant-Man
It Follows
A Most Violent Year

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm 
frostingspoon

Saw that last Hunger Games flick, and was so-so on it. It's a dark book, so I guess it needed to be that kind of film, but it was just ok as a thing to watch. Final scene kinda left it on a sour note... that dialogue wasn't in the book, I don't think, and it shouldn't have been in the film.

$0.02

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 pm 
Go Platinum

Fury Road
Kingsman
What We Do In The Shadows
Sicario
Beasts of No Nation
Ex Machina
Meru

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:01 pm 
Fluke Breakthrough Single

Listen to Me Marlon
Iris
When Marnie Was There
Love & Mercy
Inside Out
Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Bridge of Spies

should see over holiday: pixar dinosaur flick, hateful 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 pm 
Gayford R. Tincture

shaMoxie Wrote:
Tale of the Princess Kaguya

I bought this because of how awesome it looks, but I have yet to really sit and watch it all the way through. I tried watching it with the kids first (mistake!) but haven't yet managed to go back to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:31 pm 
Fluke Breakthrough Single

i'm a sucker for most things ghibli so we pick up anything they churn out. princess kaguya was not a mononoke but decent for takahata (fireflies) since he's not one of my favorite writers. the wife and I enjoyed this for the most part but we thought themes are a bit too similar to ponyo & kiki.

if you have roku check out the manga app by starz - i've been on a binge of original astro boy since halloween. some other quality content there...and i think netflix is starting to import more shows like 7 deadly sins but that stuff really ain't my bag.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:38 pm 

paper Wrote:
Meru

+1 on Meru.

I love the posters.

Loads more to add but give a week or so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:12 pm 

Best Movie Posters of 2015

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:01 pm 
Go Platinum

Roach Wrote:

Just took the time to watch this whole thing last night...very well done...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:46 pm 

I'm still fascinated that one of my favourite films this year was shot with an iphone5s with apps/mods. Inspirational.

How one of the best films at Sundance was shot using an iPhone 5S

Quote:
Tangerine, a breakout hit from this year’s Sundance Film Festival, is full of surprises. There’s the subject matter: transgender prostitutes working in a not-so glamorous part of Hollywood. And there are the characters: flinty, funny, nobody’s victim. But the story behind the camera is as surprising as what’s in front of it. Particularly because the camera used to shoot Tangerine was the iPhone 5S.

""It was surprisingly easy.""

Plenty of amateur films have been shot using iPhones, but by all reports, this is the first movie at the Sundance Film Festival to be shot almost entirely on an Apple device. It was a decision that indie writer and director Sean Baker made to accommodate the film’s small budget. But you’d never guess the camera, to look at it: Tangerine was shot in a widescreen, 2:35:1 aspect ratio, and its camera zooms through the streets of LA with a fluidity you’d never expect from a handheld device. And yet despite his camera of choice, Baker says the iPhone made for a good partner. "It was surprisingly easy," Baker says. "We never lost any footage."

So how do you make a Sundance movie for iPhone? You need four things. First, of course, the iPhone (Baker and his team used three). Second, an $8 app called Filmic Pro that allowed the filmmakers fine-grained control over the focus, aperture, and color temperature. Third, a Steadicam. "These phones, because they’re so light, and they’re so small, a human hand — no matter how stable you are — it will shake. And it won’t look good," says Baker. "So you needed the Steadicam rig to stabilize it."

The final ingredient was a set of anamorphic adapter lenses that attach to the iPhone. The lenses were prototypes from Moondog Labs, and Baker said they were essential to making Tangerine look like it belonged on a big screen. "To tell you the truth, I wouldn’t have even made the movie without it," Baker says. "It truly elevated it to a cinematic level."

Like any conventional film, Tangerine underwent post-production. "With a lot of these social realist films, the first thing you do is drain the color," Baker says. "We went the other way. We pumped the colors and put the saturation through the roof. Just because the world there is so colorful, and the women are so colorful. We wanted it to match them." (Orange emerged as the dominant color in the film, inspiring its title.) The final step was to apply a digital grain to the movie, giving it a quality more reminiscent of actual film.

At first, the cast wasn’t convinced shooting with the iPhone would work. "I had some hesitancy about it, more out of pride," says James Ransone, who plays Chester, the pimp at the center of Tangerine’s love triangle. "I’m like, Jesus Christ, man, I was on The Wire. I’ve ended up in iPhone movies!" But Ransone came to appreciate the flexibility of the device. "There’s a lot that can be done with an iPhone." (One example: Baker shot several scenes while riding his 10-speed bicycle in circles around his actors.)

Ransone said that the key to shooting Tangerine was having a team well-versed in traditional filmmaking. "You still need to know how editing works. You still need to know how sound works. You still need to know how a camera works," he says. "You can’t just go out and shoot." iPhone footage hasn’t yet caught up with true 35 millimeter film — a high bar — but Ransone expects it will some day. "Yes, you can make a beautiful-looking film on a shoestring budget," he says. "But you have to know 100 years worth of filmmaking."

""You can make a beautiful film on a shoestring budget.""

The unusual creative process behind Tangerine doesn’t stop with its camera. Baker made the movie after becoming obsessed with a donut store in his neighborhood, a seedy block on Santa Monica Boulevard with a notorious reputation. "It was a chaotic corner — there was always something going on in Donut Time," he says. "So I said, I wanna make a film about Donut Time." That idea led him and his co-writer, Chris Bergoch, to a nearby LGBT center, where they met Mya Taylor, an aspiring singer and actress, who in turn introduced the filmmakers to her roommate and eventual co-star, Kiki Kitana Rodriguez.

The two women began sharing some stories from around the block, ("People love to hear drama. Especially filmmakers," Taylor tells me) and happened upon a striking bit of drama from the neighborhood: a trans woman became enraged when she heard her boyfriend had slept with a biological female — "actual fish," as they say in Tangerine. The trans woman decided to hunt the other woman down, and thus Tangerine found its inspiration, with the writers collaborating with their cast on the script.

The result, at least for me, is the ideal Sundance movie: totally unexpected, set in a world I’ve never visited, with a story the major studios wouldn’t touch with a 10-foot selfie stick. Rodriguez is an effervescent blur as Sin-Dee Rella, an ex-con hunting down her pimp fiancée’s mistress on Christmas Eve. She stomps down Hollywood’s Walk of Fame like it’s a catwalk, spitting fire at anyone dumb enough to cross her, and manages to terrify nearly every man she meets. Taylor, as her best friend and fellow prostitute Alexandra, tries to talk sense into Sin-Dee every step of the way, cleaning up the damage in her wake. Their sisterhood in the face of real danger brings depth to the frequently over-the-top comedy.

Tangerine isn’t perfect — it slows considerably in its final third, and the big climax at Donut Time feels less convincing than the film that led up to it. But in a festival full of coming-of-age dramas and straightforward documentaries, it’s a minor miracle: a good long look at the margins, captured by a $550 phone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:40 am 
Rape Gaze

Sicario
Room
Star Wars The Force Awakens
Mad Max Fury Road
The Martian
Blackhat
We Are Still Here
It Follows
Spring

Black Mass
The Night Before
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (mostly for Rebecca Ferguson)
Spectre
Chappie
The Avengers: Age Of Ultron
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II
Crimson Peak

Jurassic World (better than 3 but kind of awful)
Straight Outta Compton (The guy who played Eazy-E was great, the rest was so-so)
Terminator Genysis (meh)
Sinister 2

Furious 7 (was so terrible)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:19 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Star Wars is really good - probably the 2nd or 3rd best of the entire series.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop