Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Billy G - Top 2015
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:37 pm 
Go Platinum

1. Kamasi Washington – The Epic

This aptly titled debut album by talented saxophonist is a 172 minute, 3 record set featuring a 10 piece band, a 30 person full string orchestra and a 20 person choir. The core band all grew up playing together in Los Angeles came together and rented themselves a studio for a month in 2011 and locked themselves in from 10 in the morning until 2 in the morning and collectively recorded 190 songs for 8 different projects. Kamasi Washington’s album of 17 songs is the first release from these sessions. This is high art and easily the best new album I heard all year. RIYL: John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp, Eddie Gale, Donald Byrd, Horace Tapscott, Build An Ark, Sun Ra, etc.

2. Robert Earl Keen – Happy Prisoner: The Bluegrass Sessions
3. Ann McCue – Blue Sky Thinkin’

Popmatters says it better than I could:

Quote:
Despite the fact she had a hand in writing every one of its dozen songs, any one of the selections might just as easily be mistaken for a standard tune that originated in the ‘20s, ‘30s or ‘40s. McCue opts for a kind of ragtime revelry, an approach that involves sax, trumpet, trombone, clarinet, violin, accordion, double bass and a carefree ambiance overall.
Although both the mood and the music seem to lend themselves to scenarios which involve booze, bravado and bordellos, McCue’s perky attitude—along with the colorful paintings she chose to adorn the album’s cover—suggests she had a somewhat mischievous intent in mind. Indeed, several songs come across as quite a big tease. When she utters the lyric, “Mama don’t rock / Daddy don’t roll / Devil’s in the middle / And he wants your soul,” the sentiments she’s hinting at become about as dark as it ever gets. On the other hand, McCue can tend to get a bit testy at times. For example, on the song “It Wasn’t Fun While It Lasted” she mercilessly lambastes a lame-ass lover by raking him over the coals with a long list of transgressions. This is a woman who doesn’t feel any obligation to simply stand by her man, especially when she has ample reason to rebel.
Still, that forthright repast doesn’t detract from the playful attitude the album conveys overall. McCue mostly seems quite content to indulge in more frivolous pursuits and a kind of unabashed sentimentality shown on such tracks as “Little White Cat,” “Dig Two Graves” and “Save a Life”. That carefree innocence is a joy to behold, as well as a timely reminder that not everything expressed these days has to be chock full of doom and gloom. More importantly, it’s a milestone of sorts in McCue’s career, one that suggests she’s ascended to a new plateau in terms of creativity and accessibility. Like the eternal optimism its title suggests, Blue Sky Thinkin’ portrays its maker as having a knack for both sass and brass.

The band is excellent. Dave Alvin provides great harmony vocals on one song and the following song was co-written with Tentoze favorite, David Olney:

4. Barna Howard – Quite A Feelin’
5. Macaco – Historias Tattooadas
6. Gill Landry – S/T

Gill Landry used to be a multi-instrumentalist (banjo, guitar, steel guitar, etc) with the Old Crow Medicine Show performing under the name Frank Lemon. As a solo artist, he performs roots rock under his own name. This is his third album but the first one I’ve heard. “Just Like You” (see below) just might be my favorite song from 2015 but the whole album is really good.

7. John Moreland – High on Tulsa Heat
8. The Westies – West Side Stories
9. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
10. Jason Isbell – Something More than Free
11. Simon Stanley Ward – S/T
12. Watkins Family Hour – S/T
13. David Ramirez - Fables
14. The Pine Hill Project – Tomorrow You’re Going
15. Matt Keating – This Perfect Crime
16. Scott Hrabko & The Rabbits – Biscuits and Gravy

It’s a lazy description but Scrott Hrabko has the sort of sound that I could imagine Justin Townes Earle playing if he’d taken a slightly different path after his first couple of albums.

17. New Orleans Jazz Vipers – Going! Going! Gone!
18. Darrell Scott – Ten: The Songs of Ben Bullington
19. Dean Owens – Into the Sea
20. Ben Rogers – The Blood Red Yonder
21. Chuck Hawthorne – Silver Line
22. Andrew Combs – All These Dreams
23. Jayme Stone – Jayme Stone’s Lomax Project
24. Daniel Romano – If I’ve Only One Time Askin’
25. Kevin Deal – Nothing Left to Prove
26. Beth Bombara – S/T
27. Gretchen Peters – Blackbirds
28. Barnstar – Sit Down! Get Up! Get Out!
29. Bill Fay – Who is the Sender?
30. Spirit Family Reunion – Hands Together

Last edited by billy g on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Billy G - Top 2015
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:28 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Curious as to whether you heard Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers, and if so, what you thought. And if not, give 'em a shot - you might dig.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:16 pm 
Go Platinum

Drawing a blank on nearly all of these, Mr. B. And that's no reflection on you, but on me, no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:01 pm 
Gayford R. Tincture

I like that Kamasi Washington album, but, as much as I hate to say it, I wish it was about an hour shorter. The length and overall general pleasantness of it makes it feel a little bland to me although "Cherokee" really helps breathe life into it toward the end.

I know that's not a popular opinion, and it's on pretty much every Best Jazz Albums of 2015 list I can find as well as many publications general Best of 2015 lists. I don't think I heard a better 2015 jazz album, either (unless you count freeform improv rock like Zs), but I definitely did hear jazz albums from 2014 and 2013 that I liked a lot more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:21 pm 
Go Platinum

FT Wrote:
Curious as to whether you heard Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers, and if so, what you thought. And if not, give 'em a shot - you might dig.

If I'm remembering correctly, I gave it a listen via spotify earlier in the year and thought it was ok, somewhat similar to other things I like, but it didn't really stand out enough to make me want to buy it or give it many more listens. I'll give it another listen though to make sure I'm not confusing it with something else.

Drinky Wrote:
I like that Kamasi Washington album, but, as much as I hate to say it, I wish it was about an hour shorter. The length and overall general pleasantness of it makes it feel a little bland to me although "Cherokee" really helps breathe life into it toward the end.

Its so completely the sort of jazz that I love that the length doesn't bother me in the least. I kind of appreciate the balls it took to release a triple album as a debut. I don't listen to much new jazz but I definitely haven't heard any recently that I like more.

Tentoze Wrote:
Drawing a blank on nearly all of these, Mr. B. And that's no reflection on you, but on me, no doubt.

I'd like to say that I'll find time to post more info on all of these albums and samples but you might be one of the few that one be interested and I'm not sure when I'd find the time. I'd feel pretty comfortable recommending most everything on my list to you other than Kamasi Washington, Macaco, Tobias Jesso Jr, and Bill Fay.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:24 pm 
Indie Debut

billy g Wrote:
7. John Moreland – High on Tulsa Heat
9. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
10. Jason Isbell – Something More than Free
24. Daniel Romano – If I’ve Only One Time Askin’

I've only heard those (4), but there's plenty more to check out !
Will certainly track down The Westies (per your suggestion) as well as your #1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 pm 
frostingspoon

billy g Wrote:
I'd like to say that I'll find time to post more info on all of these albums and samples but you might be one of the few that one be interested and I'm not sure when I'd find the time.

hoping you find the time at some point. i'm too lazy to download mixes or sign up for spotify, but i dig the ease of the embedded youtubes. i'm fairly sure that's how i found Barna Howard from you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 pm 
Go Platinum

e-stone Wrote:
billy g Wrote:
I'd like to say that I'll find time to post more info on all of these albums and samples but you might be one of the few that one be interested and I'm not sure when I'd find the time.

hoping you find the time at some point. i'm too lazy to download mixes or sign up for spotify, but i dig the ease of the embedded youtubes. i'm fairly sure that's how i found Barna Howard from you in the first place.

All right. I'll do a little bit at a time randomly and bump the thread each time. See first four additions.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

High art.

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop