Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Evil Dr. K's Specially Selected Cuts 1964-1965-1966
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:46 pm 
Go Platinum

During Covid lockdown I've been listening to 2,000 singles released in 1964 and 1965. I thought I might share some of my favourites here. I'll toss three sacrificial victims into the screaming void that is Obner per day and now present to you my first trio of picks.

The Motions - For Another Man.

Evil Dr K says "The best thing out of the Netherlands since the word 'yacht'."

The Contours - First I Look At The Purse.

Evil Dr K Says "In music when you say 'You wouldn't get away with this these days', it's got to be a good thing. Sample lyric - 'I don't care if her hair's a wig, I don't care if her teeth are big, cos first I look at the purse."

Johnny Cash - Orange Blossom Special

Evil Dr K says "Hello. I'm Johnny Cash. This is the 2.10 service to Orange Blossom. Dexedrine pills can be found at our refreshment stand which is located in the middle of this train."

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Evil Dr. K's Specially Selected Cuts 1964-1965
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:27 am 
Go Platinum

Brenda Lee - Is It True?

Evil Dr. K says "This one features a young session guitarist by the name of Jimmy Page. However for me it's the powerful drumming of ace sticksman Bobby Graham that really stands out here."

Bobby Marchan - You Won't Do Right

Evil Dr. K says "It's soul but it's a different beast from Motown and the Northern soul scene. You could almost takes slices of this from the air afore your speakers. I absolutely love when he says 'nothin'aboutyou!' "

Buck Owens - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail

Evil Dr. K says "Country music of this period frequently had really cool guitar solos. This doesn't disappoint."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:28 am 
Go Platinum

Shirley Ellis - The Name Game

Evil Dr. K says "I'm still trying to memorise the rules of the Name Game but since it's such great song I don't mind listening over".

The Marvelettes - Don't Mess With Bill

Evil Dr. K says "A fine example of the 'Fool Around With My Man And I'll Kick Your Cunt In' genre. Written and produced by Smokey Robinson."

Lorne Green - Ringo

Evil Dr. K says "In a way it's the Gangsta Rap of 1964. The fact that it's daft and hoaky is it's strong suite. Also my mates dog is called Ringo."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 am 
Go Platinum

Chuck Berry - Dear Dad

Evil Dr. K says "Chuck was still battering out hits in '65 perhaps inspired by devotees like The Beatles. My favourite of the period is 'The Promised Land' but I think this one is perhaps lesser known so I picked this."

Little Milton - We're Gonna Make It

Evil Dr. K says "If you, like me, have one and a half arse cheeks on the street thanks to Covid you can perhaps take some inspiration from this uptempo soul track. We're gonna make it! Maybe."

The Starfires - I Never Loved Her

Evil Dr. K says "The truth is most garage music should have stayed in the garage but there is good stuff out there. This tracks psychosis builds beautifully."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 am 
Go Platinum

Fred Hughes - Oo Wee Baby, I Love You

Evil Dr. K says "While the title might suggest some kind of Scottish music hall this is most definately a premium slice of tuned down Chicago soul. This was Fred's big hit but he did manage to follow it up with some well regarded tracks on the Northern soul scene, albeit without troubling the charts. "

Dobie Grey - The In Crowd

Evil Dr. K says "1965 saw Dylan come to the fore, a smattering of American garage bands either inspired by or in opposition to The Beatles and a clutch of second rank British invasion groups. 1964 though was totally dominated by the US soul scene, only The Beatles were on the same level, give or take the odd Beach Boys or Kinks highlight. This assertive paen to hipness is another '64 soul smash but it would take Dobie Grey another 8 years before he really hit the big time. Perhaps if I ever do 1973 he'll feature again"

The Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running

Evil Dr. K says "This is a well known song in the UK, it was no.1 in 1965, but it never did much commercially in the States so I don't know how well known it is over there. It's a poppy, jaunty tune for the most part but just listen to those hard fuzz guitar sections. It wasn't the first use of fuzz but I think it's a nice little presage to dials being turned ever harder and the coming of rock music."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:55 am 
Go Platinum

The Magic Plants - I'm A Nothing

Evil Dr. K says "To my ear there is a sort of proto-Velvet Underground quality to this track (Lou Reed's band of the period The Ostriches may feature later on). It also has to be said there is a hint of the Stones 'Satisfaction' in the verses but not so much to spoil it, indeed it's the chorus that really makes this track. Apparently The Magic Plants got a record deal purely on the basis that they had long hair - a truly terrifying spectacle in 1965. In the meantime I'm thinking of putting my hair in braids, Willie Nelson style, as I await my post Covid haircut".

Candy & The Kisses - The 81

Evil Dr. K says "Another song that echoes a more illustrious forebear. This is a cracking soul track though it does bare some resemble to Martha & the Vandellas excellent 'In My Lonely Room'. There is a thin line with these sort of things but for me it still manages to find it's own kind of identity. Contrast with someone from the same period, Donovan, and his cringey Dylan rip offs which will NOT feature."

Len Barry - 1-2-3

Evil Dr. K says "And while we are on the topic of rips offs we must accept that Edwyn Collins stole the intro of this track for this worldwide hit 'A Girl Like You'. Nice bass, nice sax and despite the fact the Len looks like an English lit lecturer at a red brick university that middle section is pretty raunchy."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 am 
Go Platinum

The Rangers - Justine

Evil Dr. K says "If this sounds undeniably retro, even for '64, it's because it is. The original was performed by Don & Dewey back in the 1950's. The Rangers were a group of musicians out of the Kim Fowley stable who performed under a bewildering number of different names. One of these was The Renegades but they should not be mistaken for the group below who were a different band of Renegades! A rockin' nod back to the 50's and I love the false ending."

The Renegades - Cadillac

Evil Dr. K says "As mentioned above not to be confused with The Rangers who were sometimes known as The Renegades or by the fact that Kim Fowley who produced the The Rangers/The Renegades also did a cover of 'Brand New Cadillac'! These Renegades were an English band who had some success in Europe, particularly Scandinavia, but who didn't do much in their homeland. Like 'Justine' this is also a 50's cover version, this time of the Vince Taylor track, despite the audacious attempt to convince otherwise by giving themselves writing credit."

The Impressions - People Get Ready

Evil Dr. K says "As is well known The Impressions were Curtis Mayfield's pre solo vocal group and this rather beautiful track was penned by his genius self."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am 
Go Platinum

The Shangri-Las - Right Now And Not Later Baby

Evil Dr. K says "Perhaps in some quarters The Shangri-Las would be considered one hit wonders but they had various hits on both sides of the Atlantic and even those singles releases that missed were generally of a pretty good standard. In fact I'd suggest that The Shangri-Las were one of the best groups of the 64-65 period releasing half a dozen good (or better) singles. I could have gone with the gloomy death disc 'I Can Never Go Home Anymore' which is excellent but I've gone for the more poppy 'Right Now And Not Later Baby'.

Talula Babies - Hurtin' Kind

Evil Dr. K says "I know so little about this group I'm not even 100% certain of the band name. I have also seen Talulu Babies, Tulua Babies and Tulu Babies. Take your pick or make up your own variation! Apparently they were from Cleveland and that's about all I know other than a few other obscure 60's groups covered this track (The Bittersweets, Zebra Strips).

Aretha Franklin - Soulville

Evil Dr. K says "I've tried to stay away from bigger name artists and Aretha Franklin is hardly an obscurity but I think that it's interesting that while almost everyone knows her Atlantic output starting in 1967 the music she released before then isn't as well known. For instance I had no idea that 'Runnin' Out Of Fools' wasn't a Neko Case original. This one, 'Soulville' which came out on Columbia in 1965 is every bit as good as her more famous offerings."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 am 
Go Platinum

The Premiers - Farmer John

Evil Dr. K says "If Ralph Malph from Happy Days had a dorm party this is what I imagine what it would sound like. Also one for the ages - who is Herbert?"

Maxine Brown - Oh No Not My Baby

Evil Dr. K says "We'll get the bad news out of the way first. Manfred Mann covered this in the same year...and we will say no more about THAT. Great vocal from Ms. Brown and a sort of Motown-ish/Marvin Gaye style backing although this didn't actually come out on Motown."

The Sorrows - You've Got What I Want

Evil Dr. K says "It was a sub-genre I supposed but the Freakbeat scene was fairly strong in 1965, this was the year The Who broke out with a perhaps unmatched salvo of singles. However there were others worthy of the spot light and I like this rather frenetic jumble of instruments by The Sorrows. In 1965 this would have been pretty far out there."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:28 am 
Go Platinum

MAJOR ARTISTS OF THE PERIOD

A few posts back I mentioned that the Shangri Las were probably one of the best groups of the 64/65 period. Since I kept a spreadsheet of all my scores (each single was ranked on a 1 - 5 stars scale with a 4 or 5 my quality threshold) I thought it might be interesting to have a look and see who really were the best groups (IMO of course). Who got the most 4 or 5 scores?

The results are, ahem, slightly skewed by Beatlemania and the fact that just about every Beatles track was released as a single at some point in the US. However it's the consistency of the early Beatles songwriting that I think really marks them out above all others, even rivals like Holland-Dozier-Holland, so perhaps it's fitting. Also of note is that The Who were the only artist those output was all 5 star marked. Other artists that managed a clean sweep of either 4 or 5s were Bob Dylan, James Brown, The Byrds, Little Richard, Irma Thomas and Mary Wells although Dylan aside these artists had less output.

When artists are tied they are in no particular order. I've only included those artists that managed a 4 or 5 scored single three times as the list gets rather long if we included those that managed it one or two times.

MOST 4 or 5 SCORED SINGLES - 1964/65

1. The Beatles - 27
2. The Kinks - 7
3. The Supremes - 6
3. The Rolling Stones - 6
3. Bob Dylan - 6
6. Otis Redding - 5
6. Marvin Gaye - 5 (1 duet with Mary Wells)
6. The Animals - 5
9. The Beach Boys - 4
9. Chuck Berry - 4
9. Martha & The Vandellas - 4
9. The Miracles - 4
9. The Shangri-Las - 4
9. The Zombies - 4
15. James Brown & The Famous Flames - 3
15. The Byrds - 3
15. Four Tops - 3
15. Little Richard - 3
15. The Pretty Things - 3
15. Nina Simone - 3
15. Them - 3
15. Irma Thomas - 3
15. Dionne Warwick - 3
15. Mary Wells - 3 (1 duet with Marvin Gaye)
15. The Who - 3
15. The Yardbirds - 3

***UPDATED TO INCLUDE 1966***

1. The Beatles - 33
2. Bob Dylan - 10
2. The Kinks - 10
4. The Rolling Stones - 9
4. The Supremes - 9
6. The Animals - 8
6. Otis Redding - 8
8. The Beach Boys - 7
9. The Byrds - 6
9. Marvin Gaye - 6 (1 duet with Mary Wells, 1 duet with Kim Weston)
9. The Who - 6
12. Four Tops - 5
12. Nancy Sinatra - 5 (1 duet with Lee Hazlewood)
12. Them - 5
12. The Yardbirds - 5
16. Chuck Berry - 4
16. James Brown & The Famous Flames - 4
16. Martha & The Vandellas - 4
16. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 4
16. Wilson Pickett - 4
16. The Shangri-La's - 4
16. Simon & Garfunkel - 4
16. The Temptations - 4
16. The Zombies - 4
25. Little Richard - 3
25. Dusty Springfield - 3
25. Irma Thomas - 3
25. The Walker Brothers - 3
25. Dionne Warwick - 3
25. Mary Wells - 3 (1 duet with Marvin Gaye)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:51 am 
Go Platinum

The Mojo Men - She's My Baby

Evil Dr. K says "Some fuzz guitar, a harmonica and a bad attitude. Rather exotically, like The Honeycombs of the same period, The Mojo Men had a female drummer."

The Zombies - Leave Me Be

Evil Dr. K says "The Zombies were one of the bigger British Invasion groups yet before now I'd never listened to them at all. I have been pleasantly surprised. This track is excellent but has caused me some anguish as when I heard it it strongly reminded me of a Pixies or perhaps Frank Black song and I can't for the life of me remember which one. Anyway, I suspect Frank lifted the chords."

Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters - Messin' With The Kid

Evil Dr. K says "Somewhere between rock, soul and blues this seems to me to be a sort of forerunner of groups like The Dirtbombs. Messin' With The Kid was the best of the clutch of singles Baby Huey released in the mid 60's. Sadly Baby Huey died in 1970 just after releasing his only LP. Apparently being a 350lb heroin addict is not that healthy."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 pm 
Go Platinum

Marc Bolan - The Wizard

Evil Dr. K says "I was always under the impression that Bolan came out of the perfumed garden London hippy scene but here he is pre Summer of Love knocking out a edgy guitar number albeit with some sonic garnishing. Nothing very flowery about this."

Garnet Mimms - As Long As I Have You

Evil Dr. K says "This tough, dramatic affair was the best of Garnet Mimms output during the period. Love the punchy bass and the backing singers do a grand job."

Lesley Gore - Look Of Love

Evil Dr. K says "After those last two picks we should probably end on something a bit lighter. Lesley Gore was pretty prolific in terms of releasing singles over the period we are covering and she had a few good ones but this is probably the best of the lot. Within a year this type of music would be virtually gone with grittier rock artists moving in but as retro-ish early 60s bubblegum pop goes this is an excellent example."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:18 am 
Go Platinum

The Valentinos - It's All Over Now

Evil Dr. K says "Bobby Womack's group. This track is of course better known by the Rolling Stones cover version but the original deserves some exposure too. Apparently Womack was not keen on the Stones version until the cheques started rolling in and his opinion altered significantly."

Shel Naylor - One Fine Day

Evil Dr. K says "You may not have heard of Shel Naylor (I hadn't) but this track has a few big names connected to it. It was written by Dave Davies of The Kinks, one of the first songs he wrote, but it didn't make the cut for the first Kinks album. It was consequently given to 17 year old Naylor. Rumour has it that it is The Kinks playing the music but in actual fact it was that oh so familiar trio of London session players - Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Bobby Graham. It's a fairly simple song but it's got some energy about it that I kind of like and of course it's very well played with some interesting guitar touches from Jimmy."

Evie Sands - I Can't Let Go

Evil Dr. K says "This track by Evie Sands is probably one of my favourite discoveries. Really nice tune (written by Jon Voight's brother, Chip Taylor) and vocal underpinned by some interesting bass playing. The Hollies covered this track but being The Hollies it's not that good although perhaps as good as they got."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:17 pm 
Go Platinum

The Birds - You're On My Mind

Evil Dr. K says "Not them. The other ones. The British ones. The ones with 17 year old pre skeletal face Ronnie Woods. This was, in my opinion, the best of the singles they put out in the mid-sixties. Starts off all unprepossessing-British-youth-with-harmonica but the chorus brings it together and it has a cool guitar interjection from Ron*. *Decca label so probably Jimmy Page again.

The Ad Libs - 'The Boy From New York City'

Evil Dr. K says "You gotta love a bit of doo-wop backing vocal although it was coming to the end of its shelf life by this stage. Sadly for the Ad Libs this was the one and only time anyone paid any attention to them and they were unceremoniously punted by the record company which seems a bit of a shame. On this evidence Mary Ann Thomas had a very nice voice and the boys at the back do a fine job too."

Big Al Downing - 'Georgia Slops'

Evil Dr. K says "Straight outta Okefenokee Swamp? Although it might sound like it Big Al, the big was not ironic, was from Oklahoma and got his break tickling the ivories for Wanda Jackson if you'll excuse the phrase. This made him one of the relatively uncommon band of black country and western performers. Lil Nas X eat your heart out."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm 
Go Platinum

The Eyes - When The Night Falls

Evil Dr. K says "What was the first psychedelic record? 1966 was chockablock with psychedelic records but only a year before they were few and far between. Of all the records I listened to during my project this interesting track was perhaps the most overtly psychedelic of all the 1965 releases. The Eyes came out of the British mod scene but to my ears this is quite innovative. Off the top of my head I can really only think of The Spades 'You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone' as a rival.

The Spades - You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone

Evil Dr K says "Since we mentioned them. The Spades were of course Roky Erickson pre 13th Floor Elevators and the aforementioned group would re-record this track in 1966 to far more acclaim."

Sugar Pie DeSanto - Soulful Dress

Evil Dr. K says "I've come across Sugar Pie DeSanto in the past but nothing struck quite like this one. This one is rugged and raw in the best possible way."

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Evil Dr. K's Specially Selected Cuts 1964-1965-1966
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am 
Go Platinum

I have made a change to the title of the thread. Originally it was 1964-65 as I had completely these years when I started the thread but I am now over the half way point of 1966 and after thinking about it I believe 1966 belongs in the same place as it was the end result of the transition in music that happened over the mid sixties period. Including 1967 would probably be pushing it but 1966, for me, yes, it belongs here. Anyway as a result from today I'll be including tracks from 1966.

Wilson Pickett - Ninety Nine And A Half (Won't Do)

Evil Dr. K says "Take a bow son, Wilson Pickett is the inaugural 1966 track of the thread. Everyone will know his more famous tracks like 'Mustang Sally' or 'Land of 1000 Dances' but strangely this one was a bit of a flop although in my opinion it's way better than another of his big hits of that period '6345789 (Soulsville, USA)'.

The Mockingbirds - You Stole My Love

Evil Dr. K says "Back to 1965 now. The Mockingbirds featured Graham Gouldman and Lol Creme who would go on to have success with 10CC and various other offshoots. One of those tracks that's about four different songs stuck together, something I quite like, as well as the crunchy guitars and the demolition of the drum kit which seems like an essential element to all good Mod tracks."

Jimmy Smith - Basin Street Blues

Evil Dr. K says "And might as well have a '64 track to cover all the bases. Jimmy Smith did for the Hammond organ what Wes Montgomery or Joe Pass did for guitar linking up jazz with soul and pop music. Once this track gets going it's just cooooooollllllll as fuck, the sound of a guy playing the shit out of his instrument."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:19 am 
Go Platinum

The Cinderellas - Baby, Baby (I Still Love You)

Evil Dr. K says "The Cinderellas were in fact a one single off shoot of the better known girl group The Cookies who provided backing vocals for other artists of the day and had occasional hits of their own, the best known being 'Chains' which was covered by The Beatles and 'I'm Into Something Good' covered by Manfred Mann."

Paul Revere & The Raiders - Steppin' Out

Evil Dr. K says "With their silly pantomime stage clothes and rather patchy discography you don't have to look hard to find things not to like about Paul Revere & The Raiders however they did occasionally come up with something that vaulted the white picket fence of mediocrity. This track, for example, which displays something akin to strident sass."

The Benders - Can't Tame Me

Evil Dr. says "The Benders were a college band out of Minneapolis who jobbed around doing cover band functions, recorded one 7 inch single and then went their separate ways. That was that until 46 years later when one of the band members saw their single sell on eBay for $2000 to a garage rock collector. This sparked something of a Benders revival with the surviving members getting back together to record new material and re-issue the old track."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm 
Go Platinum

The Voice - Train To Disaster

Evil Dr. K says "The Royal Crests were a Scottish R&B group who decanted to swinging London in the mid sixties and changed their name to The Voice. After releasing this noisy apocalyptic track original guitarist Miller Anderson left the group and was replaced for a time by a certain Mick Ronson."

Davie Jones & The King Bees - Liza Jane

Evil Dr. K says "Having mentioned Mick Ronson it would be remiss not to mention his eventual boss. This was David Bowie's first commercial release and suffice to say it was a flop with the public. While hardly earth shattering I suspect it was better than most of the stuff cluttering up the charts at the time."

Dee Dee Sharp - I Really Love You

Evil Dr. K says "Like so many before Dee Dee started singing backing vocals before getting the chance to work with Chubby Checker and then make the step up to be a headlining recording artist. Most of her success was either pre '64 or post '66, in particular around the disco period, but this track issued in 1965 in my view is pretty good. I like the sort of aquatic background with the bass prominent and those little keyboard stabs that cut through the watery mirk."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:21 am 
Go Platinum

Round Robin - I'm The Wolfman

Evil Dr. K says "If you are anything like me you can only imagine this playing in the lurid glow of Lux Interior and Poison Ivy's living room while they sip some obscure steaming cocktail from the sewed up, hollowed out pygmy heads they use as crystal. Round Robin, real name Lloyd Robin, but hey he was fat hence the pun, seems like an interesting character, a guy who bounced around the span of the sixties always doing something from rock n' roll, inventing brief dance crazes (The Slauson), novelty records, R&B, serious soul, Spanish language versions of standards for Mexican audiences, in fact pretty much anything to avoid a day job. You gotta admire guys like that who just stick in there."

Nina Simone - See-Line Woman

Evil Dr. K says "Another interesting character. As well as being an enigmatic performer well known for her championing of civil rights there was another side to the rather unstable Nina. She pulled more guns than the Sundance Kid and Phil Spector but together. When not attempting to murder record producers, she also held up shop assistants for refusing to refund returned goods and once shot her neighbours child with an air pistol for noisily playing in his garden while she composed - she served 8 months in a French jail as a result."

Jackie Wilson - Whispers

Evil Dr. K says "Well we may as well have a triumvirate of interesting characters. Having just sung the words 'my heart is crying' Jackie collapsed with a massive heart attack on stage in 1975. He slipped in and out comas and required serious medical care for the rest of his life before dying in the mid eighties at the young age of 49. Perhaps this is the reason that Jackie Wilson's legacy seems to have faded somewhat with the passing of years, today we think of Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding or James Brown rather than Jackie Wilson. However from the 50's to the 70's Wilson was a first rank star who had an amazing 50 chart hits. His personal life was also jammed with incident and I couldn't even begin to cover it here but if I said he once jumped out a 2nd storey window after a concert to avoid being arrested you'd have some idea. Shootings, assaulting police officers, arrests, prostitutes, multiple marriages, almost infinite affairs, a clan of illegitimate children, drugs, murders, tax evasion, bankruptcies, yep, pretty everything you'd need for the greatest TV movie ever."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm 
Go Platinum

Joe Cocker - I'll Cry Instead

Evil Dr. K says "Joe Cocker's biggest success was probably his cover of 'With A Little Help From My Friends' but here he is covering a much earlier Beatles song....ehm....much earlier. The use of the double bass is a nice touch."

The Strangeloves - Night Time

Evil Dr. K says "Night time. Is the right time. Words to live by, I think you'll agree. Rather bizarrely The Strangeloves, noticing that 'foreign' music was all the rage in 1964/65 and despite being native to New York, decided to concocted the deception that they were Australian sheep farmers. However this fanciful story of ungulate breeding did not catapult them to the Beatles like success with beat music teens that they were perhaps envisaging. Go figure. The Strangeloves were also responsible for discovering Rick Derringer....obviously as a Steely Dan fan I'm eternally grateful for the 'Show Biz Kids' guitar solo."

The Chiffons

Evil Dr. K says "Another group with a Beatles connection, although in this case it was the famous copyright case against George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' which contested George had copied 'He's So Fine' The Chiffons first and biggest hit. Also of note, The Chiffons 'I Have A Boyfriend' was the song that was cut into on Dallas radio for the newsflash that announced JFK's assassination."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am 
Go Platinum

Chris Clarke - Love's Gone Bad

Evil Dr. K says "Written by Holland-Dozier-Holland this northern soul track sounds pretty innovative, almost like modern 'dance' music. Chris Clark, 6 foot tall platinium blonde, released two albums in the late 60's and toured with Motown revues before taking a desk job as Head of Creative Affairs at the label."

The Lovin' Spoonful - Nashville Cats

Evil Dr. K says "Hey! Hey! We're....ehm...not The Monkees....although The Lovin' Spoonful were the original choice of personnel for the project. For me The Lovin' Spoonfuls discography is a bit patchy but I do really like this country tinged number."

Fleur de Lys - Circles

Evil Dr. K says "Gotta love a bit of psychedelic tinged freakbeat. Fleur de Lys had a bit of a up and down career, sometimes headliners, sometimes backing band for singers like Sharon Tandy. Jimmy Page produced their cover version of The Who track that originally featured as a B side to 'Substitute'. They also put out another nice single in 1966 'Mud In Your Eye'. Also worth watching the video for the trashy 60's cinema clips from 'The Alleycats' featuring Anne Arthur and Uta Levka."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 am 
May contain Jesus.

Evil Dr. K Wrote:
The Lovin' Spoonful - Nashville Cats

Evil Dr. K says "Hey! Hey! We're....ehm...not The Monkees....although The Lovin' Spoonful were the original choice of personnel for the project. For me The Lovin' Spoonfuls discography is a bit patchy but I do really like this country tinged number."

I think the LS original was destroyed once Del McCoury got his vocal cords around it.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:06 am 
Go Platinum

Billy Stewart - Summer Time

Evil Dr. K says "Want to hear a rather mental version of Gershwin's 'Summertime'? Well you are in luck then! Billy Stewart had a few really strong single releases in the mid sixties but unfortunately he and his band died when he drove his Ford Thunderbird off a bridge. Yep, that'll end a promising musical career."

The Warner Brothers - I Won't Be The Same Without Her

Evil Dr. K says "This Gerry Goffin/Carole King song was written about their own deteriorating relationship and ended up on a Monkees LP. However this rather haunting low fi effort by The Warner Brothers is far superior in my view, it sounds genuinely sad and heart broken in contrast to the by-the-numbers pop of the Monkees."

Ruby & The Romantics - When You're Young And In Love

Evil Dr. K says "After the last track I feel like I have to restore the universal love equilibrium. Ruby & The Romantics first single went to No.1 but follow ups, including this Van McCoy penned number, charted lower and lower on the chart and the band members ended up in day jobs. The same song would later go on to be a bigger hit when covered by The Marvelettes a couple of years later."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:02 am 
Go Platinum

Been sluggish updating this due to listening to 1967 and other factors. I'll take it up to 25 posts and then and the whole enterprise can then gather cyber dust. I may then come back and do a 67-68-69 thread but I think these years are better known and, if 67 is anything to go by, of much less quality.

Dionne Warwick - You'll Never Get To Heaven If You Break My Heart

Evil Dr. K says "Dionne started singing backing vocals and recording demo versions of songs destined for other artists which prompted songwriter Burt Bacharach to say "Forget the song, get the girl!". And hence a star was born. 'Walk On By' is probably her most famous song but 'Make Way For Dionne Warwick' has a few great ones including this. Besides Warwick obviously brilliant voice the way instruments come and go in the arrangement, always augmenting, never over staying, is fantastic."

The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Evil Dr. K says "Check this out! Moving images! In my vast and now completely obsolete CD collection there is not a single Animals LP yet listening through the years '64, '65', '66 they were one of the most consistently dependable groups of the era. In fact along with the Van Morrison led Them, they are perhaps the two major groups of the period I have most neglected in my aural life."

Peter Walker - White Wind

Evil Dr. K says "Hands up those of you that want to listen to an 8 minute long acoustic guitar raga instrumental? OK, apparently no one but I'm a connoisseur of music not some evil and persuasive sales rep. Take my word for it, it's good, especially these days when we all need to be taken somewhere that's not where we actually are."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

this is a highly enjoyable thread

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop