Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Post subject: MM Food
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:31 am 
The Obner

So, for all the hype and praise that Madvillain got, did anyone even bother listening to this? I liked it a lot more than Madvillain and think at least 2-3 of the tracks are the most i've listened to all year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:07 am 
Go Platinum

Oh god yeah. I'm probly the biggest DOOM fan at this board. Well no, I think it's safe to call me that. Basically have every Doom release, KMD through MM..Food. Including Special Herbs and Special Blends, etc.

Madvillain is my #1 album of the year.
MM..Food is my #34.

Idk, I wish it would've been more along the lines of Doomsday. That's just me. Some of the filler is just too long.

Some of the tracks are incredibly strong though, as you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:34 am 
The Obner

That's odd. I can't really pinpoint why everyone likes Madvillain so much. It's probably my least favorite out of the 4 doom releases i own(Geedorah, VV1, MM Food, + this). I think Madlib is an overrated producer, and that Doom, though not at his best by any stretch, is what made it a good record. I'm one of the few people that doesn't the sound collage thrown in the middle of MM Food I'm guessing, which is odd because I hate pretty much all instrumental hip hop. I like that it's relative to the theme of the record and the beats are sick on pretty much all of them. I have more of a problem with Kon Karne leading back into the straight up stuff more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:20 am 
Go Platinum

this will be my next purchase

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:58 am 
frostingspoon

After one listen, I think Mm... Food is pretty good (better than VV1 but not quite up with KG). Madvillain is my number 2 of '04. Of the Madlib I've heard (which is littile) I like a lot, and that may be where the difference lies here. Could it be a jazz thing, Mark? I know you're not much of a fan and said producer and myself enjoy the stuff.

Profile WWWYIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:44 pm 
Go Platinum

Yeah, Madlib is like my favorite musical visionary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:49 pm 
The Obner

I have no problem with jazz music at all. I think relating Madlib to jazz music is a silly thing to do. It seems in hip hop that often producers get credit for being something just when they even hint at being that. I understand that Madlib has done numerous projects that are very much involved in jazz and whatnot, though I have not heard them. But I find calling his beats overtly jazzy is just as much of an overstatement as calling 9th Wonder's beats soulful just because he uses some old samples. But then again, he's not the son of a soul musician, so he doesn't have the pedegree going for him. His beats on Madvillain are often just boring, though there are a few really decent ones. With Madlib, I just think that when he misses, he misses noticably and badly, and honestly, I find myself disliking his tracks the most if he's doing a guest spot or whatever. I skip "One Beer" usually on MM Food, and his track on the Diverse album is just plain awful. With that said, I don't think he's bad by any stretch, every producer has his hits and misses, but often I hear him being called the best by far or whatnot and I just think that he's not particularly anything special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm 
Go Platinum

Madlib is definitely jazzy.

His dad was Otis Jackson. All his samples are pretty much jazz numbers. All his mixtapes are ridiculously rare jazz. He plays jazz. He has Yesterday's New Quintet...he did Shades Of Blue. I'd say Madlib is more jazz than hip hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:13 pm 
Go Platinum

I got MM Food over the weekend and listened it to the first time today in the car. After my first listen, I think its a little too kitschy with the collages. I get that there is kind of a storyline (or is there?), but I'd rather hear more songs along the lines of "Rapp Snitch Knishes." That track is by far my favorite so far.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:16 pm 
Go Platinum

It's not much of a storyline I don't think. Moreso...just about food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:36 am 
The Obner

contradiction Wrote:

His dad was Otis Jackson. All his samples are pretty much jazz numbers. All his mixtapes are ridiculously rare jazz. He plays jazz. He has Yesterday's New Quintet...he did Shades Of Blue. I'd say Madlib is more jazz than hip hop.

Well then for a jazz artist, he's really simplistic and not very notable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:03 am 
Rape Gaze

i like mm food better than madvillainy and i'd even go so far as to say i like mf doom's beats and such more than madlib's. hoecakes and deep fried frenz are pretty incredible.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:43 am 
Go Platinum

Quiche Wrote:
contradiction Wrote:

Well then for a jazz artist, he's really simplistic and not very notable.

Word. I definitely understand where you're coming from. He does some elevator type jazz stuff, but he also does some really weird unheard of fusion-esque stuff that I think is fantastic. Some of it is so erratic and exciting to me. I guess it's similar to how some people really love Wolf Eyes or other noise bands like that. I find solace in most of Madlib's work, from just about every one of his aliases.

Post subject: DOOM IS THE GREATEST!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:05 pm 
Garage Band

DOOM is in my opinion, the best hip hop producer out there today.
MMM Food is great (not as good as Madvillain, though. It's a lttle hard to top yourself when you have Madlib as your tagteam partner).

I just picked him Special Herbs (I thnk vol 8). Very cool pick up for thoes who are into insturmental hip hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:43 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

If any one of you fuckers has even heard "peach Fuzz" I'll show a picture of my balloon knot on the board.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:10 am 
The Obner

Senator LooGAR Wrote:
If any one of you fuckers has even heard "peach Fuzz" I'll show a picture of my balloon knot on the board.

One of the few KMD songs I've heard in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:54 pm 
frostingspoon

Madvillian > Viktor Vaughn I > King Geedorah > MM Food > Opeartion Doomsday > VV2: Venomous Villian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:55 pm 
The Obner

ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:35 pm 
Rape Gaze

Sen. L'il Jon(g) LooGAR Wrote:

ooh, you're old school.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:43 pm 
frostingspoon

if you haven't heard the special blends series those are worthwhile, for the most part, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:43 am 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

shiv Wrote:
Sen. L'il Jon(g) LooGAR Wrote:

ooh, you're old school.

Pretty much. KMD gets the gasface.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:07 am 
Go Platinum

I got Gas Face on cassette, doggggggggg.

But for real. I'm young, white, and even I rock KMD.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop