Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Post subject: Aimarr, that Saigon track
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:35 am 
Forever moderating your hearts

:rawk:
fuck yeah

dled offa ur blog a while back

shit is fucking good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:36 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

just blaaaaaaaaaaze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

its funny when kanye fell off. this guy never did

and never will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:33 am 
frostingspoon

just blaze never thought he was a rapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:57 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

I AM WHAT THE FUCK IS LYRICISM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:58 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

jewels santana Wrote:

its so much more than that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:36 pm 
frostingspoon

Aimarr Wrote:
jewels santana Wrote:

just blaze was better from the get go too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 pm 

whens this album out?

or is it already?

Last edited by splates on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 pm 

is this the first entire album JB is producing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:55 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

splates Wrote:
is this the first entire album JB is producing?

yeah

Quote:
A few years ago, Just Blaze's name was inescapable on the radio. Over the past year or so, though, he's kept a lower profile, contributing tracks to major albums from Kanye and the Game but also working with personal favorites like West Coast indie rapper MED and Wu-Tang Clan member Ghostface Killah. He's also set up Fort Knocks, a bou- tique label under Atlantic Records, where later this year he'll release the debut album by rising New York mixtape star Saigon. "This is the first time the pressure has ever been on me and solely me to deliver a whole product," says Just. "There's a lot of other people involved, but at the end of the day, if his album is wack, it's on me, not anybody else. It's not even on him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

in all the interviews i've read of him he always talks sense, makes me love the beats more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:06 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

Quote:
For his part, Just says that he has no interest in becoming a solo artist. "I could rap," he says. "I could rap right now if I wanted to. I rap probably better than most rappers. . . . But do I want that lifestyle? Do I want that hecticness? No. I got bad asthma. I don't want to be running around onstage for an hour."

Following Just around for an evening, one gets the impression he doesn't have much use for the spotlight, that he'd prefer to spend his time digging through stacks of old records and tinkering with samplers. He certainly doesn't look much like a star: short and doughy, wearing a decade-old Polo windbreaker and sucking on an inhaler every few minutes. At Sound Library, a clerk introduces him to the only other customer in the store, West Coast indie-rap producer Dan "the Automator" Nakamura. Soon, Nakamura tells Just that he's been looking for an SP1200 drum machine. (Just: "I think I know one person who may have one out in Jersey. I could ask him if you want." Nakamura: "Yeah, cool, that's cool. If you ever want to do any bootleg cheap stuff, call me up.") The two then get into a 20-minute discussion about favorite sampling programs. Later, at Baseline Studios, Just will get into a similar conversation with another producer, the frequent Mobb Deep collaborator Alchemist. Just loves this stuff.

He walks out of the Sound Library with hundreds of dollars' worth of old LPs: The Body and Soul of Tom Jones, Lalo Schifrin's soundtrack to Kelly's Heroes, an old Sly and the Family Stone album. "I'll sometimes go into a store and spend two grand," he says, sitting in the back of a car service's black Lincoln Town Car on the way to Baseline Studios. "But if I spent two grand that day and I made one beat that I could sell for 40, 50, 60 grand, you just invested 2,000 and made 50."

The records may be an investment, but it's hard to imagine a producer like Lil Jon or Pharrell Williams dropping big money on the soundtrack of an Italian Charles Bronson movie. Blaze may make hits, but he's also the sort of New York rap classicist who speaks rapturously of taping Mr. Magic's radio show as a child. Born Justin Smith in middle-class Paterson, New Jersey, Blaze was fascinated with music from a young age: "The running family joke is that I DJ'd my first birthday party."

In the years after The Blueprint, the sound of East Coast rap changed completely, absorbing the cascading soul of Blaze and West and moving away from the keyboard-driven club tracks that had previously dominated it. For a while, Blaze was all over the radio. "When I look back, and I had records on the radio back-to-back-to-back, it was because of that Roc-A-Fella movement, which I think fell apart before it should've," he says. Roc-A-Fella split in 2004, when Jay-Z fell out with co-founders Damon Dash and Kareem "Biggs" Burke, who took half the label's roster with them when they left. "To just see it fall apart like that was heartbreaking. When you put all your time into it, I made some money and I got a name out of it, but you don't just do it for the money and the name."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:51 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

jewels santana Wrote:
Aimarr Wrote:
jewels santana Wrote:

just blaze was better from the get go too

i actually think kanye had the edge at the start (revisit lot of his early beats, "guess who's bizzack", knocturnal "muzik", the first beanie sigel album beat etc vs lot of early just blaze stuff like the busta rhymes anarchy beats) but then when both moved unto the soul-based sound, blaze progressively got better and more fierce and varied his shit while kanye gradually got watered down -- i am not saying this process wasn't entirely deliberate either, and i don't believe in 'selling out' and all that shit, guy did what he wanted to do and went pop, fine. but still, doesnt change the fact that there was something irksome about that whole process. and even so, just blaze beats kept getting (and keep getting) only more fucking fierce (ghostface "the champ", that saigon song etc etc) and frankly, thats pretty much the crux of what hiphop is all about, innit? and with kanye west, maybe there will always be that oh-man-what-could-have-been

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:22 am 
Self-Released 7-Inch

anyway, when those sweeping soul strings come in on 'girls girls girls' oh mayn

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop