Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Go to page 1, 2  Next

true story?
yes, this is the true old shit 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
no, this is that crafty new shit 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Top Shelf 8-8-88
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:57 am 
frostingspoon

Any votes? either way I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Quote:
http://coldrockdaspot.blogspot.com/2007/08/hmmmmsomething-just-isnt-right-about.html
01. Fab 5 Freddy - Intro 02. Black Sheep - I'm The One 03. Big Daddy Kane - Like That, Y'all 04. Biz Markie - My Name Is... 05. MC Lyte - Listen Up 06. Grand Puba - Let's Go 07. Smooth B of Nice and Smooth - I Want My Money Back 08. Craig G - Catch A Lyrical Beatdown 09. Chubb Rock - Chubb Rocks The Party 10. Special Ed - This Mic 11. Doug E. Fresh - It Ain't Nothin 12. Jungle Brothers - Back In The Jungle 13. Just Ice - I Run The Streets 14. Melle Mel and Grandmaster Caz - The Battle Is On 15. Master Ace - Revolution's 'Bout To Start

soul-sides.com Wrote:
The short story is that, supposedly, this compilation is made up of recordings lost back in 1988 when Top Shelf Studios in New York were looted. 19 years later and some of the tapes were found and voila.

If this story seems to push the edge of credulity, it's probably because it does (to me at least) sound rather implausible for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that for such a "Holy Grail" set of recordings, what is it doing on a super-limited distribution CD from Japan? Moreover, you'd think someone, at some point, would have shared, "oh yeah, there's all these lost tapes of hip-hop giants missing from '88."

The thing is though - the recordings themselves both lend credence to this back story's validity as well as undermine it because, in some cases, the songs really do sound like they could be vintage but in many cases, they also don't sound anything like what hip-hop in '88 would have been like, especially in the production department.

Post subject: Re: Top Shelf 8-8-88
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:22 pm 
Fluke Breakthrough Single

This guy has no beer Wrote:
they also don't sound anything like what hip-hop in '88 would have been like, especially in the production department.
[/quote]
i'm intrigued by this, but not so much the lost mc lyte skat. hate to be a liberty-taker, but i can't vote your poll until i hear that grand puba love.

Post subject: Re: Top Shelf 8-8-88
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:35 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

Wow, this looks pretty awesome. I'm gonna download this when I get home.

Moxie Wrote:
but not so much the lost mc lyte skat.

if you can't poop on MC Lyte, then you, sir, are not welcome in my house.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:44 pm 
frostingspoon

the lyte track is fire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm 
Rape Gaze

lyte is the best female mc ever.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:17 pm 
Fluke Breakthrough Single

these are better than ratatat remixes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 pm 

shiv Wrote:

you're just saying that because Lauryn Hill paid all those dudes to write her album for her.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 am 
Rape Gaze

Cotton Wrote:
shiv Wrote:

you're just saying that because Lauryn Hill paid all those dudes to write her album for her.

nah, i never liked lauryn hill.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm 
Rape Gaze

the doug e. fresh and jungle brothers songs are great.

grand puba sounds kinda wheezy.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 pm 
frostingspoon

shiv Wrote:

i also love the Dres, Chubb Rock, Biz and Masta Ace songs. I'm a sucker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:32 am 
Rape Gaze

shiv Wrote:

i also love the Dres, Chubb Rock, Biz and Masta Ace songs. I'm a sucker.

yeah i was surprised by the chubb rock song and masta ace always tells a good story. dres song was too short. smooth b song was okay but i don't think a whole solo album of him would go over well, he needs greg nice.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:51 am 

so as far as why it's a fake, would this be perpetrated by the artists themselves, knowing full well that no matter how great a "comeback" album they make, there'd still be marginal interest, while if there was a "lost" tape from their heyday, people would go nuts over it?

discuss.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:40 pm 
Go Platinum

Cotton Wrote:
so as far as why it's a fake, would this be perpetrated by the artists themselves, knowing full well that no matter how great a "comeback" album they make, there'd still be marginal interest, while if there was a "lost" tape from their heyday, people would go nuts over it?

discuss.

yeah, I think you're on the button there cotton.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:25 pm 

I'm so fucking late to this because I forgot I'd put it n my ipod folder because I don't have itunes here, but this is fucking awesome. they should tour on this or something. and the Biz and the special ed joints are ON.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:31 pm 
frostingspoon

yeah, it is hot like fiyah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

I snagged this recently, and it has been getting major spins down at the Ol MGA Offices. Need to get a burn for the truckster, this will sound good on dat Bose.

For the record, I ain't buyin that "lost tapes" shit, and Lyte's early shit was tight (Lyte As A Rock, etc) but man that fucking Roughneck song made me want to kill everything and everyone in the mid nineties (11th grade-ish?)

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:28 pm 
frostingspoon

better song in hindsight: roughneck or gangsta bitch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:43 pm 

The Apache song? That dude sunk faster than Funkdoobiest

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Random memory of 8-8-88: The very very first Cubs night game, tho not official due to being called on account of rain in the early innings. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:16 am 

Sen. Black Oak GARkansas Wrote:

The Apache song? That dude sunk faster than Funkdoobiest

I need answers, crack

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:22 am 
Rape Gaze

funkdoobiest at least has a wikipedia page.

and bow wow wow is an awesome song.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:54 am 
frostingspoon

I think that Apache's "Gangsta Bitch" would be my pick. but I did like some funkdoobiest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:10 pm 

This guy may have beer Wrote:
I think that Apache's "Gangsta Bitch" would be my pick. but I did like some funkdoobiest.

Problem is, it's like choosing between getting your head chopped off, or prison sex: neither option is very appealing

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:56 pm 

Problem is, it's like choosing between getting your head chopped off, or prison sex: neither option is very appealing

what are you talking about? Funkdoobiest stole the show at the Soul Assassins tour circa 1995!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:28 pm 

Cotton Wrote:

what are you talking about? Funkdoobiest stole the show at the Soul Assassins tour circa 1995!

Gangsta Bitch v. Ruffneck was the original question.

Also, please don't spend you time defending Funkdoobiest, its unbecoming.

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Go to page 1, 2  Next