Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Post subject: What's left after bling, boasts and odd beats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:41 pm 
Forever moderating your hearts

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/16/arts/music/16sage.html

nytimes Wrote:
MUSIC REVIEW | SAGE FRANCIS
What's Left After Bling, Boasts and Odd Beats
By KELEFA SANNEH

Published: February 16, 2005

Why is it so hard to be an underground hip-hop hero? Perhaps because the mainstream hip-hop heroes have already claimed so much of the best turf for themselves.

"I like 99 rappers, but Jay-Z ain't one," Sage Francis declared at the Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday night. And to prove it, he steered clear of all things Jay-Z-ish. That meant no slick outfits (the rapper and his band all wore black jumpsuits), no jewelry, no high-life boasts or low-life threats. But it also meant no impossibly smooth stanzas filled with hidden jokes and counterrhythms; no mesmerizing stories or irresistible refrains; no state-of-the-art beats or propulsive club tracks.

What was left? Lots of bitter sarcasm, for starters. Mr. Francis, a white rapper, has built his career on a foundation of rage and disillusionment: when he said, "This song is about how awesome guns are," listeners knew he meant the opposite; when he began the show with a verse that started, "I used to think that rappers had it figured out," everyone knew that he was about to explain how wrong he'd been.

Mr. Francis has spent the past few years amassing a cult of fans who prefer the overwrought to the overproduced. He delivers his heavy-handed barrages with the single-minded fury of a punk rock singer, which might be one reason that his new album, "A Healthy Distrust," was released by the punk label Epitaph. (To get a taste of the fractious, obsessive world of Sage Francis fans, visit the energetic Internet forum, inhalerproductions.com/forum/index.php, that he calls home.

The album has lots of densely written rhymes and even a tune or two (the indie-rock singer Will Oldham contributes a chorus), but it's still no fun to listen to: there are some clever couplets ("In a world where the girls got retro tattoos/ All I've got is a gut and Velcro black shoes"), but his harangues don't give them room to breathe.

At Bowery Ballroom, Mr. Francis's backup rappers (two women, one man) sometimes added some playful energy by pairing off, boy-against-girl, trading gruff lines for sing-song ones. But the most ambitious new songs sounded even worse live. A drawn-out version of "Sun Vs Moon" only highlighted the ill-considered lyrics: "God's not a woman/ He's a big white guy in the sky/ And the deserts are reflections of his eyes." (And he wonders why some rappers stick with crime and clubs?)

This was a night overrun with words, so perhaps it's no surprise that the highlight was all words: an a cappella version of "Slow Down Gandhi," his bitter but ambivalent protest poem. Whispering and shouting and singing and talking, Mr. Francis lambasted both warmongers and pacifists, getting closer and closer to his perverse goal: he's a rapper who dreams of being a lecturer.

I don't mind either rapper personally, but the writer here sounds like Loogar with his anti underground hiphop stance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:37 pm 
Garage Band

but sage francis blows. for the most part.

i mean forget everything else, have you heard jay freestyle. (i say this not to point out how awesome this "jay-z" character is, but you know, after you deconstruct everything away (the bling, the boasts, odd beats, the gloss) even in highly mainstream hiphop, there's still all this talent. underground fans who don't see it are just fucking stupid. have low i.q. or on some superior ideology rpzntn that make em too blind to see it.

that said, vice versa too (with strictly mainstream hiphop fans)* etc

*altho in a historical and puritan sense i guess one could say most of the underground betrays the basics that hiphop had formed itself around and have sort to represent: direct, confrontational, immediate, empowering, strong (NOT weak), highly flowin', fun etc. sure… its boring, grainy old backpacker beats (in general) can be a nice change from over-produced retardedness, but after awhile it tends gets ollllld (at least personally for me, because they lack the immediacy or the energy). (i guess this sort of draws parallels with say rocknroll --> indie rock transition... maybe.)

of cuz, they are many exceptions, in both camps, and that’s what makes it interesting i guess. so excuse the generalizations.

fuck the cops

Last edited by gong-li on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:14 pm 
frostingspoon

if someone came out of the underground who could flow as well as Big L, i'd listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:02 am 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

From the beginning, rap was about bling, boasts and odd beats, asshats.

Seriously when KRS and Shan were battling, what'd they talk about? How tight they were and how bunk the other dude was. What did they rap for? "The Whole Yard" a fucking grand, $1000.

If you don't think Jay can flow, as in putting new shit in new ways, you don't like or listen to rap.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:13 am 
Forever moderating your hearts

Sen. L'il Jon(g) LooGAR Wrote:

Oh i agree, although it doesn't really mean that it always has to be about that. I'm not a huge fan of either rapper actually, i just posted the artice for the perusal of obners.

Also, who you callin an asshat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:15 am 
Rape Gaze

Sage Francis should do another Non-Prophets album. Damage is a great song.

I prefer underground hip hop. I'm really not into all the lame singing and shitty-ass skits on some commercial stuff. If you want to put a singer on your album, hire TJ Swan, I'm sure he needs the work.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:31 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

splates Wrote:
Sen. L'il Jon(g) LooGAR Wrote:

Oh i agree, although it doesn't really mean that it always has to be about that. I'm not a huge fan of either rapper actually, i just posted the artice for the perusal of obners.

Also, who you callin an asshat?

No, it was an interesting read, I was mainly calling Kelefa Sanneh an asshat, I just added an S...I have different rap tastes than most on this board. I like my rap GHEE--TOO! Bitches, blunts, 40z and gunz. With some political stuff like early Cube thrown in for good measure.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:50 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

TJ Swan does need the work! he's shoveling my driveway as i type this.

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop