Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop

Post subject: Pharcyde
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:41 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

I think Bizarre Ride II has to be consider top 20 of the 1990s, if not top 10. Discuss.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:59 pm 
British Press Hype

Top 10...Maybe..90s had some good cds...Top 20..No doubt...It's a damn fun cd...Much better than Labcabin...The group was tight on Bizarre Ride...Too bad they slowly fell apart after that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:16 pm 
frostingspoon

love that first album. It's a great fun sunny afternoon with beers kinda album.
i also lump the Brand New Heavies - Heavy Rhyme Experience in the happy sunny afternoon catagory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

jewels santana Wrote:
love that first album. It's a great fun sunny afternoon with beers kinda album.
i also lump the Brand New Heavies - Heavy Rhyme Experience in the happy sunny afternoon catagory.

agreed. At one time I'd throw that Black Sheep album in there, too.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:53 pm 

I think the first one was a beautiful mistake. It was just them gettin high as fuck and having fun in the studio. The pressure for follow up was pretty big, they waited too long, and their fun sound wasn't there. It's a shame, cos the first one still gets a party fucking rocking.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:12 pm 
frostingspoon

Senator Reverend LooGAR Wrote:
I think the first one was a beautiful mistake. It was just them gettin high as fuck and having fun in the studio. The pressure for follow up was pretty big, they waited too long, and their fun sound wasn't there. It's a shame, cos the first one still gets a party fucking rocking.

exactly.
they lucked out with a great producer who captured an amazing moment in time.

i miss when a group would do a whole album with one producer.

i like a few songs off the 2nd one (runnin is amazing) but it's seems like they are trying too hard to be "grown up" and it ends up being kinda boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:19 pm 

jewels santana Wrote:
Senator Reverend LooGAR Wrote:

exactly.
they lucked out with a great producer who captured an amazing moment in time.

i miss when a group would do a whole album with one producer.

i like a few songs off the 2nd one (runnin is amazing) but it's seems like they are trying too hard to be "grown up" and it ends up being kinda boring.

I agree with all of this. Especially the one producer thing. Like when The Bomb Squad put out Amerikkka's Most Wanted with Cube. Goddamn that shit is ill.

I understand that some producers have a signature sound, and it can wear thin after a while....so why don't the artists make the fucker's branch out.

It's like Rae says "I don't want motherfucka's sounding like me, on NO muthafuckin album"

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:33 pm 
frostingspoon

part of the reason Freeways album was so great was because it was so close to being entirely produced by Just Blaze, and all the stinkers weren't.

some people still do this here and there.

The neptunes did all of the Clipse album
Primo (obviously) does all of the Gang Starr albums
Timaland has done a few whole albums.

but i'd like to see more of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:57 am 
Alcoholic National Treasure

you know, i hear so much shit about how bad Freeway's album is and that always shocks me because I think it's pretty tight. Maybe it's just our area.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:07 pm 
frostingspoon

Cotton Wrote:
you know, i hear so much shit about how bad Freeway's album is and that always shocks me because I think it's pretty tight. Maybe it's just our area.

i always assume people had never actually heard it or they loved it.
the production on that album is so awesome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Rap/Hip-hop