Board index : Music Talk : The Mix

Post subject: need mix help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:15 pm 
Go Platinum

Okay, so I'm always making mix cd's for friends and relatives, but very rarely make one for my husband. The reason being-- he's not really into a lot of the music I like, so it's hard for me to find things he *does* like. If I gave y'all a list of the bands I know for a fact he likes, could you suggest some newer/recent bands I can check out? Any input would be helpful!

Ministry (Thieves/Mind is a Terrible... era)
Godflesh
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
most hardcore/punk (older Fugazi, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, DK's, Nausea, old Misfits, older Bad Religion, etc... seems to prefer the older SoCal punk to English punk)
A Perfect Circle
Tool
System of a Down
Concrete Blonde
Peter Murphy/Bauhaus
Delta blues (Son House, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters-- doesn't like any of the newer stuff)
Mozart
Mento (got the Mento Madness cd for Christmas and loved it)
Bob Marley

I did find one band he really liked recently... Death from Above 1979. The man is difficult to buy for sometimes. I usually have to know in advance of something he's really been seeking, however, I'd like to turn him on to some new stuff.

Help me! Please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:35 am 
Forever moderating your hearts

Most of these aren't new but just in case ...
Lightning Bolt
Queens Of The Stone Age
Trail Of Dead
Fantomas
Hot Snakes

Post subject: Re: need mix help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:36 pm 
Go Platinum

Since he likes Pink Floyd/Bob Marley, I think he'd like Easy Star All Stars' Dub Side of the Moon. DSotM done in reggae/dub style. You could do that w/ Led Zep/Marley, too, and get one of Dread Zeppelin's CDs.

How about a Dag Nasty disc- mainly Field Day- that's old school melodic punk. Hard rock? Hmmm. Seems like he likes the atmospheric stuff. How about Porcupine Tree's In Absentia? It's prog-rock, and should fit in w/ the Pink Floyd/Zep/Tool vein. He may like Tantric's first disc, too.

Love & Rockets would be along the lines of Peter Murphy. They have a best-of collection that would be nice. Or Express.

Man, I could go on all day. Maybe you should ask someone in here to make a comp for you to give him. :wink:

I think you'd be better off posting this in the other forum. They'd have a field day with it.

fp

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:46 pm 
frostingspoon

If he never got No For An Answer back in the day, he'd love it. That and D.R.I., like maybe the 4 Of A Kind album. Those are socal punk... but they might be harder to find these days. And I second that emotion for Dread Zeppelin - seen em like 4 times, loved em back in the day. Best albums are 5,000,000 and Un-Led-Ed. Both very listenable, if a bit kitschy.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

Board index : Music Talk : The Mix