Board index : Music Talk : The Mix

Post subject: March 09 Mix
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:43 pm 
Go Platinum

yo, I posted this and tagged a bunch of folks on facebook, and excuse the simplistic ramblings and explanations of what certain bands are about... I know y'all are smart 'n' shit. ;)

So, this mix originally started out as belated Valentine's mix, but considering it's March 1 already, I kinda scrapped that idea (although there are bits and pieces in this mix that I would have included). Not until I got through the final tracklisting did I realize that I had about 4 cover songs on here. Whoops. Anyhow, a bit of info on why I chose the songs I did....

01 - Transmission - Joy Division - I recently saw the movie "Control" on dvd, which is biopic of Joy Division, and mainly their ill-fated lead singer Ian Curtis. This song was actually performed by the cast, so it's not the real JD performing here.

02 - 1989 - The Rakes - These guys have a new album coming out, and I'm a big fan of their "post-punk" angular sound. May sound derivative to some, but I really enjoy them.

03 - Paper Planes (DFA Remix) - M.I.A. - I know I've included this song on a mix before, but not the remixed version. I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" a couple of weeks ago, and this version is featured on the soundtrack.

04 - I'm Good I'm Gone - Lykke Li - I think I squealed about Lykke's song "Little Bit" about 3 months ago, so this is just another track off her album, remixed by Metronomy.

05 - The One Thing - INXS - well, an oldie but a goodie. Kinda goes along with the Valentine vibe.

06 - Summer Song - YACHT - Andrew jokes with me that just because it's above 50 degrees outside, it must be summer coming. So anyhow, this song has been around for a year or so, but it's fun. Makes me want to dance in the sun with a drink in hand. YACHT's a Portland band too, btw.

07 - Keep a Secret - The Whitest Boy Alive - Kind of a true band name, as I believe everyone in the band is German excluding the lead singer who is Norwegian (Erlend Oye of Kings of Convenience fame for those who care). It's just an upbeat little number.

08 - Little Lady - General Elektriks - I just downloaded this album today, and it's fun, forward and FUNKY. Tell me you aren't bobbing your head when you listen to this song. We all got a little bit of the soul in us!

09 - Secretly - The William Blakes - I think these guys are from Denmark. Another one I just recently downloaded. They've got some catchy tracks on their album, but this one hooked me immediately. It sounds silly, but there is some really great music coming out of Scandinavia these days.

10 - Pow Wow! - Tigerlily - Another unknown I stumbled upon, and I just liked the vibe of this one. It also sounds like something you'd listen to in the summertime too. (I'm hoping if I put enough of a summer vibe out there, summer will come sooner, haha)

11 - Around the Bend - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Another band from Denmark (I swear, I'm not doing this on purpose). Yet more of that upbeat summer "driving with the top down" vibe.

12 - How Your Heart is Wired - Bell X1 - ok, not Scandinavia, but Irish! These guys have been around a while, and I've taken a liking to this song. I believe I linked to them earlier on my profile at some point.

13 - Cello Song - The Books and Jose Gonzalez - This is off the "Dark is the Night" compilation, and I find it just beautiful and ethereal.

14 - 3 Cool Cats - Ry Cooder - this is off an older album of Ry's (Chavez Ravine), but it's a fun one. I was listening to it at Andrew's, and he really liked it too. Something to drink a margarita to.

15 - Can't Hardly Wait - Justin Townes Earle - a Replacements cover done by Steve Earle's son. And a great cover at that.

16 - Fell - Let's Active - this definitely would have gone on the Valentine mix. This song came out in 86 I believe, and I've never forgotten how great it is, both in message and instrumentation.

17 - In Between Days - Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly - an adequate cover of the Cure song.

18 - At Forest Edge - Vetiver - ok, can you tell I'm trying to wind it down now? This song lingers like a muggy haze over a weeping willow on a hot Louisiana night.

19 - Save a Prayer - MoR - another Scandinavian band, doing a cover of the Duran Duran song. I may have put this on a previous mix, but whatevs.

20 - Play Your Part - Duncan Sheik - Duncan has recently put out an album for his latest stage production called "Whisper House." I'm a sucker for his hooks and melodies, and this works for me.

21 - La Costa Blanca - Josh Rouse - an older tune, and I may have even put this on a previous mix at some point. It's an instrumental, but goes along with a summer beach vibe. A nice closing point.

The songs are broken up into individual mp3 tracks, but they were mixed to be listened/burned together seamlessly. Anyhow, enjoy.... lemme know what you think!

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/mm6yre7381

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:14 pm 
Go Platinum

That Justin Townes Earle cover was really good when I saw him live. I didn't know it was on a record, just figured he busted out the cover for the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm 
Go Platinum

Thanks Dana. I like that Rakes album a lot so I want to hear the rest.

I tried to find somebody of that sort that I could like that nobody else did - because everybody would adopt his group, and his group would be _it_; someone weird like Captain Beefheart. It's no different now - people trying to outdo ! each other in extremes. There are people who like X, and there are people who say X are wimps; they like Black Flag.

Board index : Music Talk : The Mix