Go Platinum

The second half of an exchange for Ms. Norwood's June mix:

The Chills: February
The Headaches: Power For Passion
The Undertones: Jump Boys
DM3: 1* 2* Devastated
German Art Students: Speed Of Sound
P76: Headed Straight For The Sun
The Cult: Electric Ocean ("Peace" version)
Huevos Rancheros: What A Way To Run A Railroad
The Fleshtones: Way Down South
The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy: Big Saturday
The Bluerunners: I Sho Do
Snips: Mr. Dillinger
Sam and Dave: Wrap It Up
The Higsons: Them Changes
The Yachts: Yachting Types
The Romantics: Devil In Me
Psychic TV: Papal Breakdance
Midnight Oil: Hercules
DMZ: Barracuda
The Close Lobsters: Skyscrapers
The Returnables: Monica
The Brotherhood Of Lizards: Market Day
Peter Case: The End

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:37 pm 
Go Platinum

Yay! I'm looking forward to hearing it!!! Peter Case! The Fleshtones! The Jazz Butcher! Midnight Oil! Such goodness.

Post subject: Re: Somewhat summery
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:50 pm 
Go Platinum

Okay, I now have a chance to review this mix since I've had a few days of nonstop listening. Bill, what a great mix cd! I must admit, a lot of the bands I'd never heard of before, but Bill's got my tastes pegged pretty well.

* - ick
** - meh
*** - okay
**** - now this sounds more like it
***** - Dana will listen to ad nauseum

The Chills: February -- nice start to the cd. I started listening to this in my car, and I just wanted to roll the windows down and scream down the road... unfortunately it was 55 degrees out and I was in traffic on my way to work. ****

The Headaches: Power For Passion - this reminds me of something I would have listened to in highschool, or at the very least, sounds like it could have been featured on the SLC Punk soundtrack. ***

The Undertones: Jump Boys - I LOVE THIS SONG! What a blast from the past hearing Feargal Sharkey of all people. I always crank this one up and sing along. *****

DM3: 1* 2* Devastated - Another one I turn up the volume to. I wonder how I ever missed out on this band, but looks like they released albums during my "dark period"-- after college, depressed in NC, no access to good music. *****

German Art Students: Speed Of Sound - This one started off well enough, but the woman's voice gets on my nerves by the end. **

P76: Headed Straight For The Sun - while this one is a nice little head-bopper, it gets lost in the generic world of power-pop, imho. **

The Cult: Electric Ocean ("Peace" version) - well, hey, I can remember listening to this album in highschool too, and I always loved the Cult. This is a nice version of an otherwise predictable Cult song on the revamped Electric album. ****

Huevos Rancheros: What A Way To Run A Railroad - this one is apparently so good that even my picky husband asked who it was. In my world, if you can impress the punk/hardcore snob, you've done a good job. ****

The Fleshtones: Way Down South - again, this reminds me of highschool in Georgia. Good fun. ***

The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy: Big Saturday - okay, when I first saw this, I thought Jazz Butcher with David J from Bauhaus/Love and Rockets. This is different, but still has that 80s "alternative" sound that I was infatuated with back in highschool. ***

The Bluerunners: I Sho Do - oh my god, this one's a "got your buzz on and dancing like a crazy person in your living room" song. *****

Snips: Mr. Dillinger - I'd never heard of this band before. Not bad, but didn't hook me. **

Sam and Dave: Wrap It Up - Well, of course, this song trumps that shitty version that the Fabulous Thunderbirds did in the 80s. Another good party/dance tune. *****

The Higsons: Them Changes - don't know why, but I'm a sucker for that funk bass. ***

The Yachts: Yachting Types - definitely has a Nick Lowe vibe to it. Not bad. ***

The Romantics: Devil In Me - hmm, never heard this song before. So this is what the new Romantics sounds like... not bad! I wouldn't mind hearing more! ***

Psychic TV: Papal Breakdance - oh yeah, this sounds like Dana dance material circa 1986. ***

Midnight Oil: Hercules - good God, Peter Garrett sounds like a teenager in this song. Hadn't heard it before, but it rocks. ***

(can you tell I listen mostly to the first half of this cd over and over again?)

DMZ: Barracuda - when I first heard this, I thought it was a young Iggy Pop. I like the punk snobbiness of it. ****

The Close Lobsters: Skyscrapers - this reminds me a bit of Lloyd Cole, which is not a bad thing. Damn, I miss bands like this. ***

The Returnables: Monica - don't know why, but this reminded me a bit of Ted Leo's sound, but not quite as enticing. **

The Brotherhood Of Lizards: Market Day - hadn't heard of these guys, but I like the retro-60's sound. ****

Peter Case: The End - You know, I never listened to a lot of Peter Case's solo stuff after Plimsouls. Appropriately named song for the final song on the cd, and beautiful for dropping on the couch after your binge drinking evening. ***

Overall, I would rate this cd ****. Well done, Bill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:23 pm 
Go Platinum

I'm glad you like it!

The German Art Students is Rudolphonzo's band. This is from their new disc.

The Returnables is a local Chicago band. One of the founding members was one of the three people killed in the crash last week mentioned in the Silkworm thread.

The Brotherhood Of Lizards is basically Martin Newell, of Cleaners From Venus fame. You've probably seen Poptodd extolling his virtues. He's a dynamite songwriter.

The Chills song is from a new record they released late last year, and it's one of my better recent pick-ups. They're from New Zealand, hence the February-summer tie-in ;)

The Midnight Oil song is one of their mid-80's eps, which I believe pre-dates 10 - 1 and Red Sails in the sunset. This particular song is also the highlight of the live album they put out in '91 or so.

The Peter Case tune is on the Alejandro Escoveda tribute "Por Vida".

David J is playing bass on "Big Saturday". The remarkable thing about this JBC line-up was their spectrum. They could do quieter stuff or they could kick up a racket.

Thanks for the review!

Post subject: Re: Somewhat summery
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:36 pm 
frostingspoon

dnorwood Wrote:
DM3: 1* 2* Devastated - Another one I turn up the volume to. I wonder how I ever missed out on this band, but looks like they released albums during my "dark period"-- after college, depressed in NC, no access to good music. *****

If you like DM3 also check out Dom Mariani's previous band the Stems and his new band the Stoneage Hearts. S'all good.

Billz mixes rool.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:23 am 
Bedroom Demos

i have no idea who any of those people are

Board index : Music Talk : The Mix