Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding A Mosaic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:19 pm 
frostingspoon

Bedouin Soundclash Sounding A Mosaic

Kingston, Jamaica? No, mon, that'd be Kingston Ontario. As in Canada. As in wind chill, blizzards, and block heaters. And trust me, when Toots Hibbert sang about a "Funky Kingston" there was nobody getting the two towns mixed up. Yet as unlikely as it may seem - especially given the fact that Bedouin Soundclash played among all the trendy screamo bands on this summer's Warped tour - these Canuck kids do the reggae like they stepped straight outta Trenchtown.

Sounding A Mosaic was produced by Bad Brains bassist Darryl Jennifer, and he does an ace job of maintaining that sense of lazy space featured in all great reggae. Everything bobs, slinks, and hops with an unhurried, heavy-lidded pace, perfect for power-lounging on a tropical beach (or, given their citizenship, maybe a particularly muggy kitchen). singer Jay Malinowski's voice resembles Bob Marley, but the band lays down grooves more similar to the reggae-lite of Jimmy Cliff, with a few overtones of dub and an appropriately distant element of Two-Tone ska. For extra cred, they do a version of the Maytones' "Money Worries" that features Vernon Maytone himself on vocals. Not that they needed the help, as the lead-off single "When The Night Feels My Song" is so feel-good melodic that Johnny Nash probably would've eaten his own head just to have it as a followup to "I Can See Clearly Now."

So it's Funky Kingstons then. As in two of 'em. As in who'da thunk? I guess it was inevitable that there'd be some pleasant trickle-down effect of rampant globalization.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding A Mosaic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:04 am 
Go Platinum

Radcliffe Wrote:
Kingston, Jamaica? No, mon,

Stop that, right now!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:24 pm 
frostingspoon

Awright den, bredda.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding A Mosaic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:07 pm 
High School Poet

Radcliffe Wrote:
Bedouin Soundclash Sounding A Mosaic

Kingston, Jamaica? No, mon, that'd be Kingston Ontario. As in Canada. As in wind chill, blizzards, and block heaters. And trust me, when Toots Hibbert sang about a "Funky Kingston" there was nobody getting the two towns mixed up. Yet as unlikely as it may seem - especially given the fact that Bedouin Soundclash played among all the trendy screamo bands on this summer's Warped tour - these Canuck kids do the reggae like they stepped straight outta Trenchtown.

Sounding A Mosaic was produced by Bad Brains bassist Darryl Jennifer, and he does an ace job of maintaining that sense of lazy space featured in all great reggae. Everything bobs, slinks, and hops with an unhurried, heavy-lidded pace, perfect for power-lounging on a tropical beach (or, given their citizenship, maybe a particularly muggy kitchen). singer Jay Malinowski's voice resembles Bob Marley, but the band lays down grooves more similar to the reggae-lite of Jimmy Cliff, with a few overtones of dub and an appropriately distant element of Two-Tone ska. For extra cred, they do a version of the Maytones' "Money Worries" that features Vernon Maytone himself on vocals. Not that they needed the help, as the lead-off single "When The Night Feels My Song" is so feel-good melodic that Johnny Nash probably would've eaten his own head just to have it as a followup to "I Can See Clearly Now."

So it's Funky Kingstons then. As in two of 'em. As in who'da thunk? I guess it was inevitable that there'd be some pleasant trickle-down effect of rampant globalization.

Great review, Radcliffe!!

I got to get my ears into some of this.

Cheers,

audiobill

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews