Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: K/Ranks 2006 Jenny Lewis 'Rabbit Fur Coat'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:39 pm 
Go Platinum

UPDATE 4 Jan 28th 2006

New On The Chart

With the release of 'Rabbit Fur Coat' we see Rilo Kiley vocalist Jenny Lewis issue an often highly personal debut solo album which tackles her confused, and frequently conflicting views on, among other things, religion and parenthood.

Opening acapella ‘Run Devil Run’ segues nicely into ‘Big Guns’ perhaps the most immediately ear catching track on the album and one which would sit happily on a Neko Case LP. ‘Rise Up With Fists!!’ exudes more of a languid swagger than one might expect from its angry sounding title, before ‘Happy’, a hushed ballad, that, while hardly spectacular drifts by with a delicate charm.

‘The Charging Sky’, is a loping country tune full of befuddled religious indecision (“And it’s not that I believe in your almight, But I might as well for insurance or bail”.) while washed out glissandos of synth add an ephemeral, floaty air to ‘Melt Your Heart’. The title track, composed simply of a plucked acoustic guitar and vocals, tells the slightly surreal yet poignant tale of an estranged mother, one of a number of mentions of the artists parents.

The Travelling Wilburys ‘Handle With Care’ is covered in the style of the Byrds but, alas, with the dubious assistance of Bright Eyes Conor Oberst it registers as the albums sole low point.

Perhaps without coincidence the albums most striking number ‘Born Secular’ follows closely behind the botched cover. Building up from Lewis’ strong vocals and a faint, almost asthmatic, beat box to eventually incorporate powerful, rubbery, Slanted & Enchanted style drumming and the Watson Twins excellent harmonised backing vocals (particularly prominent on this track but consistently a strong point across the entire album) it is a track which is conspicuous in it’s quality.

The strong last quarter of the album is maintained with ‘It Wasn’t Me’, a soft, twinkling ballad, simultaneously wearied and uplifting which perhaps produces some sort of conclusion to Lewis’ thematic, album wide dilemma (“I’ve gone and quit, my worshipping, Of the false Gods and golden sins”) and a distant sounding reprise of ‘Happy’ attended only by wood block percussion.

A strong solo debut from Lewis then, and while not quite Album of the Year material, surely one that provides a high standard for the rest of the years releases to aim at.

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twin’s ‘Rabbit Fur Coat’ scores 7.25 and enters Konstantiranks at no.1

RELATED LINKS

Find out more about Jenny Lewis here
>>> http://www.rilokiley.com/

KONSTANTIRANKS 2006 (CURRENT STANDINGS)

1. jenny lewis and the watson twins - RABBIT FUR COAT 7.25
2. the strokes - FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF EARTH 7.07
3. gossip - STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL 6.80
4. the high dials - WAR OF THE WAKENING PHANTOMS 6.71

tbr - cat power - THE GREATEST
tbr - isobel campbell & mark lanegan - THE BALLAD OF THE BROKEN SEA
tbr - clap your hands and say yeah - CLAP YOUR HANDS AND SAY YEAH
tbr - holly throsby - ON NIGHT

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: K/Ranks 2006 Jenny Lewis 'Rabbit Fur Coat'
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 pm 
Go Platinum

konstantinl Wrote:
KONSTANTIRANKS 2006 (CURRENT STANDINGS)

1. jenny lewis and the watson twins - RABBIT FUR COAT 7.25

My number one of the year.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:06 am 
Go Platinum

It's my number 5 of the year now.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:05 pm 
Go Platinum

my #3 so far. underestimated.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:06 am 
Go Platinum

Man, I can't believe I wrote more than a paragraph once!

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews