Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: PattyRanks: Asobi Seksu - Asobi Seksu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:28 am 
Go Platinum

So I went into this one cold, not having heard the current release that has everyone buzzing. I must say I was relatively impressed. I didnt really know what to expect...not the 5,6,7,8's but not the delgados either (couldnt think of any ,multi-ethnic duos). Here with the debut we get some interesting Japanese vocals, notably in Tracks 1 (I'm Happy But You Don't Like Me) and 3 (Umi De No Jisatsu) interspersed with Yuki showing off her range with some English lyrics and James Hanna's nondescript typical 'indie' singing as on 'Let Them Wait'. The hit off this record was apparently Track 4, 'Walk On The Moon' and its rather pedestrian, nothing too spectacular. The best track, I think, is the 7+ minute 'Its Too Late' which teases us for about 4-5 minutes of quiet vocals and subdued instrumentation before building to a raucous climax.

I can see why this record received positive reviews when it was released, and I look forward to seeing how the follow-up compares. The musicianship is solid and the combination of talents diverse enough to make for some interesting music.

First listen rating: 75

Obner(s) I think would like this: OPA!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews