Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: James Yorkston & The Athletes 'Just Beyond The River'
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:21 am 
Go Platinum

James Yorkston & The Athletes
Just Beyond The River

Domino WIGCD142
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps best known for 2002’s lovely ‘St. Patrick’s Day’ single, the Edinburgh based folkie and Beta Band associate has had a busy year, first with his involvement in the excellent ‘Fence Reunited’ project and now an album proper ‘Just Beyond The River’ on the Domino label. As you would expect Scottish and Irish folk music form the major influences on Yorkston’s sound. The highlight of the album is undoubtably the beautiful ‘Hermitage’ were plucked mandolin and swelling accordion accompany hushed accoustic guitar. ‘Shipwreckers’ and ‘Hotel’ too, have quality stamped all over them, but if the album has a fault it is that, at 50 minutes long, it doesn’t have enough variety of song writing to truly capture the listeners interest. The majority of the tracks follow the same, often stripped down and rhythmless, formula. Fans of Celtic music or the ‘new folk’ genre will find much to love here, but for the less committed it is an album that - just - falls short of being essential.

Darrin Frew

Konstantinmark - 6.54

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:42 pm 
frostingspoon

nice darrin! i just got this, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. i really liked moving up country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:16 am 
Go Platinum

I've started writing a little 150 word review for all the CD's I buy, but I was hoping to post them somewhere on the internet were no one could actually read them.

There are two reason's for this. (1), I find music the most horrendously difficult subject to write about and (2), I suffer from acute embaressment at the prospect of anything I write being read by others.

I'm using this Reviews section as a sort of tentative therapy!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:45 am 
frostingspoon

oh, well don't worry then...i didn't really read your review. i just looked at the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:42 am 
Cutler Apologist

This was a good, concise review Darrin...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews