Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: The 2008 Obner Mix
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 am 
TEH MACHINE

1. Pick Up - ON (2000) <flying rabbit>
2. Moodswings Overture - Moodswings (1992) <timmyjoe>
3. Scarlet - Dead River Drag (1998) <timis>
4. Riding the Nuclear Tiger - Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel (2001) <sketch>
5. Peach Lines - The Blind Shake (2007) <catswilleatyou>
6. Trouser Minnow - Rapeman (1989) <drinky>
7. Electric Chair - Sleepy John Estes (1964) <opa>
8. Sleeping On The Airplane - Red Wedding (1982) <cybin>
9. The Moon I Dream Of - Chrisopher Blue (2007) <cotton>
10. Bam Bam - Toots & The Maytals (1982) <seafoam>
11. She's A Diamond - Opal (1987) <radcliffe>
12. Not Too Soon - Throwing Muses (1991) <grape ripple>
13. Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night (1970) <dumpjack>
14. Grendel - Sunny Day Real Estate (1994) <hegel>
15. Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean (1981) <estone>
16. Ballad of the Fogbound Pinhead - Thee Headcoats (1992) <no guru>
17. Another One Goes By - Mazarin (2005) <wenchlette>
18. Everything You've Done Wrong - Sloan (1996) <fuckyoudave>
19. Mouthful Of Cavities - Blind Melon (1995) <twilight kid>
20. Ceres Walk - The Billy Nayer Show (2002) <capnsquirrgle>
21. Electrify Me - The Plugz (1979) <nobody>
22. Chinese Bakery - The Auteurs (1994) <poptodd>
23. She Walks On Roses - Vigilantes Of Love (2000) <kit>
24. Wide Open Road - Triffids (1986) <mickthestripper>
25. Could Have Been - Lee Fields (2004) <shiv>
26. Shut Up and Get On The Plane (live) - Drive-By Truckers (2007) <looGAR>
27. Bra - Cyamide (197?) <dalen>
28. Anthem For The Already Defeated - Rock Plaza Central (2007) <no guru>

Post subject: Re: The 2008 Obner Mix
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm 
TEH MACHINE

My thoughts on the great mix experiment of 2008.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I actually didn't hate this. It's not really my type of music, but I let it play and found it reminding me of something else. I might actually play this again.

The worst part of this is that it went on for nearly 6 min. I guess I could see having this on at a yuppie dinner party.

I realize that years the songs were released are added, but even without that information, the second I heard this song I thought "mid to late 90s". There just something about that music that got preternaturally dated. This isn't a bad song, but it lost points for me because it sounded like Moist. Also guitar pop like this needs to end after roughly 3.30. Again, pushing 6 min is asking a lot without delivering a massively satisfying song, unless of course it's personally intertwined with memories and the sense of self. In which case, almost any song can take on extraordinary significance.

Again, not normally something I'd listen to but really enjoyed. I suppose this is the whole point. For some reason I find this very pleasing and imagine I'm in a grainy 70s movie getting ready for work while yelllow credits drift in and out of my upper and lower field of view.

I kind of like the energy of this song. Nothing I'd really write home about, but it's got its moments.

I wanted to hate this if only because Drinky is diametrically opposed to my own tastes in almost every way. Alas he picked an Albini type song, so I ended up digging this. It's dumb, loud and great.

It's hard not to enjoy something like this. Slow blues about jail.

Yep, this is an 80s song all right. It's okay, I don't really have any strong feelings about it.

This is pretty fucking depressing, but I like it nevertheless.

So this is what folks were bitching about? This innocuous reggae track? I'm a reggae novice, but if I heard this I wouldn't feel a strong need to hear more, but I'd still be open about hearing more. That doesn't make much sense, but then again, neither do a lot of things.

This is pretty great, but again, since Radcliffe and I tend to have a bit of overlap in terms of what we listen to, I'm not surprised I like it. I like the floaty background vocals a lot. "She will leave you high and dry, it's all right, I don't mind...it's all right"

I don't know why I haven' t listened to Throwing Muses more. I always like them whenever I hear their songs.

It's just so damn good. I always want to get fucked up when I hear this song. This is the craziest party that could ever be, don't turn on the lights 'cause I don't wanna see...

I don't think I've ever heard this band, although I've heard a lot about them. This wasn't what I imagined they'd sound like at all. I was imagining higher octane guitar based pop, maybe they do sound like that outside of this track, I don't know. I do like the floating whispery sounds in the background. Good song choice, Joe. I'll want to check them out further.

15. Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean (1981) <estone>

This really reminds of something modern, but at the same time is totally indebted to VU. The similarity to the latter band makes me want to check out more. Good song choice here, as well. Thanks J.

16. Ballad of the Fogbound Pinhead - Thee Headcoats (1992) <no guru>

This reminds me, I downloaded Tod Browning's Freaks last week and then found out the whole thing is on GoogleVideo. How's about that? Not a bad song, but the organ kind of got to me after awhile.

17. Another One Goes By - Mazarin (2005) <wenchlette>

Never heard of Mazarin and found myself somewhat curious to hear more. This was pretty good pop, and what makes it even better? It clocks in just under 3.30.

18. Everything You've Done Wrong - Sloan (1996) <fuckyoudave>

I put Sloan up there with my favourite Canadian bands, so being objective is a bit tough. It's not my personal choice for a Sloan song, but I can't really knock it.

19. Mouthful Of Cavities - Blind Melon (1995) <twilight kid>

I'm in the group that has always liked Blind Melon. I honestly never stopped listening to the debut album. Those songs are summer staples on my own mixes. I never really loved Soup as much, because it was a 'darker' album, but this is a great tune. I liked the female accompaniment to the lead vocals.

20. Ceres Walk - The Billy Nayer Show (2002) <capnsquirrgle>

I don't really have an opinion about this one way or another. It's 2 min of music that didn't impact me positively or negatively.

21. Electrify Me - The Plugz (1979) <nobody>

This is okay, but didn't go anywhere. Again, it's hard to express an opinion about a song where it doesn't hook you.

22. Chinese Bakery - The Auteurs (1994) <poptodd>

This is all right, but the goddamn mix is starting to drag right now. At least this is short.

23. She Walks On Roses - Vigilantes Of Love (2000) <kit>

Here we go, something with some energy. I liked this song a lot. It reminded me of something Canadian, like Blue Rodeo.

24. Wide Open Road - Triffids (1986) <mickthestripper>

I enjoyed the sound of this song, although I think I now understand where stellastarr* came from.

25. Could Have Been - Lee Fields (2004) <shiv>

I can't imagine wanting to hear this song again. That's not to say I didn't like it, but I think music like this is fills a specific space in the soul, and if it's already occupied then there's just no room.

26. Shut Up and Get On The Plane (live) - Drive-By Truckers (2007) <looGAR>

This probably is the best song on the mix. Next to mine, of course.

27. Bra - Cyamide (197?) <dalen>

I'll be honest and say I wasn't expecting a song like this from Dalen. It's pretty fucking great and frankly, the preferred way to end the mix....

28. Anthem For The Already Defeated - Rock Plaza Central (2007) <no guru>

...because I really, really hated this song.

-------------------------------------------------------

Not surprisingly, it's not really a very cohesive mix but it actually flowed fairly well. I didn't openly hate a song until the very end (although that was a tag on not even on the mix, so maybe we shouldn't include it) and the others just left me feeling completely ambivalent. Thanks to Dalen for putting the project together and no guru for uploading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:37 pm 
frostingspoon

heh heh

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:42 pm 
Go Platinum

I haven't had a chance to listen to the mix yet as I am at work...

DJ, I don't think the SDRE song I chose really defines them at all. I'd be happy to throw together a mix of their music--a few tracks from each album--if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
Go Platinum

I give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:19 pm 
Gayford R. Tincture

I'm gonna try and do this as I go, so these are gonna be short and shallow:

1. On - "Pick Up" (Flying Rabbit). This was decent. Very similar to that Atlas Sound album from this year, but say what you want about Bradford Cox, I like his voice and lyrics much more than this. I wouldn't seek this out further, but I didn't mind it.

2. Moodswings - "Moodswings Overture" (timmyjoe42). Not feeling this at all. Sorry Timmy. Seems totally cheesy to me, like the Propellerheads or music from a Tom Cruise Mission Impossible flick. And WAY too long. This makes me wish I'd submitted an 8 minute track...

3. Dead River Drag - "Scarlet" (Timis). At first I was thinking that this sounded alright, but when it gets to the chorus, the vocals go all X-station rock and pretty much kill it. The singer is alright during the verses, though. Also goes on too long.

4. Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel - "Riding the Nuclear Tiger" (Sketch). I really like this. I don't hear a lot of new jazz, but this is somewhat similar to what I've heard (and liked). I might like to hear this whole album.

5. The Blind Shake - "Peach Lines" (catswilleatyou). Pretty good stuff. Primal and dirty.

6. Rapeman - "Trouser Minnow" (Drinky). Hard to say why I picked this song. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but the other things I was considering were completely different. A Mouse on Mars track from this great vinyl EP I have, a Low cover of Tom T. Hall's "...I Love". But I wanted to bring some noise. This has some, not too much, and a great groove with some amusing lyrics.

7. Sleepy John Estes - "Electric Chair" (OPA). Didn't OPA say this was the oldest track he had or something? I was expecting some scratchy antiquity from the '20s. This could just as easily have been recorded then, I guess, but oviously not with this much clarity. It's pretty good. It's the blues. What can you say? I've heard better, but this does the job.

8. Red Wedding - "Sleeping on the Airplane" (cybin). I like the off-kilter, knotty guitar throughout most of the song. I could do without that phase effect, but this is mostly on the good side of '80s quirk.

9. Chrisopher Blue - "The Moon I Dream Of" (Cotton). This has a nice sound, particularly in how the drums punctuate the bass. It's a little Radiohead-ish, but not in a Coldplay kind of way. There's a really subdued touch of Jeff Buckley in there.

10. Toots & The Maytals - "Bam Bam" (seafoam). I don't know if I've ever heard any Toots & The Maytals after Funky Kingston & In the Dark. This was pretty good, but it kind of slipped by unnoticed.

11. Opal - "She's A Diamond" (Radcliffe). This is alright. Blooze-rock. Not something I would listen to.

12. Throwing Muses - "Not Too Soon" (Grape Ripple). I'm pretty sure somebody has put something by this band on some other Obner mix, and for me it gets lost with Jellyfish and all of the other early '90s alt-rock I didn't listen to then and have no desire to now.

13. Three Dog Night - "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)" (DumpJack). If more TDN is like this, I could probably listen to them. This song is actually good. Like a sleazier side of The Band.

14. Sunny Day Real Estate - "Grendel" (Hegel). Sometimes I wonder: should I check out early SDRE? Maybe. It's hard to tell from this. Not crazy about the vocals, but they're pretty much what I'd expect.

15. The Clean - "Point That Thing Somewhere Else" (e-stone). I really like this. Nice, vaguely Krautrocky thing going on.

16. Thee Headcoats - "Ballad of the Fogbound Pinhead" (no guru). This is OK. This is Billy Childish, right? Is his entire career a smirking in-joke?

17. Mazarin - "Another One Goes By" (wenchlette). This seems a lot like The Clientele. It's very pleasant. I like it well enough.

18. Sloan - "Everything You've Done Wrong" (F**K You Dave). I've only ever heard a handful of Sloan songs. This one didn't really make an impression.

19. Blind Melon - "Mouthful of Cavities" (Twilight Kid). I used to love this album. Now, I don't know. This is one of those bands that have really lost ground with me as I've broadened my horizons and heard more stuff. I do still like when this song picks up, though.

20. The Billy Nayer Show - "Ceres Walk" (Cap'n Squirrgle). Dude! American Astronaut is the coolest movie. I like this little ditty just because I can picture that dude fucking skipping across the moon. Everyone needs to see this.

21. The Plugz - "Electrify Me" (nobody). Nice little song. Another one that kind aslipped by politely.

22. The Auteurs - "Chinese Bakery" (PopTodd). This is OK. Eh.

23. Vigilantes Of Love - "She Walks on Roses" (Kit). I'm running out of things to say here. Not bad, not really good.

24. Triffids - "Wide Open Road" (Mickthestripper). Not really feeling this. Sort of like latter-day XTC.

25. Lee Fields - "Could Have Been" (shiv). This doesn't really grab me. There doesn't seem to be anything really special about it.

26. Drive-By Truckers - "Shut Up and Get On The Plane (live)" (Senator LooGAR). Maybe I'd like this more if I was either at this show or could hear a decent recording of it. Right now it's just muddy, passable country rock with a heavy dose of raggedness and twang. That in itself is not enough.

27. Cymande - "Bra" (Dalen). I don't know how the name of this band got mutated into "Cyamide", but anyway... good stuff. Finally. This mix was really starting to lose me big time. I need to look into these guys.

28. Rock Plaza Central - "Anthem For The Already Defeated" (no guru). This isn't that bad, but it shouldn't be here. Thanks for putting this together and all, but it would have been nicer if you hadn't rewarded yourself by throwing this onto the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:32 pm 
Go Platinum

Drinky Wrote:

7. Sleepy John Estes - "Electric Chair" (OPA). Didn't OPA say this was the oldest track he had or something? I was expecting some scratchy antiquity from the '20s. This could just as easily have been recorded then, I guess, but oviously not with this much clarity. It's pretty good. It's the blues. What can you say? I've heard better, but this does the job.

That was my original plan but while listening to the songs I own by Sleepy John Estes I came across this one. It's a version I believe he recorded later in his career, maybe 50's, I'm not quite sure. I fucked up the title of the song, which is "Jailhouse Blues" I believe...

I just really enjoyed this song so much that I just decided to include it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:31 pm 
frostingspoon

Drinky Wrote:
28. Rock Plaza Central - "Anthem For The Already Defeated" (no guru). This isn't that bad, but it shouldn't be here. Thanks for putting this together and all, but it would have been nicer if you hadn't rewarded yourself by throwing this onto the end.

This is funny.

Oh, look, a reward for all that 45 minutes worth of back breaking labor.

Just thought the second file was short.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
frostingspoon

Drinky Wrote:
27. Cymande - "Bra" (Dalen). I don't know how the name of this band got mutated into "Cyamide", but anyway... good stuff. Finally. This mix was really starting to lose me big time. I need to look into these guys.

Good catch. I'd never heard the song before.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 pm 
Rape Gaze

no guru Wrote:
Drinky Wrote:

This is funny.

Oh, look, a reward for all that 45 minutes worth of back breaking labor.

Just thought the second file was short.

yeah, i don't get this. it's an obner mix, not a frostingspoon one.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm 
frostingspoon

work in progress...

Also not in my wheelhouse, but really not too bad. The synths give me Rush flashbacks. I'd listen to it again.

Nope. Nopenopenope. Nothin' personal TJ. This is like European driving music. (shudder)

Club Rock circa 1996. It doesn't age well to me. Too long, too much "nuh nuh NAWH NAWH NAAAAWH" vocals, not much really goin' on. You can't get away with that shit anymore - not sure why you could back then.

Not bad, but not real good either. I can't usually take too much loose jazz at a time. Does nothing for me.

I like where they’re going with this. Sounds like young kids beating the fuck out of their instruments. It’s not hard to kinda get into it. Not bad, not bad atall.

Wow that’s some distorted bass. Probably no real desire to hear it again. Kind of a nice sloppy Bleach sorta sound, but the lyrics are trying awfully hard to be edgy. Maybe it would grow on me.

…meh. This is the sort of music you appreciate, but don’t really wanna listen to much. The vocals are the main (and really only) course, and he’s got a good howl, but maybe I just don’t much feel like being howled at today.

Wacky early 80’s verses, with a nice little chorus hook that’s waaaay too brief. Oh there they go, they finally repeat it one extra time at the end. (shrug)

Pretty, sad, and nicely put together. Cheer up, Cotton.

I’m really liking this. Again, I don’t know that I’d want to hear a lot of it at once, but it’s a pleasant-enough song.

This will probably grow on me. It’s got a nice relaxed, slinky, dirty 70’s feel, and the harpsicord was a good choice that people never make anymore. I think this might go on for a little too long, but it’s alright.

Yeah this is ok. Also dated, but it’s catchy enough that you don’t really mind. Reminds me of 120 Minutes. Need to hear it more.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:15 pm 
Go Platinum

I did not mind this track at all. It is not something I would hear and want to seek out more of, but it was okay. It was new, different, and for that I appreciate it on the mix

I could not listen to the entire song. I am sorry. I like electronic/synthesized stuff some times but this really did not do it for me. I respect that it has some value to you on a personal level but I will probably forget I have ever heard of this group. Sorry.

Again, I respect the sentimental value of this track and the fact that it is new. From a purely musical standpoint, this song is sort of boring to me. In some ways it sounds like this guy just figured out what a bar chord is. Again, without any offense intended, I just am not a fan. I certainly don't hate this track but it is not something I would seek out more of. The saving grace of this track, in my opinion, is the energy of the singer which makes the boring progression seem more interesting than it really is. Maybe I will change my thoughts after multiple listens and after I can hear/understand the lyrics, but right now nothing makes me want to delve deeper.

I really enjoyed this track. It was interesting and relaxing to me. I could see listening to something like this while reading or doing work for school/my job. I wouldn't turn down more tracks, but I don't know that I would go and purchase tracks either.

I hope you like Fugazi because this sounds like they took it right from Red Medicine, IMO. I enjoyed this song a little more than I expected. I really like the way the guitar sounds...distorted, muffled, and energetic. The only problem is I am now envisioning you listening to this song as you go on some weird cinematic painting montage ending with you heading off into lala land after dipping the needle filled with heroin into your infected track mark.

This song was okay for me. It's something I'd listen to before getting in the water for a surf. Something to get my hyped up. Generally don't listen to music like this much, but it was alright for me. I dig the fuzzy guitar.

To quote Dumps: "It's hard not to enjoy something like this. Slow blues about jail." Good soundtrack fodder, IMO.

Don't like it. It makes me feel like I just woke up after OPA! slipped me a ruphie the night before.

This song, from the first note, brings out my bias towards certain types of music. I would love to have more of this. It is great. Very sad, but wonderful. The guy reminds me a little bit of Buckley, vocally. Very nice tune. "I am an accident waiting to happen..." The lyric with the chord transition was great. Much enjoyed!

I love reggae for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Most of it has an ability to cheer anyone up and makes even folks like me that dance like rocks want to move. I am somewhat familiar with toots so I knew I was going to like this from the get go. Good track for the advent of spring/summer. Horribly manic given its place on the mix right after one of the more depressing songs I have heard in a while. :)

I could listen to more of this. It is not something I gravitate toward but I was not turned off by it. It makes me want to do some drugs, but other than that it didn't blow me away. I tend to like most of what Radcliffe shares and this is definitely something I have not heard before so I appreciate the novelty of it.

I enjoyed this track a lot. No real experience with Throwing Muses. It's fun music and I could find myself listening to more of it with an open mind.

My mom and dad have a bunch of Three Dog Night vinyls at their house. I am sure some of them are fun to listen to. I have virtually now experience with them. I can see this being fun, but I think my age keeps me from "getting it" on a deeper level. I dunno. Maybe not. It's okay.

My track. Explanation on Dalen's site.

**This is as far as I have gotten. More to come later. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 am 
Troubador

I reviewed each song as a "never heard before song" without applying each poster's sentiments. Most of them had a back story or connection that really makes it a personal standout for each submission and interesting to read/hear in that context. All in all I enjoyed this geeky exercise and found me some music.

Quote:
1. Pick Up - ON (2000)<flying rabbit> I actually liked this more than I thought I would. I by chance saw a few of these albums in the .99$ bin. but the other songs did'nt grab me at all. I'll probably buy it sooner or later as it looks at me with all the desperation of wanting to be heard. And, you know sometimes that can turn out to be an album you can live with.
2. Moodswings Overture - Moodswings (1992) <timmyjoe>I was a little puzzled by this since it seemed like regular electrodancetrance stuff. I've got a bunch of lounginess I prefer over this track, but I can't ignore the particular sleaze that creeps into my mind during such a song.
3. Scarlet - Dead River Drag (1998) <timis> I like this song. I like similar sounding songs but always itch to end them at 3:05. I hate it when some artists think certain songs need to go further than a 4:20 mark. I aint picking too hard 'cause I love plenty of post 5min songs but this didn't need to be.
4. Riding the Nuclear Tiger - Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel (2001) <sketch>Pleasant enough. Jazz is not a frequent spin for me, but as Jazz goes sure fine.
5. Peach Lines - The Blind Shake (2007) <catswilleatyou> Not bad. I dig the guitar sound. A bit of a continuous onslaught but fits well. I'd have to put this on in a mood. Pissed off one.
6. Trouser Minnow - Rapeman (1989) <drinky>About as edgy as noise gets to melodic for me.
7. Electric Chair - Sleepy John Estes (1964) <opa>I really like the singer, the harmonica, I want to kill the fucking mandolin player and whatever fucking speed he is on 'cause he sounds like shit and ruins a pretty great song.
8. Sleeping On The Airplane - Red Wedding (1982) <cybin>Richman, B-52's, I hear lotsa stuff. A bit forced but sounds I generally like. The bridge bugs me. Its got its quirkiness firmly in cheek.
9. The Moon I Dream Of - Chrisopher Blue (2007) <cotton>I really like this. I could see comparisons to more known artists, but I wouldn't even mention names since I think he pulls off a genuine effort of his own doing.
10. Bam Bam - Toots & The Maytals (1982) <seafoam> Fuck Me
11. She's A Diamond - Opal (1987) <radcliffe>I could do some digging on this. Its not about energy here but more the chill.
12. Not Too Soon - Throwing Muses (1991) <grape ripple> I think DJ said it best. I would have loved this band in the day and I did 'cause I loved Belly, but hey I missed it then and I don't think can back track into this catalog even though I like the song.
13. Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night (1970) <dumpjack> Somehow did not get his on the DL but know it well. A fine pick that will always be a part of knowing good music when you hear it. One of those unfuckwithables.
Know of but don't know the music well. No hate no love here. I guess I would have liked similar in the vein of M Sweet and STP at one time or another. Just doesn't do all that much for me now as it would have then.
15. Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean (1981) <estone> Kilgour and the Clean were my favorite finds for 2007. I am amazed by this band that has a timelessness yet era sound for me. Its all about simple but cool sounding in short songs. I can only hope I could find a band/player that satisfies like this every year. I can understand others saying, "What 's the big D?" It just gets me and visa versa.
16. Ballad of the Fogbound Pinhead - Thee Headcoats (1992) <no guru>]This is Kinksy fun with some other 60's garagey in it. I like it.
17. Another One Goes By - Mazarin (2005) <wenchlette>This is pretty mild. Certainly not objectionable. I'm a bit tired of the fingers across the piano strings harpish sound. Otherwise decent enough.
18. Everything You've Done Wrong - Sloan (1996) <fuckyoudave> Something makes me want to like Sloan. I can only manage to handle a couple of songs at a time. Don't mind this one, but my impression is that they don't normally sound like this. I can totally be wrong about this I know.
19. Mouthful Of Cavities - Blind Melon (1995) <twilight kid> I loved BM's debut for awhile. I tried Soup then , but nah to me. Just one of those bands I liked but never returned to. The song is fine other than that "been there" feel to me.
20. Ceres Walk - The Billy Nayer Show (2002) <capnsquirrgle> Great. Ima keeping this one. I love it when rhythm drives it all the way.
21. Electrify Me - The Plugz (1979) <nobody> Don't love it, damn good sound recording for '79 though.
22. Chinese Bakery - The Auteurs (1994) <poptodd>Hear alot about these guys. Don't know much about them. Comes off a little dated like Pulp can be, but its alright. I'd probably check some albums out to see if there's more to dig.
23. She Walks On Roses - Vigilantes Of Love (2000) <kit>I always come across a song or 2 that I like from these guys. Not this one. They've been around for awhile.
24. Wide Open Road - Triffids (1986) <mickthestripper> I would have like dthis in the day. I could dig further to find some nostalgia in this group.
25. Could Have Been - Lee Fields (2004) <shiv> So, I've been on this Daptone kick lately. It may pass, but I am pretty confident 10 years down the road I'll be happy I held on to some of these albums. Lee may not be Daptone all the time but I know that he has flirted with some of that label's groups.
26. Shut Up and Get On The Plane (live) - Drive-By Truckers (2007) <looGAR>Not a DBT fan of all but I could dig this among a few others I have heard. I know some DBT fans and they scare the shit out o' me. Heh :wink:
27. Bra - Cyamide (197?) <dalen> Great tune that seems to be a bit of what I've been grooving to lately. I had'nt heard them until D mentioned it the other day.
28. Anthem For The Already Defeated - Rock Plaza Central (2007) <no guru>I hated this at first. I think I've heard it now on the 4th listen. Its getting better, funnier.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews