Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index : Special Needs : Introductions

How do you feel about Joanna Newsom's music?
It changed my life. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I'd rather drown myself in used motor oil than listen to it. 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Other 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Intro/Joanna Newsom poll
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 pm 
Street Teamer

Hi, I'm new here. I'm fickerson's boyfriend. She likes it here, so I thought, hey, why not sign myself up?

I think I have pretty good musical taste (and who doesn't?), although my preferences skew pretty strongly to noisy guitar rock -- early '90s shoegazer and grunge/alternative, for instance -- because that's what I grew up with. I love learning more about different artists and genres -- I'd love to talk to some jazz buffs, by the way! -- and I think I find a lot of good stuff here, although I'm more than a little wary of the contemporary "indie" scene (industry?), because I'm obsessive about maintaining my independence of mind, and not just following the latest trend (which brings me back to being stuck in the '90s...).

But I don't want to make myself out to be more one-dimensional than I actually am. The Minutemen, and '80s punk more generally, are my current musical crush, and I like quality artists who do almost anything (although blues-ish music other than Jimi Hendrix doesn't usually do a lot for me, for whatever reason).

Like I said, I mostly know rock music, so I'll probably go over there and post for a while now, but first, I thought I'd make this interesting and learn a little bit about the board with a poll. Feel free to answer and expand below.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:15 pm 
Queen of Obner

Hey, Fick's boyfriend! Welcome to our lovely lil' hideout. Don't mind the dirty laundry sitting in the corner -- the dogs like to fluff up the clothes and make it their bed.

I've only had a half a chance to listen to Joanna's new one and my vote is still out. On my half-listen, though, I'm hearing all kindsa static popping in my head, a la Bjork, Joni Mitchell, and even Cibo Matto. I need to truly listen before I can state whether or not my life has been altered because of it.

Hope you enjoy the cocktails. Help yourself to the pigs in a blanket.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:51 pm 
Go Platinum

Milk-Eyed Mender was my number one of '04 and Ys is my number one of '06.

I'm probably the biggest fan on this board.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:33 am 
Big in Australia

Hello, Fickerson's Boyfriend!
Glad you could join us.

As to Joanna Newsom, I have heard her but not enough to really comment. I suppose I should remedy that. There seem to be a few fans here.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you!
And yes, my cousin DID start Capital Brewery (but is now out).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:15 pm 
Go Platinum

Hello Mr. Fick. Welcome to Obner.

Not much of a J. Newsom fan.

I tried to find somebody of that sort that I could like that nobody else did - because everybody would adopt his group, and his group would be _it_; someone weird like Captain Beefheart. It's no different now - people trying to outdo ! each other in extremes. There are people who like X, and there are people who say X are wimps; they like Black Flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:17 pm 
frostingspoon

Try to keep Fickerson in line, will ya?

And I don't care for Joana Newsome much, which is weird, because I'm usually a big fan of harp-plucking helium-voiced elfin trollops.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 pm 
Street Teamer

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

As for my own feelings on Ms. (Mrs.?) Newsom, I first heard her a little over two years ago. My then-roommate put something of hers on (Milk-Eyed Mender, I suppose), and even though I consider myself very open to music that's trying to be different, challenging, or even obnoxious (I get a kick out of Arab on Radar, for instance, for about a minute and a half) -- I COULD NOT HANDLE IT. It sounded somehow sinister and made me feel distinctly uncomfortable.

I heard her again on the local college radio station the other night, and I suddenly gained a appreciation for her harp playing. Her voice still gives me the willies, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:30 pm 
Whiskey Tango

what's up dude. welcome.

not so much into JN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 pm 
Gayford R. Tincture

I'll never understand the extreme reactions to J. Newsom. Except for the positive ones after seeing her perform live.

Anyway, welcome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index : Special Needs : Introductions