Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index : Special Needs : Introductions

Post subject: An introduction of sorts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:36 pm 
Street Teamer

Hello all,

I suppose I ought to introduce myself. My name is Chris, and I currently live in Vernal, a thriving small town in rural Utah. I am 21 and waiting to return to college in a couple weeks.

Well, my story is an interesting one. A few years ago, I "lurked" at the old CMJ board and posted very sporadically as ForbiddenDonut or something like that. Then, two years ago I left the United States and went to live in Brazil for two years as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or as you may know them, the Mormons. The experience was amazing and life-changing, and during those two years, August 2003-2005, I basically lost all contact with the outside world, except for emailing my family. I returned from Brazil just under two weeks ago, and I am currently still a little shell-shocked, as the American living conditions are far, far better than the Brazilian, and my knowledge is just two years outdated, especially when it comes to music and all that. Anyway, when I returned to the States and my home, I went to the CMJ board, trusting that I would be able to receive assistance in finding the good music that came out in the last two years. However, I saw that the board was basically breathing its last breath, and in some post, I saw the link to this board. Hence, here I am.

As for musical tastes, if it's good I'll like it. Some favorites include: the Wrens, Dismemberment Plan, Built to Spill, Brainiac, Radiohead, Spoon, Sigur Ros, Les Savy Fav, Modest Mouse, Pavement, Hum, Enon, Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, Super Furry Animals, Cursive, and many others. As can be seen, all of these artists were well established by 2003. I have been searching on the internet to find the good music of the last two years, and thus far I would have to say that I am most liking The Arcade Fire's Funeral.

My plea is for suggestions of albums or songs from the last two years that you would consider essential. I know you all can help me, as the CMJ board introduced me to quite a few bands that I now love. Anyhow, this is my introduction.

Tchau.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:41 pm 
Big in Australia

Hey Chris.
I remember you.
Sounds like an incredible experience you had the last couple of years.
Lotsa people will have lotsa suggestions for you. Me? I'm not really doing a very good job at keeping up.

But it's good to see you 'gain.

Welcome back.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:10 pm 
Queen of Obner

Wow! Living in Brazil sounds like a fascinating experience -- lucky you! Great taste in music. Perhaps, you might be interested in Sufjan Stevens or Devendra Banhart to start off with. If you dig Mogwai, you might like Explosions in the Sky.

As a btw, I too remember you from back in the day. :)

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:11 pm 
frostingspoon

Wow, hey forbidden donut. At the risk of sounding fully entrenched to everyone else, my essentials from the last couple of years remain Okkervil River (brooding folk), The Decemberists (I'm sure you know), Jeff Hanson (RIYL Elliott Smith), and Iron & Wine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:49 pm 
frostingspoon

good food there as well, ay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:22 pm 
Queen of Obner

Btw, beware of Opa! He has an affinity for Mormon boys. ;)

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:38 pm 
Major Label Sell Out

well, you would've been lurking @ CMJ before my time, but welcome back any damn ways

if you haven't seen it already, here's a thread with everyone spouting off about '05 releases
http://obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9944

and here's a good '04 thread...it's got the Top 20, as voted by us, as well as some reviews written by your fellow Obnish
http://obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2930&highlight=2004

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:48 am 
Go Platinum

Aural Fixation Wrote:
Btw, beware of Opa! He has an affinity for Mormon boys. ;)

well, somebody had to say it.

i remember you, sr. welcome back.
go where jagged leads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 pm 
Major Label Sell Out

What an adventure you have had. Really facinating. Did you experince any brazilian music while on mission? I've heard good electronica and Tango fusions bubbling up from down south there.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:08 am 
Post-Breakup Solo Project

hi! welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:11 pm 
Alcoholic National Treasure

so we pretty much suck at the welcomes, no?

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index : Special Needs : Introductions