Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: The Jet Boys - Larger Than Life
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:18 pm 
frostingspoon

[img][200:200]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004V5H1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

Freddy Lynxx and the Jet Boys Larger Than Life Dusted

This re-issue of the Jet Boys' impossible-to-find 1990 album Larger Than Life (now credited to "Freddy Lynxx and the Jet Boys" and complete with a handful of bonus tracks) boasts some New York Dolls worship of the highest order. The Dolls may have been blamed for influencing a lot of late '80s/early 90s glam - from Faster Pussycat and Poison to Motley Crue and Guns'n'Roses - but as much as those bands may have looked the part, they seldom sounded like it. The Jet Boys, on the other hand, were the real deal. Although originating in France, leader Freddy Lynxx did time as a roadie for Johnny Thunders, and Thunders himself chose the band's name (from one of his songs). Much of Larger Than Life sounds like the Heartbreakers with a horn section, with Lynxx bleating like the ghost of St. Johnny and the band oozing such a high dosage of junkie sleaze that you'd think they were birthed at the Mercer Street Arts Center in '72. The six bonus tracks, including covers of Thunders' "Pirate Love" and Wayne/Jayne County's "Toilet Love", allow the party to last just that much longer. Viva la France.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:18 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Dude,

You and your obscure monger tapes are too much to handle..and I am jealous. This sounds beyong awesome.

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was "Isn't that a Dolls song?"

Of course it..."Riding around the fuckin city so high, like you was my babay!"

Cheers, Rads

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:22 pm 
frostingspoon

Don't worry, LooGAR, you've got a little taste of the Jet Boys coming on one of the Monger mixes. All you need now is an address. :wink:

Edit: I always used to think the chorus to Jet Boy was "Riding around the city so high/ Lockheed was my baby..."

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:27 pm 
Go Platinum

In the same vein, check The D4. They're from New Zealand, and on Flying Nun. I just grabbed "6Twenty" for a penny, yes, one American cent, on Amazon, used. They cover The Scavengers "Mysterex", a Kiwi classic, and rip through the rest of an album that would do Mr. Thunders proud (inludes a fantaystik Heartbreakin' cover of "Pirate Love" as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:06 pm 
frostingspoon

Billzebub Wrote:
In the same vein, check The D4. They're from New Zealand, and on Flying Nun. I just grabbed "6Twenty" for a penny, yes, one American cent, on Amazon, used. They cover The Scavengers "Mysterex", a Kiwi classic, and rip through the rest of an album that would do Mr. Thunders proud (inludes a fantaystik Heartbreakin' cover of "Pirate Love" as well.

6Twenty really got dumped on when it was released. I think it was simply a case of garage rawk overkill, or maybe revenge against the Datsuns, rather than any sins perpetrated by the band itself - 'cuz, like you say, the album isn't all that bad. They've got respect for their roots and they rock like fuck, which is all you can really ask from the genre.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:39 am 
Go Platinum

I don't have D4's album but I have a bewildering array of singles by them - the pick of the bunch being 'Get Loose'.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 am 
Go Platinum

It doesn't surprise me at all that the D4 would sell for a penny. After inflated shipping and handling, I'm sure you paid a couple of bucks at least which is probably more than I received when I traded it in.

And Radcliffe is largely right. It wasn't offensive in the least, more just another non-descript pisser in what was a sea of garage rock albums in the early '00's. Album was doomed to be priced at that level given how many they sold based on the what the f' trial price of $5.99 new.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:29 am 
frostingspoon

I was hoping this would be a review to the foolw-up of Jetboy's 'Feel the Shake"

Post subject: Re: The Jet Boys - Larger Than Life
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:18 am 
Street Teamer

That's pretty good and so nice article have been written in the post.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews