Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews

Post subject: OBNER
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm 
High School Poet

I hearby review this bulletin board:

Obner is a very active community of true music fans, dedicated to alternately mouthing off & supporting each other on a variety of topical topics. It's friendly & welcoming, but just anwry enough to keep things interesting. And so... Me LOVES it profusely.

[img][423:500]http://www.jdbucksavage.com/photos/buck_thumbs_up.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 pm 
High School Poet

And.. apparently I am the only one. :cry: [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:18 pm 
Big in Australia

Missed this the first time.
I do agree. And it's good to have you here.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 pm 
frostingspoon

Dude, no one uses the reviews forum.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated--maybe I'll keep the place open awhile longer after all.

j/k you guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 pm 
High School Poet

Oh great- now I'm the big loser who ventured into the Reviews forum. Stupid! Stupid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 pm 
Go Platinum

I'd have to give it probably a 7.5 out of 10.

Some intelligent posters, some hilarious posters, good mix of current world/entertainment news, indie music news, music discussion.

But too often overshadowed by assholes and the tearing down of other people's tastes. Also, the music is a bit formulaic. If you've been here for a while, you know automatically what albums are going to get long threads and which ones won't be mentioned at all.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 am 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

rock paper Wrote:
I'd have to give it probably a 7.5 out of 10.

Some intelligent posters, some hilarious posters, good mix of current world/entertainment news, indie music news, music discussion.

But too often overshadowed by assholes and the tearing down of other people's tastes. Also, the music is a bit formulaic. If you've been here for a while, you know automatically what albums are going to get long threads and which ones won't be mentioned at all.

Welcome back dude. I bet one of the longest music threads of last year is about Joanna Newsome :D

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 am 
Go Platinum

Not to hijack this thread for whining, but what bothers me most about the board lately (and by lately I mean forever) is the ongoing feuds. It's one thing to call someone an idiot for something they said right then (not that this is great either), but now we have a lot of pairs of boarders who hound each other (or sometimes it's one-sided) constantly, even when the "target" didn't do anything "deserving" in the specific thread in question, and it's really annoying.

I'm surprised I haven't acquired such an arch-nemesis yet (well, besides kphaley454), though it is pretty easy to hold a grudge against people I've never met (as evidenced by this post).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 am 
Go Platinum

shmoo Wrote:
Not to hijack this thread for whining, but what bothers me most about the board lately (and by lately I mean forever) is the ongoing feuds. It's one thing to call someone an idiot for something they said right then (not that this is great either), but now we have a lot of pairs of boarders who hound each other (or sometimes it's one-sided) constantly, even when the "target" didn't do anything "deserving" in the specific thread in question, and it's really annoying.

I'm surprised I haven't acquired such an arch-nemesis yet (well, besides kphaley454), though it is pretty easy to hold a grudge against people I've never met (as evidenced by this post).

Precisely the reason I left in the first place. Half the threads were people bitching about a lack of music threads, yet I'd start a music thread and just be given shit by people for no reason other than a seemingly personal vendetta. At some point you just say it's not worth it.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm 
frostingspoon

rock paper Wrote:
shmoo Wrote:

The thing is you're both examples of boarders who don't mind throwing in a bitchy, condescending post, but then you get shocked when someone is bitchy and condescending back to you. Man up.

And if you're going to leave, have the courtesy to LEAVE.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:06 pm 
Go Platinum

First of all, I never said I was leaving. Not sure where that came from.

Second of all, I wasn't talking about condescending posts, but about ongoing fueds, and I specifically said that I wasn't the target of any of the feuds. Bitchy, condescending posts are the way of the board. Fine. And I've certainly participated.

But that's different than, say, the hyper-annoying Monty-nickisnotdead feud, where it seems like Monty would attack nick for saying the sky is blue.

I really didn't want to start naming names, but I had to in order to explain what I was talking about. It's all your fault Rads! I'll hate you forever now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:37 pm 
frostingspoon

shmoo Wrote:
First of all, I never said I was leaving. Not sure where that came from.

Second of all, I wasn't talking about condescending posts, but about ongoing fueds, and I specifically said that I wasn't the target of any of the feuds. Bitchy, condescending posts are the way of the board. Fine. And I've certainly participated.

But that's different than, say, the hyper-annoying Monty-nickisnotdead feud, where it seems like Monty would attack nick for saying the sky is blue.

I really didn't want to start naming names, but I had to in order to explain what I was talking about. It's all your fault Rads! I'll hate you forever now!

It IS all my fault. I accept that. And the "leaving"' comment was directed towards Alongwaltz (er, I mean, rock paper).

But I dunno - that Monty-Nickisnotdead feud was simultaneously annoying and totally awesome. Easily some of the strangest posting I've ever witnessed and, therefore, worth encouraging. Ditto all board feuds, IMO.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 pm 
Go Platinum

That's true, there have been some amusing moments. As there often is whenever Monty opens his mouth (figuratively). Perhaps I need to rethink my position.

Damn, wrong again. ;-)

What's Monty's username now anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:53 pm 
frostingspoon

shmoo Wrote:
What's Monty's username now anyway?

I never know until I hit the unnecessary adjectival clauses.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 pm 
Go Platinum

Hey, whaddayaknow, adjectival really is a word. I thought you were making a funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm 
Go Platinum

rock paper Wrote:
shmoo Wrote:

Precisely the reason I left in the first place. Half the threads were people bitching about a lack of music threads, yet I'd start a music thread and just be given shit by people for no reason other than a seemingly personal vendetta. At some point you just say it's not worth it.

I think there is a difference between criticizing an album or an artist and criticizing an obner's taste. Criticizing an album should always be fair game and there are a lot of obner's who are terribly oversensitive to people taking shots at bands they like. There are a lot of these same people (not looking at shmoo or alongwaltz in particular) who are happy to make fun of "regular rock" bands or mainstream acts but will bitch to the high heavens at any joanna newsome or radiohead joke or attack. I find the hypocrisy to be especially annoying because its only those of us who make fun of the indie sacrosanct bands that get called out for being mean.

I do think it though that alongwaltz was unfairly attacked some in his ongoing thread where he'd listen and post comments about his whole collection. It's one thing to critique an artist, its another thing to repeatedly attack someone's taste. Still though, man up, who cares what some stranger on the internet thinks. I often disagreed with your taste and comments, but I think that it was one of the better threads on the board. At least it was music related and more than a list or a ysi request.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Good thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 pm 
frostingspoon

Somewhat ironically, it turns out that Deleted User was the best username that dude came up with.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Radcliffe Wrote:
Somewhat ironically, it turns out that Deleted User was the best username that dude came up with.

Did he quit the board again?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index : Music Talk : Reviews