Board index : Music Talk : The Mix

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Radcliffe's summer series
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
frostingspoon

I've got a few mixes coming up, so I'll just dump them all in here as I go.

Last edited by Radcliffe on Sun May 02, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:32 pm 
frostingspoon

Allergic to Fun

This mix is made specifically for the upcoming summer sun. No pretense to mongering or pondering, just a bunch of high energy, hugely melodic fun tunes for BBQs, yard parties, weddings, and bar mitzvahs.

1. The Yum Yums Let's Rock and Roll
2. The Successful Failures Never Moving Out
3. Mondo Primo Dude, Your Girlfriend Sucks
4. Purrbox Shake It Up (Cars cover)
5. Everybody Else Rich Girls, Poor Girls
6. The Cinders Deutscher Girls
7. The Takeover UK Kill Me Dead
8. L'Aventura Black Venus
9. Twisted Wheel Lucy The Castle
10. Beat Angels Celebrate Summer (T.Rex cover)
11. Kevin K. & the Hollywood Stars Cool Ways
12. The Sun Kings Off With Their Heads
13. Heavy Stereo Cartoon Moon
14. Psychotic Youth Elevator Girl
15. 1990s Sparks
16. Silver Sun Can't Get You Out Of My Head
17. Exploding Hearts Shattered
18. Eytan Mirsky Allergic To Fun
19. The Right Ons The Right Song
20. Telekinesis! All Of A Sudden

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lzqkamirdom

Last edited by Radcliffe on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
Go Platinum

awesome. i was just listening to the yum yums this weekend

edit: also, that's the best psychotic youth song

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:10 am 
TEH MACHINE

Nice. I'll put this and invoke the sun gods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:51 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

So is this one of the awaited Monger Mixes or no?

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm 
frostingspoon

Senator Lou Gar Wrote:
So is this one of the awaited Monger Mixes or no?

Nope. Monger mixes still to come. But you need this one anyway.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:57 pm 
frostingspoon

A new mid-tempo mix - mostly mellow or low-key rockers. Perfect for Easter worship of any kind.

On The 3rd Day He Mongered Again

1. The Clovers Rotten Cocksucker's Ball
2. Collin Wade Monk I Need A Woman
3. Joe "King" Carrasco & the Crowns Let's Go Nutz
4. The Right Ons That's New York
5. The Dead Trees Shelter
6. The Smoke Bloody Orange
7. The Farmers Impressed
8. Pat Todd & the Rank Outsiders Where Is She Now?
9. Tommy Womack Alpha Male And The Canine Mystery Blood
10. The Motherhips White Headphones
11. Thunder Express Feed My Dreams
12. The Inmates Sweet Rain
13. Heavy Stereo Deja Voodoo
14. The Circus In Flames Down On The Fraser
15. Chris Mills Crooked Vein
16. The Malakas I Met A Girl At N.A.
17. The Damwell Betters Your C*** Is Killing Me
18. Scott Miller Heart In Harm's Way
19. Dirk Hamilton Walk On Lake George

and super secret bonus track for all dem new babgies:

20. Purple Wizard Puffy Rap

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/2bi3bh5kkv

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Radcliffe Wrote:
A new mid-tempo mix - mostly mellow or low-key rockers. Perfect for Easter worship of any kind.

On The 3rd Day He Mongered Again

7. The Farmers Impressed

and super secret bonus track for all dem new babgies:

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/2bi3bh5kkv

Fuck yeah, dead Jesus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am 

Great name...where'd you get that? :)

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:00 pm 
Whiskey Tango

Yeah, Im gon throw this on and wershup teh Dayvul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm 
Go Platinum

I got this from you yesterday and I've probably listened to it 5x. I love it. This is right in my wheel house of the kind of music I like, which are songs I can sit out in the sun and drink 45 high lifes to. Over the years, Rads has created many a fine mix with his Power Pop Primer being my favorite. Not sure if this will top that one but time will tell. Speaking of, I still owe that Power Pop Primer review. That's why I'm doing this review a little early to make sure I actually do the review this time.

On The 3rd Day He Mongered Again Review

This is a great intro because it sets the tone of the mix. Summer is here. Let's have some fun. A+
In the great tradition of Grease, we all know summer is about short term romance. Monk is doing his best Jagger and lets us know the most important ingredient for summer love - a woman. People are showing up for the bbq, I'm showing them where the ice chests are and we're making small talk. B+
I can hear the grand tradition of Eddie Cochran Rock'n'roll in this song. Also reminds me of Vonnegut's humans either cry or laugh in the face of frustration, and let's laugh. But really it's telling my guest exactly what kind of party this is. B
I love the vocals, and I detect a little hidden western swing buried in the guitars. I only have two complaints. One, I have a feeling they wanted to unleash the brass but restrained themselves. Two, this is a bbq in the south, no new yorkers invited. B+
This is my favorite song on the mix. There's something 90ish about the songwriting like something Black Francis would have written. In fact, the vocals even remind of Frank Black. But the vibe is more laid back, which makes this a better song for this bbq than a Pixies. A+
The guitars on this are great. It runs from a nice r&b groove to dirty blues to power pop greatness. Did we put the sausages on yet? B-
7. The Farmers Impressed
The vocals remind me of Robert Earl Keen with more natural ability. This song would fit nicely on A Bigger Piece of the Sky. I think this song might suffer from the company it keeps on this mix. It kind of fades to the background a little, and may have been better served on the back end of the mix. C+
Yeah, I never thought this summer romance was going to last. I'm carrying on a conversation with someone but I'm hearing this in the back ground and the beer is making feel a little nostalgic for those loves of summer past. B-
Hello Jerry Jeff and Ray Wylie! This is pure Texas Country, and part of the Floores Country Store playlist. I have a theory on Rads that he has a country heart dying to get out, but his essentialist views on life have him trapped. But we're bbqing now. Speaking of bbq, did anyone check the sausages? A+
The vocals remind of Brit Daniels channeling Loaded-era Lou Reed, which of course is a good thing. My wife just caught me checking out another girl's ass. Thanks rads. A-
This song doesn't do it for me and I really can't say why. It may because you had me on the verge of dancing with the previous song. The sausage needed the burnt flesh scraped off anyways. C-
Not enough modern rock singers sound like Levon Helm in my opinion. This is Southern glory. B
This song is kind of the opposite of the Thunder Express song. In this instance the sum is greater than the parts, and proof that most things come down to execution. Am I drunk or are these burgers the best I've ever had? B-
I've been drinking and my legs are starting to move in a nice slow groove. My wife is embarrassed because I'm trying to dance with her. The vocals are similar to mountain goats with a little less inflection. B+
More proof of Radcliffe's country heart. Once upon a time, Pat Green promised country music to be the antidote to Nashville Radio only to decide to become Toby Keith. Hopefully, there is no Wave on Wave in this guy's future. B
Does Dave Grohl have another side project? I want to break into "I talked about it, carried on. Reasons only knew. I fell in too. I fell in too." C-
I was listening to his album the other day. I didn't care for it much, but this song is stellar. Squirrel meet nut. It's getting dark, and the assholes that I really don't like anyway are leaving. Only the true friends remain, and the real drinking is beginning. B+
Another example of that country heart. This is kind of like Steve Earle doing Buffet, which oddly works. There's a sneer, but it's manages to be laid back in islander type way. I'm knee deep into a drunken conversation about something philosophical with my friends. My wife is rolling her eyes. B
There's something familiar about this, and it's likable but it goes on maybe a little too long without really keeping my interest. C
This song is awesome. My memory of the night is really sketchy at this point but I remember dancing with my friends like an idiot around the backyard and eating cold bbq with my hands. I woke up on the couch with my clothes on but my pants unzipped and missing a shoe. Doghouse here I come. A-

Really great mix and I give it an A-, which is the highest grade possible for a mix not made by me. Overall most of the songs did an excellent job of channeling rock'n'roll but keeping the grooves laid back.

I tried to find somebody of that sort that I could like that nobody else did - because everybody would adopt his group, and his group would be _it_; someone weird like Captain Beefheart. It's no different now - people trying to outdo ! each other in extremes. There are people who like X, and there are people who say X are wimps; they like Black Flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 pm 
Garage Band

Radcliffe Wrote:
Allergic to Fun

This mix is made specifically for the upcoming summer sun. No pretense to mongering or pondering, just a bunch of high energy, hugely melodic fun tunes for BBQs, yard parties, weddings, and bar mitzvahs.

1. The Yum Yums Let's Rock and Roll
2. The Successful Failures Never Moving Out
3. Mondo Primo Dude, Your Girlfriend Sucks
4. Purrbox Shake It Up (Cars cover)
5. Everybody Else Rich Girls, Poor Girls
6. The Cinders Deutscher Girls
7. The Takeover UK Kill Me Dead
8. L'Aventura Black Venus
9. Twisted Wheel Lucy The Castle
10. Beat Angels Celebrate Summer (T.Rex cover)
11. Kevin K. & the Hollywood Stars Cool Ways
12. The Sun Kings Off With Their Heads
13. Heavy Stereo Cartoon Moon
14. Psychotic Youth Elevator Girl
15. 1990s Sparks
16. Silver Sun Can't Get You Out Of My Head
17. Exploding Hearts Shattered
18. Eytan Mirsky Allergic To Fun
19. The Right Ons The Right Song
20. Telekinesis! All Of A Sudden

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lzqkamirdom

This mix is a blast...The Adam Ant cover is fantaytstik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 pm 
frostingspoon

ShamWow! Wrote:
This mix is a blast...The Adam Ant cover is fantaytstik.

Man, I had no idea that "Deutscher Girls" was an Adam Ant song. That Cinders album is really good all the way through.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 am 
frostingspoon

Kingfish Wrote:
7. The Farmers Impressed
The vocals remind me of Robert Earl Keen with more natural ability. This song would fit nicely on A Bigger Piece of the Sky. I think this song might suffer from the company it keeps on this mix. It kind of fades to the background a little, and may have been better served on the back end of the mix. C+

The Farmers were the short-lived reunion of the Beat Farmers minus the deceased Country Dick. The reunion ended with Buddy Blue's death not long after the album was released.
Kingfish Wrote:
Yeah, I never thought this summer romance was going to last. I'm carrying on a conversation with someone but I'm hearing this in the back ground and the beer is making feel a little nostalgic for those loves of summer past. B-

I listen to this entire song just for that part where Pat yells "AND YOU KNOW I WANT MY SHARE". Just slays me.
Kingfish Wrote:
Hello Jerry Jeff and Ray Wylie! This is pure Texas Country, and part of the Floores Country Store playlist. I have a theory on Rads that he has a country heart dying to get out, but his essentialist views on life have him trapped. But we're bbqing now. Speaking of bbq, did anyone check the sausages? A+

My country heart only goes so far as a bit of twang. Once we get into the area of the two-step I'm outta there. Not sure about "essentialist views on life" though - you may have me mistaken for someone else.
Kingfish Wrote:
This song doesn't do it for me and I really can't say why. It may because you had me on the verge of dancing with the previous song. The sausage needed the burnt flesh scraped off anyways. C-

I'd agree with you, except I had some discs in random play and this song kept making me run to the stereo to see what it was. Eventually I had to accept that I liked it.
Kingfish Wrote:
I was listening to his album the other day. I didn't care for it much, but this song is stellar. Squirrel meet nut. It's getting dark, and the assholes that I really don't like anyway are leaving. Only the true friends remain, and the real drinking is beginning. B+

I'm up and down on this album. There's at least 4 other songs that are really good, but a few misses too. Right now it's an easy entry in a top 10 of what I've heard this year, though.
Kingfish Wrote:
There's something familiar about this, and it's likable but it goes on maybe a little too long without really keeping my interest. C

I had a couple days where this song just kind of spoke to me. Not sure why, really. And I'm not sure it belongs on this mix either.

Kingfish Wrote:
Really great mix and I give it an A-, which is the highest grade possible for a mix not made by me. Overall most of the songs did an excellent job of channeling rock'n'roll but keeping the grooves laid back.

Awesome review, Kingfish! Damn, remember the olden, golden days when everybody did such things? Maaan, what has happened to our species?

Thanks!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 am 
Rape Gaze

Kingfish Wrote:
I got this from you yesterday and I've probably listened to it 5x. I love it. This is right in my wheel house of the kind of music I like, which are songs I can sit out in the sun and drink 45 high lifes to. Over the years, Rads has created many a fine mix with his Power Pop Primer being my favorite. Not sure if this will top that one but time will tell. Speaking of, I still owe that Power Pop Primer review. That's why I'm doing this review a little early to make sure I actually do the review this time.

On The 3rd Day He Mongered Again Review

This is a great intro because it sets the tone of the mix. Summer is here. Let's have some fun. A+
In the great tradition of Grease, we all know summer is about short term romance. Monk is doing his best Jagger and lets us know the most important ingredient for summer love - a woman. People are showing up for the bbq, I'm showing them where the ice chests are and we're making small talk. B+
I can hear the grand tradition of Eddie Cochran Rock'n'roll in this song. Also reminds me of Vonnegut's humans either cry or laugh in the face of frustration, and let's laugh. But really it's telling my guest exactly what kind of party this is. B
I love the vocals, and I detect a little hidden western swing buried in the guitars. I only have two complaints. One, I have a feeling they wanted to unleash the brass but restrained themselves. Two, this is a bbq in the south, no new yorkers invited. B+
This is my favorite song on the mix. There's something 90ish about the songwriting like something Black Francis would have written. In fact, the vocals even remind of Frank Black. But the vibe is more laid back, which makes this a better song for this bbq than a Pixies. A+
The guitars on this are great. It runs from a nice r&b groove to dirty blues to power pop greatness. Did we put the sausages on yet? B-
7. The Farmers Impressed
The vocals remind of Brit Daniels channeling Loaded-era Lou Reed, which of course is a good thing. My wife just caught me checking out another girl's ass. Thanks rads. A-
Not enough modern rock singers sound like Levon Helm in my opinion. This is Southern glory. B
This song is kind of the opposite of the Thunder Express song. In this instance the sum is greater than the parts, and proof that most things come down to execution. Am I drunk or are these burgers the best I've ever had? B-
I've been drinking and my legs are starting to move in a nice slow groove. My wife is embarrassed because I'm trying to dance with her. The vocals are similar to mountain goats with a little less inflection. B+
More proof of Radcliffe's country heart. Once upon a time, Pat Green promised country music to be the antidote to Nashville Radio only to decide to become Toby Keith. Hopefully, there is no Wave on Wave in this guy's future. B
Does Dave Grohl have another side project? I want to break into "I talked about it, carried on. Reasons only knew. I fell in too. I fell in too." C-
Another example of that country heart. This is kind of like Steve Earle doing Buffet, which oddly works. There's a sneer, but it's manages to be laid back in islander type way. I'm knee deep into a drunken conversation about something philosophical with my friends. My wife is rolling her eyes. B
This song is awesome. My memory of the night is really sketchy at this point but I remember dancing with my friends like an idiot around the backyard and eating cold bbq with my hands. I woke up on the couch with my clothes on but my pants unzipped and missing a shoe. Doghouse here I come. A-

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:49 am 
Go Platinum

LOL

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:27 am 
frostingspoon

Yeah, another entry in the Power Lounger series. Fringely mongerous, with a slightly time-warped 50s sock hop mentality (and one old 60s chestnut). Perfect for cold beer and lazing.

A SACK OF MONKEYS - Power Lounging Vol. 2

1. Roman Candle Why Modern Radio Is A-OK
2. Wilco Sunny Feeling
3. Noisettes Never Forget You
4. Vetiver More Than This
5. Tim Armstrong Take This City
6. John Fred Judy In Disguise
7. Genya Ravan Stubborn Kind Of Girl
8. Herman Brood & His Wild Romance Hit
9. The Hellcats Don't Fight It
10. Albert Hammond Jr. Miss Myrtle
11. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs Soft Shock
12. Baby Shakes Come On Babe
13. Brownsville Station Let Your Yeah Be Yeah
14. The Fondas Might As Well Go
15. Cracker Tune In, Turn On, Drop Out With Me
16. The Kilians Said & Done
17. The Damwell Betters Subway
18. The Weight Closer Than A Friend
19. Robbers On High Street You Don't Stand A Chance
20. The Iguanas If You Should Ever Fall On Hard Times
21. Four Hours Sleep w/ Paul Kelly If I Had My Way

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/zht6grispg

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:37 am 
frostingspoon

Should've Listened to the Junkman - Slowcore Vol. IV

1. Greg Brown Whatever It Was
2. Terry Boylan Subterranean Homesick Blues
3. Chris Cacavas The Crying Shame
4. Frankie Miller Baton Rouge
5. Bob Forrest Memphis
6. Goodman County Drugstore Wine
7. Ian Hunter Silver Needles
8. Pat Todd & the Rank Outsiders Your Heart, Your Soul, & Your Ass
9. The Circus In Flames The Cuckoo
10. Beads Queen Anne
11. Four Hours Sleep Original Lover
12. Tim Easton Stones Throw Away
13. The Cinders Snow
14. Mick Flannery Safety Rope
15. Genya Ravan Junkman
16. Chris Mills Signal/Noise

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/b8h4921mvd

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am 
TEH MACHINE

Radcliffe Wrote:
Should've Listened to the Junkman - Slowcore Vol. IV

1. Greg Brown Whatever It Was
2. Terry Boylan Subterranean Homesick Blues
3. Chris Cacavas The Crying Shame
4. Frankie Miller Baton Rouge
5. Bob Forrest Memphis
6. Goodman County Drugstore Wine
7. Ian Hunter Silver Needles
8. Pat Todd & the Rank Outsiders Your Heart, Your Soul, & Your Ass
9. The Circus In Flames The Cuckoo
10. Beads Queen Anne
11. Four Hours Sleep Original Lover
12. Tim Easton Stones Throw Away
13. The Cinders Snow
14. Mick Flannery Safety Rope
15. Genya Ravan Junkman
16. Chris Mills Signal/Noise

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/b8h4921mvd

Fucking awesome picking 'Junkman'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm 
Self-Released 7-Inch

Dag nab it, I'm always at work when I want to d/l stuff.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:48 pm 
frostingspoon

And, possibly finally for this thread, a brand new, socially unacceptable monger mix.

You Know How To Eat Ice Cream?

1. The Flamin' Groovies The First One Is Free
2. The Fondas What To Do
3. Herman Brood & His Wild Romance Rock 'n' Roll Junkie
4. Thunder Express Get Back In
5. Fred Wolff Combo Somebody Else Was Suckin' My Dick Last Night
6. The Helgas Don't Wanna Be
7. Sick Fits Every Day Is Sunday
8. The Backsliders Last Call
9. The Dictators Pussy and Money
10. Goodman County Anarchy In The Southern States
11. Johnny Thunders Little Bit of Whore
12. Slash City Daggers TV and Pills
13. Jim Carroll Band Wicked Gravity
14. Trash Mavericks Crown Of Thorns
15. The Paybacks Black Girl
16. The Cinders Jet Set Gypsy
17. Prima Donna Soul Stripper
18. The Smoke Cut The Brakes
19. Frankie Miller Guilty of the Crime
20. Jackie Wilson & Laverne Baker Think Twice
21. Peter Wolf You're Breakin' My Heart
22. Diamond Dogs Somebody Have Mercy
23. The Black and Whites You're The Only Girl
24. The Swingin' Neckbreakers Rip It, Rip It Up
25. Reverb Motherfuckers Love Juice (In All 3 Holes)

Code:
http://www.box.net/shared/o8bq5bs1sp

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:28 pm 
Go Platinum

Radcliffe Wrote:
2. [b]Terry Boylan Subterranean Homesick Blues

Nice. I love his version.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm 
frostingspoon

im going to burn out my eyes now for even reading that tracklisting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:42 am 

FYI - Ice Cream is Official Monger Series Volume TWENTY FIVE (25)

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 pm 
TEH MACHINE

3 in the last week, eh? Well done, sir.

Also great on 'Little Bit of Whore'.

Board index : Music Talk : The Mix

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next