Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: BEST ALBUMS 2016 [A Rolling Thread]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:28 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

Lots more:

Quote:
To many, CRAIG BELL is well known as bass guitarist / singer with MIRRORS and ROCKET FROM THE TOMBS, two bands that were among the foundation stones upon which the Cleveland, Ohio music scene of the 1970s was built. What many may not know is that Craig was also an integral part of the beginnings of another era of creativity in New Haven, Connecticut in the following decade. With like minded musicians, Craig formed SAUCERS, FUTURE PLAN, THE PLAN, THE BELL SYSTEM and THE RHYTHM METHODISTS in the years he lived on the East Coast (1976—1989). Craig released few recordings during this time, two singles with Saucers, “What We Do/Muckraker” (1979) and “A Certain Kind of Shy/She’s Alright” (1980), songs on the compilation LPs It Happened But Nobody Noticed (1982) featuring cuts by Saucers and The Plan, while The Bell System had their “America Now” released on the radio station only SCREAM promo LP (1985), and a single by The Plan, “I Love New York/I Hate New York/When It’s Too Much” (1983), most of them on his Gustav Label. In 2002, a CD compilation by Grand Theft Audio out of Los Angeles collected the entire studio output of Saucers on an album titled What We Did. This, along with reissues of songs Craig played on with Mirrors and RFTT, was the only recording of his work available. 2016 brings aka Darwin Layne, an LP featuring 11 historic recordings, both live and studio, featuring Craig’s songwriting and his bands Future Plan, The Plan, The Bell System, and The Rhythm Methodists, along with selections by Saucers, Mirrors, and THE BRIDGEPORT BAD BOYS.

Vexx - Wild Hunt
Dalthom - Frame Slip
The Double - Dawn of the Double
Musk - Musk 2

Carl Sagan's Skate Shoes - S/t

Quote:
Super Secret Records is proud to release the debut self-titled album by CARL SAGAN'S SKATE SHOES. The band formed in Austin, Texas, in 2013 as a two-piece featuring guitarist and vocalist STEVE PIKE and drummer JACOB CRUZ. In early 2015, they added ROB GLYNN to fill in on bass guitar and help record their debut album. Since then, they have found a more permanent solution with BILL INDELICATO on bass. Drawing influences from Sonic Youth, Shellac, Hot Snakes, and Unwound, Carl Sagan’s Skate Shoes taps into the sonic fury of early '90s noise rock and pos-thardcore and blend it with their own interpretation and swagger, creating walls of sound full of melody and dissonance. Carl Sagan’s Skate Shoes has already cultivated a strong local following that is expanding virtually from show to show. The band is touring the midwest in June 2016 to expand its fan base to more of a regional and ultimately, a national audience.

----------------------------------------------
A few additions that I haven't ranked.

Brainbombs - Souvenirs
Sleeping Beauties - s/t
Meet Your Death - s/t

-----------------------------------------------------

I have procured one of those annoying lists.

1 - Unknown Relatives - Clueless
2 - Klaus Johann Grobe - Spagat der Liebe
3 - Spacin' - Total Freedom
4 - sSunwatcher - Sunwatchers
5 - Lavender Flu - The Lavender Flu
6 - Causa Sui - Return To Sky
7 - Khun Narin Electric Phin Band - II
8 - C Joynes - Split Electric
9 - Jakob Skøtt - All the Colours of the Dust
10- Chuck Johnson - Velvet Arc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 pm 
Go Platinum

In order from hardest to lite-est. Leaving out all the electronica, ambient, and prog releases, since none of you care about any of that.

https://1000mods.bandcamp.com/album/rep ... xposure-to
Truckfighters, V (not on bandcamp, but it should be in about a week, here:
https://fuzzoramarecords1.bandcamp.com/album/v
...?)
https://blackspaceriders.bandcamp.com/a ... geeum-ep-2
https://themysterylights.bandcamp.com/a ... ery-lights
Snarky Puppy, Family Dinner Volume 2 and Culcha Vulcha
https://georgewalkerpetit.bandcamp.com/album/emergence

And my personal favourite:

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/album/say-so

Blackstar is just too painful to listen to, unless I feel like it, so it's on another plane. A must-listen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:26 pm 

I'm really enjoying HM. My favourite of the year so far.

Heavy Metal - Total Bullshit

Quote:
Do the Heavy Metal Stomp !!! The Heavy Metal LP arrived ! Sean Forbes ( Hard Skin ) and Lydia Athanasopoulos ( MRR ) helped me out with some great "write ups" for the LP ( thank you so much ) !!! Read below

Sean :
And you thought the world had run out of great band names!! No sir - welcome to the debut album by Heavy Metal. Over the space of 13 tracks the two piece from Berlin make dirty punk, childlike chaos and raw DIY gems with reckless abandon. In parts it sounds like pissed idiots with a 4 Track recorder armed with a load of ATV 7”s and in other parts like some obscure Australian DIY 7” from 1979. Standout cuts are ‘Snail of Rock’ which is all snotty 77 punk rock, ‘Would You Adam and Eve It?’ which could have been one a classic Step Forward Records release and ‘Total Bullshit’ which sounds like the Sleaford Mods but with the recording quality of ‘Bullshit Detector’ compilations on Crass. You used to love Heavy Metal when you were young and now you can fall in love with Heavy Metal all over again.

Lydia :
After only six rehearsals and no previous recordings to date, Static Age is proud to introduce Berlin’s emerging powerhouse, HEAVY METAL. With this astonishing first full-length, HEAVY METAL crash through 13 tracks of noisy, antisocial, high-tension punk, eagerly mixing electric punk aggression with woozy electronic euphoria.

The songwriting, which hits that sweet spot between rudimentary racket and surreal elaboration, brings the band’s restlessness to the forefront—they could break out into dance or a fight at any minute, everything sounds possible. No sense is left on the cutting room floor; instead, the clamoring drums, buzzing bass and snappy riffs are cut with catchy synths, bountiful pedal action and an exploding cocktail of bleeps, loops, samples and solos.

This ticked off diversity shines on multiple, rewarding occasions. Single-ready “Don’t Call Me Brother,” with its kaleidoscopic synths and old-school beat, is a bona fide dance floor pleaser despite its antagonizing lyrical content, and “Staring at the Rich Kids” is an instant classic, a stomping class critique that could have easily been found on a Bullshit Detector comp circa 1979. Yet it is bonus track, “Total Bullshit,” that flawlessly showcases the creative menace found in the wake of their nihilism.

A joyride of shambolic punk, with a frustrated Welshman spitting wit and sarcasm into the microphone, “LP” could be the circumstantial soundtrack to a weeklong drug binge, going through all the motions to match, including ecstasy, hysteria, hostility and an uncontrollable, primitive urge to fight and fuck. And by recording everything themselves, HEAVY METAL’s already bizarre sound is pushed further into the delightfully deranged corners of their collective potential.

An intoxicating stream of consciousness, “LP” was recorded in their Lichtenberg practice space and mastered by the wizard of sonic chiaroscuro Daniel Husayn at North London Bomb Factory, making it sound as unhinged and sardonic as it is distinctively captivating. They’re already working on what is promised to be a much anticipated follow up, so get into it or don’t. Just don’t call ’em brother. ( Lydia )

**these have a slight dink in the tiniest corner of the bottom right of the sleeve. If a tiny dink in the corner of sleeve stops your enjoyment of a total banger of a record, this is not for you*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:08 pm 
Go Platinum

I've been updating my list a bit, but haven't been rolling so I'll toss out a few recs here:

Teenage Fanclub - Here: It's still new-era TF mellow pop, but I still like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAl8jqdMjg

Martha - Blisters In The Pit Of My Heart: British poppy punkster type stuff. Their debut made my top 10 a few years ago, and this one might be even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsDlehYWcI

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:38 pm 
Go Platinum

Loving the new Hiss Golden Messenger

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:43 pm 
frostingspoon

I really need to go through this thread, shit.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 am 
Go Platinum

I have to add Moulettes' Preternatural to my list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:10 pm 
Go Platinum

If you want to take a truckload of drugs, slap on some headphones and listen to some meandering electronic music, you could do much worse than these two...

Imaginary Lines
by Jonathan Fitoussi

First
by Tarotplane

If pressed, I'd say Tarotplane is the better of the two.

Last edited by nobody on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:21 pm 
Hipster Backlash

Lambchop - FLOTUS

Really loving this one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:41 pm 
Go Platinum

nobody Wrote:
If you want to take a truckload of drugs, slap on some headphones and listen to some meandering electronic music, you could do much worse than these two...
I've been enjoying a lot of releases on the Erased Tapes label. Especially Nils Frahms, Olafur Arnolds, Kiasmos, and Winged Victory for the Sullen. (I use it to drown out my coworkers and concentrate at work, myself.)

https://soundcloud.com/erasedtapes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:08 am 
frostingspoon

my top 10 of the year is starting to take serious shape....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:45 pm 

Quote:
The Cavemen touch on everything from lost love, murderous desires and their burning disdain for sophisticated artistic expression. Put simply: it’s gonna make you wanna kill. Writing about their debut album, which was released a year to the day before this, their second, is due out, the local Six Noises website wrote that it “features plenty of greasy riffs, uncouth howling, and road-rash-raw garage punk. Think a dose of Dead Moon, with a little of the Cramps and the Stooges, and then throw on a whole heap of vintage trash punk’s debauchery.

That’s essentially The Cavemen. It’s sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll conveyed via lo-fi, psychotic ’77 era punk rock” and, according to the Irish News, “turbocharged with the attack of early ’80s US hardcore and laced with the fuzz pedal-enhanced ‘whoop-it-up’ wildness of your favourite garage rockers from The Sonics to Mudhoney. The trio’s first record is a funny, tuneful rampage of hedonistic juvenile delinquency, grave robbing fantasies and substance/self abuse-themed anarchy.” Both nihilistic and hedonistic at the same time, this is a record to shake the cobwebs out of your ears. It isn’t sophisticated or remotely complex. It’s one of those wonderful loose-nut albums that reminds you that life is short, and when it’s not being nasty as hell it’s simply dull as ditch water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Dark Blue follow up their debut LP, ‘Pure Reality’, with ‘Start Of The World’ (12XU) – a soundtrack of a decaying United States. Each song drips with the realities of atrocities happening all around us ; John Sharkey III (Vocals, Guitar) pushes Dark Blue far beyond the post-punk meets oi sound they perfected on their earlier releases, and adds elements of brit-pop and shoegaze. Recorded by Jeff Zeigler (Kurt Vile, Nothing), ‘Start Of The World’ is a pop album that makes no apologies.

Boot stomping opener “Union of Buffoons,” sets the political tone for this album with an anthem for workers’ rights. Sharkey’s biting lyrics: “You can’t fight this, you can’t win…screw you once, they’ll screw you twice,” is a reference to human expendability in the face of deregulation and the stagnancy of labor rights. “Never Wanted to Hurt You” is a pop song in the highest order with guts and an undeniable chorus that would make Noel Gallagher jealous even at his most jaded.

The 50′s doo-woop and surf rock sound of “Bombs on the Beach” initially feels like a left turn for the band, evoking a playful innocence against a sunny backdrop. But the lyrics prove this is truly a Dark Blue song, tearing through any cheerfulness as jarring and abrupt as words can be to describe the reality of dropping missiles on a beach of unsuspecting Palestinian children. Sharkey’s voice is heavy with the despair of survivor’s guilt: “Now I’m holding my baby’s hand, as he lies bleeding to death in the sand.” This is another pointed song full of sentiment as much as it is an impassioned call for accountability for the crimes against humanity in the Gaza Strip.

While this album shows off new and varying degrees of Sharkey’s vocal intensity, Andrew Mackie Nelson (Bass, Ceremony) and Michael Sneeringer (Drums, Strand of Oaks) shine, guiding the songs in ways other releases haven’t shown before . Tracks such as “Be Gone Everyone” and “Western Front” underscore just how comfortable the band has gotten.

‘Start Of The World’ is the kind of record that Dark Blue has always promised: a collection of smart, fully realized songs that tell real stories. With the world falling apart around us, Dark Blue continues to give voice to neglected perspectives, many unnerving but all necessary to hear. We need a defiant record like this to remind us that just as there was start to all of this destruction, there can also be an end.

Last edited by Roach on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:01 pm 
Go Platinum

Dusty Chalk Wrote:
nobody Wrote:
I've been enjoying a lot of releases on the Erased Tapes label. Especially Nils Frahms, Olafur Arnolds, Kiasmos, and Winged Victory for the Sullen. (I use it to drown out my coworkers and concentrate at work, myself.)

https://soundcloud.com/erasedtapes

Yeah, great label. I'm guessing you've heard the Nils Frahm live 2LP? If not, it's really great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 pm 
Go Platinum

The new His Name Is Alive album is really doing it for me. Layered female vox over psych-jams. They do something different every release so I wouldn't compare it to any past releases (maybe the wankier parts of Ft. Lake) but honestly I'd say RIYL Tame Impala or Stereolab if they were a Space Age Bachelor Rock Band.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/his-name-i ... a-million/

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:54 am 
Big in Australia

All my current top-10 contenders, in no particular order, yet:

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Talk Tight*
Family Atlantica - Cosmic Unity*
Flamingods - Majesty*
Fumaça Preta - Impuros Fanáticos
Barry Adamson - Know Where To Run
Cate Le Bon - Crab Day
David Bowie - Blackstar
Klaus Johann Grobe - Spagat der Liebe
The Limiñanas - Malamore
Omni - Deluxe
Beef Jerk - Tragic
Dinosaur Jr. - Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
Ultimate Painting - Dusk
The Flat Five - It's a World Of Love and Hope
Goat - Requiem
Tom Zé - Canções Eróticas de Ninar
Teenage Fanclub - Here

*likely top-5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:14 pm 
Go Platinum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:13 am 
Go Platinum

^ Indeed, he really went out on a swansong. (And yes, I've heard the Nils Frahm live 2lp, but only once, need to obtain it. He's really great live, I've watched several streams at this point. He's far and away my favourite of the bunch.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:59 pm 
Go Platinum

I've heard several people say Frahm is great live, but unfortunately I've never seen him perform.

Not sure if this is a 2016 or a 2015 thing. Released as a free download mixtape in late 2015, but Erykah Badu's vinyl version of But You Cain't Use My Phone came out last week. I really dig it and especially the way it blends her classic sounds with plenty of more current elements. Nice to see her on the Soul Train awards too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 am 
British Press Hype

thanks for the heads up on Heavy Metal LP,
this is a lovely album but just a sampler vid I'm afraid

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:44 am 
Go Platinum

Hey so I figured I'd throw this in here. I do a live webcast Sunday nights and this past week was my Best of 2016 Part One show. So, here's some songs that I really like. Part Two is this Sunday.

Teenage Fanclub – Darkest Part Of The Night
Camp Cope – Done
Paranoid Style – National Sunday Law
Sneeze Attack – No Good

Martha – Catherine
Dinosaur Jr. – Tiny
Total Bettys – No Kings
Alice Bag – Programmed
Diarrhea Planet – Life Pass

Plow United – Going Dark
Doug Tuttle – A Place For You
Entrance – Answer Within
Hurry – When I’m With You
Kristin Hersh – Soma Gone Slapstick

Tacocat – I Hate The Weekend
La Sera – High Notes
Mo Troper – First Monkey In Space
His Name Is Alive – Thanks A Million
Aries – Eclipse Total

Tony Molina – Hung Up On The Dream
Belleville – Callus
John K. Samson – 17th Street Treatment Center
Nick Waterhouse – Katchi
Tenement – Lonesome Crying Eyes

Mikey Erg – Nyquil & Sudafed
Dan Vapid – Beep Beep Beep
Descendents – Shameless Halo
Attic Salt – Hometown
Jeff Rosenstock – Hellllhoooole

Cayetana – Age Of Consent
Sea Lillies – Nothing Gets You Furious
Wedding Present – Birdsnest
Backyard Wrestling – Strong Style
Role Models – I Ain’t Lucky

Against Me! – Rebecca
Earth Girls – Exit Plan
Starter Jackets – I Suppose
Dark Thoughts – No More Soul
Modern Baseball – Wedding Singer

Aphid Songs – Hold Tight
Teenage Fanclub – I Have Nothing More To Say

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:45 pm 
Go Platinum

I've seen this one on a few lists and think it deserves it. If a mixture of off the wall electronic music with Jamaican dancehall sounds like something you'd be interested in, here's the lead track off a really good album...

Equiknoxx - Last Of The Mohicans (off the album Bird Sound Power)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:53 am 
Go Platinum

Here's the wrap-up over at Jersey Beat, where I attempt to post nine different Top 5 lists instead of doing a top 40.

http://www.jerseybeat.com

Last edited by bort on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm 
Go Platinum

Roach Wrote:

Digging this one, gonna go order a copy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:54 pm 
Go Platinum

Also, as much as I am skeptical of any group after so many years away, the new Tribe is pretty damn good...

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6