Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: 2016 Lisht
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 pm 
Go Platinum

This has been a year of very focused listening for me. Heavy listening (and even involvement in some of) the below. Many of them adjacent to death or loss in some way – very reflective of "the year 2016": one that, by contrast from most, I'll remember extremely fondly for the way music moved me. I didn't love a lot of music this year – I heard so much that I didn't even like – but I loved this music a lot:

Gord Downie Secret Path
The Tragically Hip Man Machine Poem
Leonard Cohen You Want It Darker
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Skeleton Tree
Andy Shauf The Party
Fog For Good
Cass Mccombs Mangy Love
David Bowie Blackstar
ANOHNI Hopelessness
Hooded Fang Venus On Fire
Chris Cohen Overgrown Path

I also liked stuff put out by BADBADNOTGOOD, Rangda, Vanillalord, Doomsquad, µziq, and Aphex Twin this year.

* Please let me know what I'm missing.

Post subject: Re: 2016 Lisht
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:16 am 
Gayford R. Tincture

Solid, concise list. I'll probably post the usual sprawling, indecisive mess if I post one.

Chris Cohen! Saw him at one of the few shows I went to this year, and he was great. (I think the record you meant was As If Apart, though.)

As I mentioned in the thread for it, the Gord Downie record is wonderful. I did finally get the book, and I don't know why I didn't get the package with the record. Seems like it was obviously designed for that. I feel like I've really missed out by not listening to his stuff or Tragically Hip before. I will now.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I love that Vanillalord EP! It took me a while to actually get it into my listening rotation, but once I did, I couldn't get enough. Best EP of the year! For me it beat out Aphex Twin, Gorguts, and some other really solid stuff.

Post subject: Re: 2016 Lisht
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:46 pm 
Go Platinum

Ha! Awesome, glad you like the Vanillalord :) We've got some great weird records coming out next year on Boiled Records. Thanks again, man!

Yeah, you might want to still consider the Secret Path box set. The packaging with all the posters inside is gorgeous, if I do say so. I've only really got into The Tragically Hip through Gord, personally and through his non-Hip releases, and especially this year. Start with Fully Completely, Day For Night, Trouble At The Henhouse. I also love Gord Downie, The Sadies, And The Conquering Sun.

You're right about the Chris Cohen record. I guess he swept me away either way...

Do post your list, please!!

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop