Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recent Vinyl Finds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I've had to get up early to find things in early July, well one morning and an afternoon.

Lovely harmonious Scottish Xian Folk - try and guess which one is the housewife.

Piccolo, spoon's and jew's harp heavy Irish Folk

This was a curious find, I noticed it was produced in 1974 by John Cale so it was easily worth 50p,
that fiddler on the back actually is John Cale but I found out he doesn't play on the album itself.
They sound like they have a bit of a Kate Bush thing going on or maybe Kate was inspired by Chunky, Novi & Ernie?

[video=youtube;kM2rpICcXQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2rpICcXQ8[/video]

I picked up a copy of this 30's musicals soundtrack yesterday with it's fantastic open-out sleeve.

Such a great amount of detail and info which a CD issue would never be able to compete with.

The inner sleeve features the beautiful PVC clad Gold-diggers of 1933

I was happy to pay £2 a pop for the set of these original UK CBS compilations from 1963

I had this great charity shop find yesterday after I went river swimming for the afternoon in Olney.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm 
Go Platinum

Found a nice stack of oldies at the record show. All very well priced. Got the Crystals album for 20 bucks and the vinyl is in great shape even if the cover is a bit faded.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
Go Platinum

Had never seen these before. A couple of 10" compilations of obscure Sun records artists pressed in France in the 80s. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Nice finds nobody, the good, the bad and the just plain ugly turned up in my fields these past seven days

the good - well pretty great actually, a handful of original French 7" acetates from the 50's, all sitting in a tatty 78's box.
The rest of the diggers went for the singles (mostly 60's soul but hey, I got there late) and some pretty standard albums,
but these beauties were lurking amongst the stuff most folks tend to avoid, I do have an eye for these things.
The woman was doing a house clearance and was pretty stressed out on the stall declaring everything £2 each "NO OFFERS!"
which put some folks noses out of joint - "what, even the singles?!" but there was no way I was gonna haggle for these.

Little Richard

Buddy Holly

This came with the original sheet music inside the sleeve

also from the same car boot a 12" of cover versions by The Fall I had not come across before

the bad - although the version of Star Wars is not the worst I've heard

well smoking is bad for you

the ugly - pretty grim double header of holiday camp entertainment and dumb band names too!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:59 pm 
Go Platinum

Yup, officially jealous of those acetates. Nice finds there for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I had a great Blues score while out digging this morning.
All the LP's/box sets were £1 a pop except the MC5 which for some bizarre reason was 49p (it's a UK 1977 mispress/censored g/f edition)
this beautifully clean John Lee Hooker album from 1964 was is the best of the lot.

Argo box set jackpot!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 pm 
Bedroom Demos

local charity shop finds the past week - the car boots were rained off

a couple of sitar albums including the UK issue of Ravi's debut and one on Deram which came in the original Sgt Pepper inner sleeve

I knew nothing about this but picked it up as it was a UK mono orange label Elektra, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get into the C&W versions of Beatles tunes

A couple of soundtracks, German copy of Midnight Cowboy with an alternative title and the US OST for Tron with some great dialogue and FX

Test pressing of a Jona Lewie compilation - featuring this great track

some cheap and curious 7"s I just couldn't resist

I like the typeface on this one

I like the guitarist on this one

I'd not come across the UK sleeve for this before

Strangest of the lot was this single released by Robin Garton who was involved with the early Pirate Radio Tower stations

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Some nice audio biscuits with a large helping of cheese like this

I've had the CD of this since it came out but was pleased to finally find the original 12" - it has the great B-Side called err, B-Side

This obscure folk album from '75 on Westwood turned out to be a sweet revelation, like this beautiful track Soul Of Man

I got this just for the great artwork, though the Garage Rock on it is pretty good too

Nice early Flaming Lips 12" which should have come in a proper sleeve but just came in a plain one, OK for a quid!

some nice cheap 7"s

John Cooper Clarke EP

A UK EP I'd not come across before

His debut solo single

German stereo test disc in English with a lovely plummy "Greetings to all record enthusiasts" intro

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 am 
Go Platinum

I really like that Kevin Ayers song!

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm 
Bedroom Demos

recent vinyl finds

No poster but a tidy first pressing

My very first car bomb record sleeve (OK so it's probably just been set on fire)

Nice to find this out in the wild, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it before - it's frickin' Jazz NUTS!

Sealed and weird, am 50/50 as to whether I should break the seal, I listened to some on Youtube and it's was all a bit hippy dippy hmmmm...

In the same box as the Ecology LP was this US pressing of a cheeky John & Yoko record

The outer paper cover had some tear wear from the previous owner trying to get a look at their private parts, so for your benefit here they are.

A great find from the guy at the car boot who was there again with his sealed £10 selection boxes

But the best buys of the week were from a £2 selection box on another stall

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 am 
Big in Australia

Gardener Wrote:

A great find from the guy at the car boot who was there again with his sealed £10 selection boxes

WOW!!!
Very jealous!
:cheers:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm 
Fluke Breakthrough Single

I was able to get that Billy Nicholls LP as well from, most likely, the same batch that was newly found.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm 
Bedroom Demos

"this week I have mostly been buying singles"

tasty Danish picture sleeve edition from 1960

smokey single from Switzerland - listen and cough

3 x Polish singles - I just liked the sleeves to be honest

one sided UK (I assume) test pressing

ICI promo 7" from the Rupert The Bear singer released to plug Savlon

curious private Folk EP from the early 70's

Bollywood soundtrack EP from 1966

strange French religious single with insert

2 card flexi-discs

I did win a huge lot of folk & classic vinyl at the auction last week but am still going through it,
this full set of 60's Topic albums complete with their booklets was a sweet find.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 pm 
Go Platinum

Found some surprising records flipping through the discount bins at a record show over the weekend:

First up, couple of oldies in fantastic condition:
Duane Eddy: Have 'Twangy' Guitar Will Travel
The Lively Ones: Surf Rider

I've been wanting to upgrade my copy of that Duane Eddy album for years, but finally stumbled across a cheap nearly mint original to replace my tattered second edition. My favorite find of the day.

And, a trio of 12" singles:
Prince: Raspberry Beret
Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Relax & Two Tribes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Great digging at the car boot this morning, I couldn't see any of the regular collectors so felt if anything
was to turn up I'd have first dibs. I was about to give up after a slow trudge up and down the field when
I noticed a Traffic 7" leaning against a table with a load of other singles with it, this is what I found.

The Four Tops is a UK EP in a French sleeve however

They were all 50p a pop, and she took my number saying she has more! but that Yardbirds eh? OOF!!

I've never even seen another copy of this EP before, the guy standing next to these clutching 2 LP's
looking very pleased with himself didn't even look at the 7"s on the floor as he was holding a pair of
original Yardbirds LP's, both in top condition, they were £2 each but hey, I am pretty happy with these!

further digging into the large win of classical & folk at the auction last week revealed more treasures

Original UK stereo first pressing with a front laminated sleeve.

two blue Topics

A nice pair of near mint pink Islands, these are keepers as I doubt I'll ever find better first pressings

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm 
Go Platinum

Damn nice finds there. They look to be in excellent shape as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 am 
Bedroom Demos

I had a great 50's and 60's 7" score at the boot this morning, I was just lucky to be first into this box
and though they wanted 50p a go I offered £75 for the lot and they were more than happy, as was I.

picking through this lunchtime I found a lot of Beatles/Stones and many super clean gems including...

solid centre debut single

scarce UK withdrawn issue

as later covered by The Clash of course

weak tune but a Joe Meek production (the B side is much better)

killer Garage tune

4 x 4 Yardbirds

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am 
Bedroom Demos

I was most pleased with this pair of lovely albums, the Hawaiian music one above is just beautiful (love that price sticker!)
and the Julie London one below looked unplayed.

This kind of album is cat-nip to me, not sure if I'll keep it as sadly it has none of the original music available in this clip, just a dry Austrian commentary.

A nice pair of classic sound effects albums

A couple of the nicest bird-sounds records I have come across - and trust me I've heard a few! the 7" below was issued by Swiss Airlines

The most elaborate record I have seen for some years was this Brazillian folk album by Milton Nascimento titled Milagre Dos Peixes
released in 1974 in an elaborate fold out shaped sleeve with an index card inner & all in Quadrophonic

A couple of 50p singles I couldn't resist

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:30 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I won a very odd box of records for £6 at the auction yesterday, all these came from the same lot
and it seems no-one was interested in them at all, but some of the covers alone took my eye.
I've not had a chance to go through all of them yet so I thought I'd just post some sleeve scans,
I'm looking forward to listening through them tomorrow.

the only single in the box was this one below, a local newspaper Live Aid related release

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 am 
Bedroom Demos

I picked up a load of cheap ex-DJ 7"s this week, there were a lot of Rough Trade and early 80's Indie
like The Fall, Girls At Our Best, Cabaret Voltaire etc, but these were some of the more unusual ones.

stock copies are probably rarer as this never troubled the charts.

Poppy Indian tune from 1967 on the suitably hippy Flowers label.

After playing through I discovered this is sadly not the JB but a crooner in the style of Frank Sinatra, damn.

Demo stamped on the rear

Released to celebrate Plymouth Argyle getting promoted to the 2nd division as runners-up at the end of the 1974-75 season.

7" freebie from his Ice On The Motorway album

Another obscure Indie disc from the early 80's possibly the Birmingham area - they sound a bit like The Police

A lot of Charisma Records I hadn't heard of but by picking them all up I turned up some gems including one from 1975 by Bert Jansch.

Image Image
A nice pair of Hawkwinds

This was the oddest of the bunch
"After the tour for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ended, and Peter Gabriel had announced his departure from Genesis formally,
Gabriel thought he might start a career as a songwriter/record producer. He and his songwriter friend Martin Hall (who also helped out on demos
for the first Gabriel solo album "Car," and received a co-write credit on that album's "Excuse Me") Gabriel then assembled a crack, 'who's who'
of prog/art-rock stalwarts to record the track with Charlie Drake: the nascent Brand X and Brian Eno rhythm section of Phil Collins and Percy Jones
(on drums and fretless bass respectively) Robert Fripp on guitar; Keith Tippett of King Crimson and Sandy Denny for a vocal section.
Gabriel and Collins also contributed their familiar Genesis harmonic vocal blend to the session, which was only released in the UK it's actually a nifty
little prog-novelty fusion, very reminiscent in its 'madcap/eccentric British humor' feel and groove execution of Gabriel's "Willow Farm" section of "Supper's Ready."

4 x Stiff promos

Stock copies were on red vinyl but the promo's were black.

Debut single from '69 - it probably never came in this sleeve, but who knows?

Radio station promo - surely only ever played only once?

A pretty rubbish Indie tune to be honest but I like the sleeve.

a 7" 45 at LP 33 speed, crackers.

A strange rip-off of The Sweet, name checking one of their early hits and even on the same label,
however the B side Naughty, Naughty is the best song about spanking I have heard for ages.

One sided oddity sold via a bakers shop (probably)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:43 am 
Bedroom Demos

I honestly didn't know what these were as they just "looked interesting" but it was a stunning score of R&B and Funk 7"s yesterday

the lady in the shop said they came in Saturday, so they had been picked through a few times - took a punt and bought them all at 3 for a £1

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 am 
Bedroom Demos

got me some nice finds these past few weeks including some space related vinyl I didn't already have

dialogue & music from the film with narration by the actor Roscoe Lee Browne, nice g/f sleeve with booklet

in the same box was this 12" - not quite sure who the production team were, in house?

another space movie s/t - this one is narrated by BG star Lorne Greene (top right middle)

not space related but a cover version comp from 1968 which has a version of Light My Fire I'd not heard before

the only compilation of Sweet I'll probably ever need

I initially thought this was related to the Harlem Globetrotters but it turns out to be a sexy French spoken word record

I thought this would be as peaceful as the sleeve claimed but it turns into a full on sarod battle, first released in 1971 on 2 different labels

in a box of LP's at the auction was the motherlode of early 70's kiddie singles

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Bedroom Demos

with the car boots pretty much down for the winter I have been charity shop digging - and turned up some nice albums

an old BBC compilation of SFX from Big Ben's chimes to Morris Men dancing recorded in 1969

a near mint UK copy from 1971 but it's not as collectable as it used to be

I was curious about Beatles covers and the Pop-Art sleeve on the Shades Of Today LP and inside the other one
I discovered this original UK programme from 1958

smooth cheesy listening of yesterday erm, today

A plain white sleeve is always of interest to me and the only clue as to the mystery disc within was the label address on the rear at the bottom.

turns out to be a music exam disc - Simon & Garfunkel are the only popular artist in the C.S.E. questions

Image Image

a bunch of other music/schools related discs were in the same 50p box

but the nicest find of the week was this obscure Australian Jazz album from 1965 by pianist Judy Bailey which I took a £1 punt on

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm 
Go Platinum

Gardener Wrote:
I honestly didn't know what these were as they just "looked interesting" but it was a stunning score of R&B and Funk 7"s yesterday

the lady in the shop said they came in Saturday, so they had been picked through a few times - took a punt and bought them all at 3 for a £1

Very Jealous about now. Very nice, indeed. Never find those around here in sleeves and not in a pile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:01 pm 
Bedroom Demos

LP finds this week - most came from a box won at a local auction

released on Verve Records in 1968

This was in along with a whole lot of 60's Jazz - there were other comedy albums by Noel Coward, Joyce Grenfell etc.

Most of the Jazz vinyl look near mint, the box had pretty much every Ella Fitzgerald and Wes Montgomery LP ever made in it.

a sweet 50p charity shop find this morning!

In with the Jazz were these great BBC albums along with their inserts

along with this pair of American comedy records

best find of the week was this beauty lurking in a box of Clapton and Eurythmics albums

I wasn't quite aware of quite how good it was until I saw the reliable Mushroom label

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next