Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recent Vinyl Finds
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:18 am 
Bedroom Demos

bits & bobs picked up at a couple of garage sales yesterday

there were not many albums about but the ones that were made a very early start worthwhile

VG+ condition on this was good enough for me

3 early K&TG LP's in the same box

not my cuppa tea but when they are cheap I..can't..leave..them

a bunch of these beautiful vinyl/slides sets, of course now I have to find volumes 2 & 5 to collect the set, damn!

there were some pretty odd sevens, this one I could find absolutely nothing about on the net

I'm a sucker for the cheesy ones, good on them for tackling Beethoven on side 2

pretty much all the records on this imprint are rare and this one from 1968 is a real oddity

Image Image

a couple of new additions to my football vinyl collection

Image Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Took a trip to Milton Keynes earlier today to sign a 25 year lease on Radio CRMK - which makes me now the
proud owner of a radio station* I found a few things on my adventure round the City of Trees (* with another bloke)

stopping off at Stadium MK home of the MKDons, it seems 100 AA vans couldn't fix them getting relegated last week

some of the charity shops seem to be on a different pricing structure to my planet

luckily I found a great bin in one which turned up a treat, which was actually sitting right at the front!

it may have been skipped over by other diggers as even I had to look twice as I'd never come across
this debut album by a pre-shades/bearded Jeff Lynne before, complete with creepy inner gate-fold.

shopping trolley + vinyl = double win! including this double album on advice for the nervous

and a very early tatty but playable Stockhausen album from 1962

all in all a worthwhile trip out of town

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm 
Go Platinum

Nice find with that Lee Perry in particular.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm 
Bedroom Demos

A friend who runs a bookshop got in touch to say he had this unusual find for me earlier today.
Well aware of my debilitating condition Flexdiscia, he kindly let me have it for nowt.
Featuring excerpts from the 1970 stage production of the musical Catch My Soul and introduced by PJ Proby
it has great photos inside the A4 sized booklet - with fantastic graphics on the rear of the sleeve.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 pm 
Bedroom Demos

bits + bobs found out + about this week

Theme from the 70's TV series.

A beautiful atmospheric collection of songs & poems on a single by religious charity Toc H.

In the same box was this album of reminisces by the founder of Toc H., if you search the charity on Discogs
the main reference is to Pow R. Toc H. by Pink Floyd, the rear of the sleeve strangely features Jimmy Savile.

A lovely near mint selection of 60's EP's of Victorian music boxes.

Trump's current listening (possibly) I'd let him have this copy for a signed photo.

A signed copy of the only single released by the ex 60's game show Double Your Money hostess.

A pair of Israeli related albums that were only 50p a pop.

I took a punt on this LP as I liked the sleeve and it turned out to be a pretty rare folk album.

but I was actually happier to find this original UK demo of a tune I remember when I were a lad.

This obvious fake silver award was only a fiver, but as the frame was broken it may just sit in the corner of the cellar looking lovely.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I spied Jimmy Page at the Reading record fair today

hoping no-one noticed him stuffing Simon & Garfunkel into his bag

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:15 pm 
Bedroom Demos

things I found at the Reading record fair - I am tight when it comes to buying at fairs and all the stuff here came to less than £20,
not had a chance to listen to everything yet.

a test pressing of Bill Nelson's Sounding The Ritual Echo - a free album that originally came with Quit Dreaming...
not a lot to look at but when I saw it in a box with just the catalogue number (ECHO 1) on a plain white sleeve I knew what it was!

I have not listened to this yet but I assumed it's a sampler for their Budokan live album

a spoken word oddity titled The Family That Plays Together Gets On Each Others Nerves

a white label bootleg mash-up of Underworld's Born Slippy & Floyd's Comfortably Numb

a black label Hendrix album from the early 70's

one-sided promo with messages from loads of old bands, looking forward to listening through this one

pink vinyl & probably a bit cheeky, which is nice

a great Xian psych/folk album - I picked a tatty copy up ages ago but this one is minty

a few 7" odds and ends

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm 
Bedroom Demos

the weekend car booty vinyl finds

I was pleased to finally pick up a copy of this album, I've had others in this Co*Star series
with actors that were never going to be as good as one with Vincent talking on it, and I was right!

in the same carrier bag as the Vincent Price album was this soundtrack, someone had good taste

A very odd Swedish compilation album that despite a half hearted search online
turned up with nothing on P.I.E. 3722 Airways but it does have a cover of Typically Tropical's Barbados

a small selection of cheap cheese, some signed

a great old Breakbeat 12"

3 great Scott Walker albums at one car boot was a bit of a result, the 2 below were sealed and new copies from
the guy who turns up at the car boot with boxes of vinyl at £10 a go, I didn't have 2 + 3 so how could I say no?

I also picked up the 2 x 45rpm re-master of this beauty

there were not many 7"s but this flexi-disc was a sweet find, complete with speed changing disc on the rear
like a low budget Led Zeppelin III

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 pm 
Bedroom Demos

nice find at the car boot this morning, it has the music of Big Wheel (aka Barry Blue) released on Bell Records in 1973,
but with motorbikes revving up over the top on this edition

Image Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:42 pm 
Bedroom Demos

some sevens found in fields over the weekend, and an album in a charity shop this morning

The unpredictability of going through singles boxes at car boots is the joy of coming across gems like this.

This is probably a pretty rare charity single featuring the Spriguns of Tolgus singer Mandy Morton, signed too

5 different versions of the same tune O! indeed

Edited from 3 x Best of... albums!

YMO on yellow vinyl

Alan Hull (Lindisfarne) related single by Robert Barton who had previously been in a folk band called Becket,
this single was actually a minor hit in Holland in 1975.

A pair of classic new wave tunes released together to plug a compilation.

Pretty piss-poor Pistols parody - more info https://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/r/rubbishjonny.html

Mo-dettes tribute to the East-End gangster

Kenny slags off some quite frankly rubbish records but all in the best possible taste!

The only LP of note this week was one I had to buy for the title of track #8 on side 2 alone, sadly after hearing it I need not have bothered.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm 
Bedroom Demos

mostly sevens seemed to be turning up this week but there was one album, phew

The best find was this strange single probably released for schools in 1977
I couldn't find much online about it but the book is available on Amazon.

Scotlands fateful bid for World Cup glory in 1978

The hit song for the successful jeans ad campaign in the mid-70's issued (as a freebie?) in a g/f sleeve

Lovely to find an original picture sleeve of this DB classic but I really wish Kathy hadn't written her name on the front, twice!

Promo disc from 1968 no doubt handed out as you boarded the plane after your Jamaican holiday

Signed release by tenor saxophonist Betty Smith

Scottish folk EP also signed

I took a punt on this religious album and wasn't disappointed as it has several surprisingly good tracks

Translated as The Pleasure Gas, this spoken word German 7" sadly isn't quite as sexy as the sleeve suggests

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm 
Bedroom Demos

an unusual 'Outsider Folk' album turned up at the car boot this morning, very little info about it to be found
but it is available as a free download on their Bandcamp page! listen up : https://bluesteel.bandcamp.com/

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 pm 
Bedroom Demos

some 7" bits & bobs I picked up recently

great one-sided, late 60's cleaning machine promo single.

I picked up another copy of this silver promo flexi yesterday, my pretty rubbish old YouTube video has had 40,000+ views!

The oddest, unexpected things turn up in 50p boxes.

the pick of the albums, I picked up a huge collection of Elvis that turned up at the car boot but these were more interesting

OST from a TV show I wasn't familiar with but I liked the sleeve, shades of Police Squad in the theme tune.

I wouldn't normally buy an ABBA album (honest) but this one looked unusual.

This was probably the best find of the week, but alas had no sleeve, if anyone has one to trade please pm me!

A lavish (and a bit weird) picture disc album with huge booklet inside the gate-fold and instead of
Dalglish or Rush or Souness for the LP cover I thought it was kinda cool that they chose Sammy Lee.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 am 
Bedroom Demos

I picked up some great 7" singles at the weekend, an old boy turned up at the car boot with bags & bags of LP's
which were mostly 60's pop including Beatles, Stones but lots of them were tatty so I concentrated on the sevens
in a dozen boxes which were spread out over blankets on the ground, no-one else seemed interested in them probably
because it's usually a family & kids boot with toys and buggies everywhere, so at £1 a pop how could I resist?!

A nice pair of 007"s

Italian issue - 1972

UK issue - 1970

Dutch issue in a bizarre not actually T.Rex pictured sleeve - anyone know who this is?

2 x TV theme demo

A pair of sweet rock n rollers

Original UK issue with the backward print on the B side - the music is the A side played backwards!

A couple of mighty Link Wrays

Japanese issue - 1977

only a couple of albums of interest turned up, I thought that this was a locally related record
but it turns out to be the Northampton in America, but pressed in the UK by Deroy, what were the chances?

I took a punt on this Polish Funky Jazzy LP as it had a version of Shaft on it, but it turns out it's a pretty great album overall

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:10 am 
Bedroom Demos

have now found out they are an American rock band called Rex - easy mistake eh?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:41 am 
Bedroom Demos

this weekend's vinyl car booty

7" in a hand stamped sleeve from my dad's old shop - he actually paid me in records to stamp sleeves in the 70's!

Image Image

I really love the way his name is in SUCH LARGE LETTERS (as it should be really) it's a non-album track too

almost poppy version on the B side of a scarce 7"

a very nice copy of the original UK EP

early 70's rocker, the band would soon feature a pre-Sweet Andy Scott and his brother

this is the version I grew up with in the 70's

obscure country folk signed by the great man himself!

cheesecake alert, the LP is pretty rubbish but love that sleeve!

excellent early 70's compilation of Buddah stuff, check that tracklisting

Milton Keynes proggers who once had the distinction of playing Reading Festival, making the front cover
of top music rag Sounds and featuring (if you look really hard) on the sleeve of the debut Marillion album

it's signed inside by the violinist

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 am 
Bedroom Demos

Found some nice bits on a trip east to Peterborough yesterday including some nice summery Jazz
including Brubeck and Quincy Jones, but I'm digging Sergio's groove today.

It was fate really, I go to see the new Mission Impossible film and then pop into a charity shop on the way home and bingo!
a Lalo Schifrin album I have not seen before, the track-listing is intriguing too.

A pair of old folk albums by a singer who used to be on Harvest Records in the early 70's

In the same box was this signed album by 60's star PJ Proby, his message on the front reads
'Steve, I personally can't stand my voice, but if this album gives you some pleasure I'm happy, keep it - all my best PJ Proby Jim'

In a tip shop in Peterborough I came across this old acetate, I gave it to a friend to sell as it's not my cuppa tea but is a rare thing indeed.

I met an old punk at the tip shop and we got chatting and he told me he only lived around the corner and asked me
if I wanted to go and see some of his old records, which of course I had to do. We were walking to his house when we
started chatting about this & that and he suddenly announced he had just come out of prison. Oh aye, I said, what for?
"Armed robbery" he replied, haha I said with a slightly nervous laugh and decided there and then not to delve deeper.
He had a few boxes of really scratched singles but a handful of albums and he wanted a fiver for these 2, hey I wasn't gonna argue!
He was a nice chap though, probably just took a wrong path...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Rain has been a factor in keeping me off the fields of Northants this week, but I had a nice win at the
local auction and a few unexpected finds in the local charity shops, hopefully the sun will return soon.

A great sleeve for this 7" which came complete with it's insert.

1960's one sided promo advertising 7" for Alpine Lager.

2 x LP promoting Polish bands from the 80's with some good tracks on, and a few not so good.

A 50p find earlier today, I picked the UK single up recently too.

In the same box was this I'd not seen before, turns out to be a Philip Glass project which he produced & plays on.

I couldn't resist this but it's not as cheeky as I'd hoped.

Free (actually 50p)

Best buy of the week was a lot of Indian soundtrack albums/singles in the auction which I won for £40

The nicest of them all was this one which came in a beautiful fold-out lotus sleeve, unfortunately torn inside but the album is great.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 pm 
Bedroom Demos

The results of one car boot + three charity shops, could have been worse...

An original song book find inside an album by the late, great Jake, also nice to find it signed inside by him and his bass player Alan Williams.

Unusual to find 3 Mary Hopkin LP's in the same box also with a surprise insert of a UK programme with her
supporting 'The Hump'. One of the copies of Postcard is Malaysian and the other is an original UK mono.

A signed mid 70's release by those hilarious masters of the comedy song, who are still going strong since 1960!

A non-signed mid 60's release by the prime minister of Ireland, quite possibly interesting...

As promised on the cover it does indeed contain the words.

Old Blues singer in tatty sleeve but the vinyl was fine.

A couple of road safety singles were lurking in the same box at the car boot on Sunday.

This one features the Dixon Of Dock Green copper offering advice, with a clown telling his story on the flip, pretty bizarre!

mind how you go, especially when there is a psych folk band on the flip, bizarrier!

Blimey, it's in Spanish, who knew? apart from the Spanish no doubt.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:12 pm 
Go Platinum

Just got this box of over 100 45s from Jamaica.

Still sorting and cleaning them up a bit, but so far, this is one of my favorite record labels I've come across.

Lots more to sort through in there...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:29 pm 
Bedroom Demos

No singles turned up at the car boots today but I did find 3 rather lovely albums

A French album from 1972 best described as neo medieval prog!

A quintessentially Scottish folk album from 1970 by The Incredible String Band

The best find of the week was this LP of far-out music created by students and primary schoolkids in the late 60's

Image Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am 
Bedroom Demos

Some discs I picked up just before I went to Spain last week and a few I picked up earlier today.

An OST for a film I admit I've never seen but if the music/dialogue on it is anything to go by I don't think I've missed much.

Test pressing for the LP that came out in the 80's with kids singing pop hits on a TV show, the original record is a charity shop classic.

The first of several albums released by this Corby based school band.

Both of the original 78rpm discs of this mix of music/narration were together in the same box as the Mini-Pops

This was a nice find, a unique sleeve for the record that was offering employees of the M Wholesale Group an opportunity
to go on a 4 day holiday to Majorca. I couldn't find any more info on this once in a lifetime competition.

the record inside

A twice signed 7" but the great botanist - I had to double check he was still alive too and happily he is!

A personally recorded 5" disc recorded in seaside booth "in Weymouth Pier" probably in the 60's.

A nice mid-70's folk album, the guy I bought this from told me he still keeps in touch with the singer
so I gave him my email and told him to let him know I'd have him in for an acoustic session if he's interested.

a couple of other old albums with lovely gate-fold sleeves I bought from the same bloke

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

got a turntable for my birthday (technically, got an amazon gift card and used that to order my turntable), which should arrive tomorrow

found my highly-coveted copy of the long out-of-print "up the academy" soundtrack (1980) about a year or so ago and have been holding onto it in anticipation of eventually getting a turntable

looking forward to replicating gardener's many thrift shop jaunts in search of groovy vinyl finds

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:08 am 
Bedroom Demos

I picked up some nice original pressings at the car boots this morning

The final album by The Move who had been reduced to Roy, Bev and Jeff by 1971

A double compilation album from 1970 on Blue Horizon

A lovely laminated UK first pressing with a numbered booklet

It's unusual to come across a record that I can't find anything about online or the mandolin player John Dorsett or indeed any of the other folk on it,
but this is one of those albums, unless anyone knows more?

I am old enough to have a soft spot for Kojak on Saturday night TV as a kid, but still wish I'd come across a Star Trek or Batman edition of this comic/album edition

Best find of the week for just a £1 was this Sci-Fi movie s/t composed by David Campbell, I checked out his CV and he's worked on so
many records from Adele to McCartney and composed soundtracks from Boogie Nights to World War Z, and he's also the father of Beck!
I am too tempted to find a download of this to be honest and keep it as I found it, sealed!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next