Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Post subject: Phish - Sigma Oasis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:39 pm 
May contain Jesus.

I know there are some phish phans (I'm sorry) on here. Have you listened to the new record? I actually think, of the studio stuff, it's rather good. In fact, I think Phish is producing (solo and as the band) some of their strongest material lately. Trey's Ghost of the Forest was/is really good and so is the new Vida Blue.

Everything's Right and A Life Beyond the Dream are the floaty, feel-good, hum-along tracks we need during this isolation.

edit--I should add that some of the songs have been road-tested for awhile.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Phish - Sigma Oasis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:09 pm 
Go Platinum

After about 10-15 years at a safe distance, I finally saw the band again in Toronto last summer, the same week that they launched their satellite channel. The combination – nostalgia/appreciation for what remains a singular concert experience, and a new effortless way for me to keep up with the band – meant that I could create a slice of real estate for Phish in my otherwise indie music industry-addled world. Nothing (anywhere) will stack up to some of the shows I saw in 95-00 (inclusive), but that is what has brought me back, and from what I've heard from time to time they are able to reinvent some of that magic. To that end, my limited listens to the new album so far have been positive, and I'm welcoming of the new material on the whole (which I was mostly familiar with) even if I can't really identify with the lyrics. I love that the band took/takes risk, like the Bakers Dozen show, and that they are picking up steam with whatever it is they're doing. That said, I've always been the type of fan, even more so now, that would be even more excited for them to play one show with NO songs rather than 13 shows with no repeats. It's that sort of exploration that began my love of psychedelic and ambient music OUTSIDE the jam band sphere via Phish, and for which I am most indebted to them. Speaking of which, Jon Fishman's "The Errant Path" show is always worth a listen.

(Also, in the time that I stepped away from Phish, I realized that the Grateful Dead is the greatest band to have ever lived.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:53 pm 
frostingspoon

I might check it out.

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:12 pm 
Acid Grandfather

No point in booting up the old Phish is fast food Dead argument... but, the songs, right? Robert Hunter. The Americana Songbook. Roots in the Revolution.

Yeah, yeah. OK Boomer.

Sigma Oasis: OK Gen Xer.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:21 pm 
May contain Jesus.

harry Wrote:
No point in booting up the old Phish is fast food Dead argument...

I've always been fascinated with this tension. Undeniably, without the Dead laying a certain foundation, Phish would not exist. But then there's the argument that Phish owes more to bands like NRBQ and Zappa, et al., stylistically speaking.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 pm 
Go Platinum

Apples and oranges in so many ways.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:35 am 
May contain Jesus.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/phish-page-mcconnell-new-album-phish-food-ice-cream-991613/

Kinda interesting take, considering the above discussion.

Quote:
I’m curious about something else. For a long time, you guys had your own following, and the Grateful Dead had their own. After they stopped existing, a lot of their audience came over to Phish. Today, it seems like Phish are the major touring American rock & roll band …

The torch bearers? You know, just to back up to the premise of the question, although when the Dead stopped playing, there was certainly the perception that all these fans came over to us, from my perspective, when that was actually happening, the Dead fans didn’t think as much of Phish as they did of the Dead, and vice versa. Obviously, we had a much smaller following.
But what ended up happening was the real influence that I felt when the Dead stopped was all the people that came to Phish weren’t there for the music. They were there to sell stuff in the lots and try to make money. It was a little bit of an ugly scene, sort of the darker underbelly of their scene just came over to our lot because it was the next lot. Not because they liked Phish.
I think actually, after Trey did the Fare Thee Well concerts, I saw a lot of people that very next tour that looked like old Deadheads that were coming to check us out that hadn’t seen us before. That was my feeling around that. And that has grown.
They wrote great songs. And Robert Hunter wrote great lyrics. And I feel like there was a maturity to their lyrics that I hope that we’re touching on as well now. So I can see why people maybe would have had a harder time following a song like “Cavern” 20 years ago, but might be able to identify with “A Life Beyond the Dream” or something. There’s an emotional leap to them that our writing hasn’t always had.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:46 pm 
frostingspoon

I haven't listened to a studio album of theirs since Farmhouse, but I might give this a passive listen. I've seen them a handful of times over the last 10 years and I just don't have the stamina for their shows anymore. They still have the ability to take their phans on a journey during a show, and I appreciate that, but after 75-90min with any band I'm ready to leave the show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:51 am 
May contain Jesus.

discostu Wrote:
I haven't listened to a studio album of theirs since Farmhouse, but I might give this a passive listen. I've seen them a handful of times over the last 10 years and I just don't have the stamina for their shows anymore. They still have the ability to take their phans on a journey during a show, and I appreciate that, but after 75-90min with any band I'm ready to leave the show.

I've been absent as well, but 2020 really reinvigorated me. I'm pretty sure Sigma Oasis will be crowned my favorite of the year.

Trey did an amazing run of livestream shows at The Beacon for like 8 weeks straight every Friday night. It was incredible. And Phish's archive deep dives into filmed shows for Dinner and a Movie have been pretty good as well.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop