Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: MUSIC SCHOOL. Listen with the Doctor. Episode 1 - 1970.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 am 
Go Platinum

330 - ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM - Brazil

I feel like Billy G should be reviewing this one. I'm pretty much pig ignorant on Latin music although when I was going through my 1960s lists I did like some of the tracks that came up. This is pretty understated, bit of samba, bit of jazz going on, I like the percussion element. Overall this is mood music and since I'm currently being thrown down the deep dark well of a Scottish winter I'm not sure if this track is either completely irrelevant or a nice imaginative fall back position to help cope with 5 months of cold, sunless, lightless despair. You know what? I think I can imagine lying on my bed shivering, looking up at the tatty ceiling of an electric lit room at 2.30pm in the afternoon, listening to this on headphones and taking a flight of fancy. Swaying palms, bronzed bikini girls, tropical seas. I'm giving it 4/5!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:58 am 
Go Platinum

329 - THE ALLMAN BROTHERS - Revival (Love Is Everywhere)

The Allman Brothers were heroin addicted chopper riding wild men, yet this sounds like something an retired bank manager/audiophile sticks on the turntable while his wife attends a church event - it's that polite. Lyrically it could be hippy guff or Christian guff but either way it's guff. I'm walking away, I don't want anything to do with this. 2/5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:55 am 
Go Platinum

328 - PAUL McCARTNEY - Momma Miss America

I found it hard to believe this was released as a single but I did some digging on the internet and apparently it was released as a 45 in Iran of all places. I guess it qualifies then. 'Momma Miss America' if you don't know is two instrumentals joined together. Nothing earth shattering, nothing objectionable. McCartney was obviously a great bass player, that's evident here, but his drumming always bothered me a bit. I suppose if you are looking for a frame of reference it's McCartney kind of doing a Booker T & the MGs sort of thing but to be honest I didn't like them much and this is merely OK. 3/5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:44 am 
Go Platinum

327 - THE CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD - Pay To The Piper

Didn't The Chairmen Of The Board have a big hit? I can't think what it was right now though. Anyway Jackson 5, early Stevie Wonder, Motown, it's all here. There is absolutely nothing 'wrong' with this and it might even be enjoyable if the person listening was less tightly wound than I am. However to me, ever the niggly critic, this comes off as just too generic to really elevate into the hallowed range of 4/5. It's too much other things and not enough itself and it lacks something or other. Therefore I have to award 3/5. Now what was that hit? No googling....

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:04 pm 
Go Platinum

326 - BLACK WIDOW - Come To The Sabbat

Black Sabbath were only the 2nd most satanic band of 1970 for there was....Black Widow! Musically of course Black Sabbath destroy Black Widow who sound like a weedy Jethro Tull but you have to admit the chanted chorus 'Come to the sabbat, Satan's there!' is both slightly sinister and very catchy. After listening to this who wouldn't want to dance around outside a church like some kind of hellish kobold taunting the elderly parishioners with the aforementioned refrain? I know I would. Dumb as fuck and beyond silly and therefore I'm give this 4/5 but only as my bedroom light shade has been possessed by Pazuzu! True story, see Facebook for further details. It's looking at me right now!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm 
Go Platinum

Chairman of the Board's big hit was "Give Me Just a Little More Time," which I love. They also did the original version of "Patches," later a hit when done by Clarence Carter (though not much later, I think both versions were 1970).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 pm 
Go Platinum

shmoo Wrote:
Chairman of the Board's big hit was "Give Me Just a Little More Time," which I love. They also did the original version of "Patches," later a hit when done by Clarence Carter (though not much later, I think both versions were 1970).

'Give Me Just A Little More Time' was on my 1969 shortlist. Should have remembered and in fact did afterwards.

Clarence Carter's 'Patches' will be coming up in roughly about February 2021 provided I survive that long/don't have my electricity cut off. Couple more Chairman of the Boards as well.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:22 am 
Go Platinum

325 - JAMES BROWN - It's A New Day

Another James Brown track although this one is an actual 1970 release rather than a re-release. More and more I'm starting to regard as James Brown as the sort of black Ramones. He really didn't stray very far from the formula....but what a formula. Over the course of this little project I've been doing ('64 - '70) I've heard about 20 James Brown singles, probably about 50% of them sound exactly the same, and yet I can't not shortlist every one of them. This isn't even one of the stronger efforts but it's still brimming with energy and funkiness. 4/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:14 am 
Go Platinum

324 - JOHNNIE TAYLOR - Jody's Got Your Girl And Gone

I think this is a different guy from Little Johnny Taylor who recorded in the early 60's but maybe he just got bigger? This starts off great, real tight and focused, but doesn't quite manage that for the full three minutes. However even though it goes outside the lines at points it's still pretty good. Mr Taylor has a great soul voice that's for sure and the band has that typical Stax groove. Me likey. 4/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:13 pm 
Go Platinum

So 323 is Jimi Hendrix - 1983 (A Mermaid I Should Be) but since the Hendrix estate doesn't allow tracks on You Tube I can't really do this one here. It's disappointing because I'm 3,500 songs into this little project starting in 1963 up to 1970 and I think the only songs that haven't been on YT are Hendrix songs. Ah well. I'll listen to my copy of Electric Ladyland and add the score in later. I'd imagine it would be a 4 but it is a while since I heard it.

Onwards to....

322 - OPUS - Baby Come On

As the comments state this was actually released in 1970. YT isn't very good at putting the correct release date on things. And talking of things that aren't very good...here is Opus going for that very 1970 hard rock sound but they forgot to actually write a song. This is just structureless noise that's apparently being made up on the spot by people who can't improvise. Pretty much every thing on this record is as rudimentary or generic as it could be. I especially 'like' the Led Zeppelin rip off end sequence. Yeah, this one whiffs a bit. 2/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am 
Go Platinum

321 - BREAD - Make It With You

Had no idea what this was going to be but....hey! I know this song! Now it has a name. This is one of those one's where perhaps people with different tastes to me would laud it while I don't really like it much. It's well written, played, sung, it's just too schmaltzy for my tastes with it's country & western lite sentimentality and lush strings. 3/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 pm 
Go Platinum

320 - KEVIN AYERS - Butterfly Dance

Heard bits and bobs of Kevin Ayers over the years and liked them but not really enough to take a more in depth look. This one peps up a bit after the annoying intro. Upbeat with clattering percussion and a busy bass line. It's hardly the stuff of genius but it's good enough to transmit a little voom. 4/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 pm 
Go Platinum

319 - STEVIE WONDER - Heaven Help Us All

This kind of reminds in a way of Michael Jackson's Earth Song, ie, preachy horse shit with a bombastic choir. Oh such injustice in the world, we are doomed if we don't come together and channel our innate goodness towards AH SHUT UP! FUCKING IDIOT! Just beyond asinine. There's ways to do this kind of thing but this is a clodhopper. 2/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm 
Go Platinum

318 - JOHN LENNON - Mother

Was reading just the other day that Lou Reed rates this as a Top 5 song of all time. But Lou Reed is an asshole. No one, and I mean no one, loves The Lennon more than me, and I actually really like this album, but I don't like this track much. Not only is it musically pretty bland I also think Lennon is lyrically playing to the gallery here. He's pulling the wool over our eyes, he's mythologizing his own tortured artist persona, it's not sincere and basically he's full of shit on this one. 2/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 am 
Go Platinum

317 - EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND - Apache Dropout

I've never had an animal talk to me while on acid but if one did I imagine it may well sound like however contributed vocals to this track. This is a weird one, a Captain Beefheart cover mashed up with The Shadows that ends up sounding not a million miles from current day Black Lips. I also kinda like the band aesthetic, a sort of Hammer Horror witch-finder general look, as if Three Dog Night had gone all summary execution-y. I actually like the wackiness of this but musically I think I can only justify a 3/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:31 am 
Go Platinum

316 - MOUNTAIN - For Yasgur's Farm

I suppose the feeling was that they couldn't keep doing balls out rockers and that some kind of different angle was required that showed a greater degree of sophistication. Unfortunately this has merely produced an awkward sounding, mostly uninteresting attempt. If this was weather it would be one of those days that's mostly dull but occasionally throws a slanted sunbeam down before it's almost immediately smothered by grey skies again. Some nice guitar touches but restraint reigns supreme. 3/5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:01 am 
Go Platinum

315 - LITTLE SISTER - Stanga

Little Sister was the backing vocalist for Sly and the Family Stone, literally Sly's little sister. As we all probably know the Family Stone had just a teeny weeny bit of a drug problem and you probably won't be too surprised if I tell you this is one of the most stoned pieces of music I've ever heard. It's great though, really just an extension of the already established Family Stone style of drugged up, hazy, slo-mo funk, and it's right up there with most of the stuff Sly did. 4/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 am 
Go Platinum

314 - CHRISTIE - Yellow River

This might well be the original template for all the completely shit, lightweight, annoyingly up beat, substance less, pop garbage of the 1970s. It brings to mind all the worst aspects of the decade. Bad hair, bad clothes, giant lapels, ridiculous kipper ties, polyester, crimplene, bri-nylon, the beginning of mass philistinism and worst of all appalling taste in music. Just checking, just checking....oh OF COURSE it was a Top Ten hit! OF COURSE! I'd bite the nose off any one of the pricks in this band and spit it in their face. You crossed the line Christie! 1/5! No! ZERO OUT OF A MILLION!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:19 am 
Go Platinum

313 - SUB - Ma Mari Huana

This would have been throw-a-way, trashy psych in 1967 quite what it's doing in 1970 is anybody's guess. Apparently Sub were a German band and apart from them putting out this single and a live album I know nothing about them. Perhaps they have some kind of cache with acid heads but this sounds like bandwagon hopping hopeless cases to me. I mean marijuana was vaguely daring in 65-66 and psych was already approaching being played out by 1970 so the whole thing seems like embarrassing tail coat grabbing from faux scenester shit heads. 2/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:40 am 
Go Platinum

312 - TEN YEARS AFTER - Working On The Road

Don't have much to say about this one. It's just kinda a standard rock song, nothing especially bad about it, nothing especially stand out about it. You'd say it was probably album filler except of course it was released as a single. Maybe give that album a miss! 3/5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:45 am 
Go Platinum

311 - THE METERS - A Message From The Meters

Some nice funky details here and there but for the most part this is monotonous and under powered. I gave the The Meters the benefit of the doubt last time so this time I must withdraw that privilege. 3/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:54 am 
Go Platinum

310 - CHRISTOPHE - The Girl From Salina

The descending chords at the beginning reminded me strongly of a Crazy World of Arthur Brown track but I doubt that was an influence but who knows. I know Christophe was a dude, if that's him singing he had a pretty high voice. The first time I listened to this I only gave it a 2/5 but maybe I was a little harsh. It has that lachrymose European tone to it (for Christophe is French) which I've personally always found a bit overwrought but at the same time it builds to something quite well. You know what, I'm gonna stick to 2/5. Sorry Christophe!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:02 pm 
Go Platinum

309 - MARVIN GAYE - Abraham, Martin & John

Shades of 'Midnight Train To Georgia' about this although that didn't come out till 1973. And MTTG was much better than this typically rather limp effort from Marvin who was going through a bit of a creative lull at this time (Don't worry kids 'What's Going On' is only a year away). 3/5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:11 pm 
Go Platinum

308 is 'Izabella' by Jimi Hendrix. So due to the Hendrix YT embargo we move swiftly on to...

307 - DEREK & THE DOMINOS - Tell The Truth

Clapton, Allman, this should be a guitar lovers heaven but I'm having a hard time getting too enthusiastic about this one. It kinda sounds like the credit music to a straight to VHS Chuck Norris movie about a sheriff who cares not about the rules in small town Louisiana. There's also more than a hint of self love going on with this dull effort. 3/5.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:17 pm 
Go Platinum

306 - BLONDE ON BLONDE - Castles In The Sky

Maybe you, like me, were expecting Dylan acolytes but no this is more the dying, twitching stump of psychedelic pop from a bunch of bandwagon jumping musical nobodies. This would have been mediocre garbage in 1968. Subsequently Blonde On Blonde called it a day in 1971 and I think that was a wise decision based on this whiffy can of tuna. 2/5.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next