Board index : Music Talk : The Mix

Post subject: Ghost Don't Walk podcast 1 :: show no. 47
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:37 pm 
May contain Jesus.

Code:
hxxp://www.box.net/shared/1q7glpkg8s

Playlist for show no. 47 :: July 1, 2008

1. Macha & Bedhead - Only The Bodies Survive (7:06)
2. Banco De Gaia - Big Men Cry (6:09)
3. Destructo Swarmbots - 36 Beautiful Songs (12:19)
4. Olekranon - Halo Effect (7:01)
5. Elysian Piers - Nights Forgotten (4:30)
6. James Blackshaw - Sunshrine (26:31)
7. Frank Zappa - The Beltway Bandits (3:26)
8. Elysian Piers - We Were Ghosts (4:12)
9. Einstürzende Neubauten - 3 Thoughts (4:42)
10. Boris Berman - Cage: Mysterious Adventure (8:15)
11. Bernard Falaise - Neuf (7:36)
12. Al Margolis/If, Bwana - Cicada 4AA (8:02)

Featured Artist :: Elysian Piers

The cool thing about the internet, and to a greater degree the aspect of being able to communicate across landmasses is being about to discuss music, or share music with people who share a passion the same as you. Out of Brighton in the UK, Ed Mead was one such person who one day just popped into my inbox. He said hi, wanted to friend me on myspace and maybe share some music, because I suppose my profile of the show shared some commonality. What truly is inspiring is the fact that he sent me a demo of his project, Elysian Piers. A project which according to his site takes inspiration from Sigur Ros, M83, and Amusement Parks on Fire. Very heady, and a high wall of influence. What happened though when I put on the demo was not the direct correlation between him and those other bands, but rather what Elysian Piers was setting out to accomplish. Quite simply Ed has created vast landscapes for one to get lost in. Songs that inspire you to drift through a dull day and open your eyes in a kodachrome-tinted skyline.

I'm happy this evening that I can bring you 2 tracks off the demo. Ed has already been snatched up by the Soap Sud City label. No doubt a strong full-length debut is to follow. We'll definitely keep you posted.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 pm 
frostingspoon

i saw bedhead open for man or astroman a loooooooooong time ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 am 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

This is nice for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Those Elysian Piers tracks are quality for sure, but seems like he could have extended them out a bit. How's the flow on the record? Is it fractured at all, or does it move nicely through? Just thinking it would be a bit of shame for those soundscapes to get lost from track to track as he get's some impressive sounds.

I assume you've checked out the last James Blacksaw record already? As amazing as Sunshrine is, this Litany of Echoes really seems like he has taken it to another level. As much as I love Jack Rose and Glenn Jones , that kid seems to have taken the best of them, wrapped it up in a neat little package, and really advanced the Takoma-esque guitar while still making it appealing to the Fahey/Basho purists. (sorry for rambling about that here, but honestly this is probably the most appropriate thread for a James Blackshaw rant, that I've seen anyways, and that record has absolutely floored me).

But again, good work on the show, look forward to more of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 am 
May contain Jesus.

kochalka Wrote:
This is nice for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Those Elysian Piers tracks are quality for sure, but seems like he could have extended them out a bit. How's the flow on the record? Is it fractured at all, or does it move nicely through? Just thinking it would be a bit of shame for those soundscapes to get lost from track to track as he get's some impressive sounds.

I assume you've checked out the last James Blacksaw record already? As amazing as Sunshrine is, this Litany of Echoes really seems like he has taken it to another level. As much as I love Jack Rose and Glenn Jones , that kid seems to have taken the best of them, wrapped it up in a neat little package, and really advanced the Takoma-esque guitar while still making it appealing to the Fahey/Basho purists. (sorry for rambling about that here, but honestly this is probably the most appropriate thread for a James Blackshaw rant, that I've seen anyways, and that record has absolutely floored me).

But again, good work on the show, look forward to more of these.

The tracks don't flow as much with the Elysian Piers tracks unfortunately, but I chalk that up to the guy sending me a demo of stuff that is probably being worked on for his full-length. I'm hoping he send that to me when it gets done :P

I actually just got the new James Blackshaw, and haven't delved in as much. I was pretty excited to see Sunshrine rereleased. Especially on a label like Tompkins Square. Very cool. I'm just in amazement at his talent level. He's 27 and already he's making a huge name for himself. Makes me want to go out and buy a 12-stringer.

Thanks for listening.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:07 pm 
Natural Harvester

nice flying rabbit! will be on the dl tonight.

Blackshaw's new album is quite good i might add.

Board index : Music Talk : The Mix