Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey it's 2020! Let's catch up on everyone.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:50 pm 
frostingspoon

Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:
MUSIC: Still listen to KEXP constantly, grabbing little bits from wherever I hear about them and adding them to a massive Spotify playlist.

You gonna share that spotify playlist or wut?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:09 am 
Go Platinum

Should I post in here? Fuck it, I will

Life: Well, I croaked in 2013. Damn doctors said something about Hungry Man dinners, but I know better. It was the third back surgery that capped it. The neuro was a garden gnome from Brazil who giggled like Peter Lorre. Bastard. Being dead is OK, though, y'all don't worry about that, trust me.

Music: No harps at all, but a lot of Enoch Light & His Orchestra, and Arthur Brown, of all things. But seriously, Tyler Childers is the absolute shit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 am 
Worldwide Phenomenon

I hope that everyone is doing well and sheltering in place.

LIFE:
Moved from the Bay Area in 2018 to Louisiana, where my (2nd) wife grew up. We landed across the lake from New Orleans, in St. Tammany Parish. Two kids, 4.5 and 1.5 years, respectively. I took a Master Gardener class last fall (unironically). This is the longest musical dry spell that I've had since I joined the CMJ boards back in the early oughts... the last time I had a kid, I already had band practice nights planned out in my schedule.

MUSIC:
There's always so much... been vibing on East of the Valley Blues almost every day since everything around here dried up due to COVID-19.
Constant musical companions these days are Carolyn Keddy's radio show on KXSF, the Dynamite Hemorrhage Zine and Podcast, MAXIMUM ROCKNROLL radio show... almost anything from Sahel Sounds or Tompkins Square. Digging Wasted Shirt, THICK, The Uranium Club, Collate, House and Land...

I started running at the age of 40 - trying to work my way from half marathon to full marathon form.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:21 am 
frostingspoon

LIFE: Living in the NW corner of Jersey. Girls are 12 & 10. Working full time at a medical supply company which most likely wont be affected by the virus. JOb is secure albeit working form home for the next 3 months. Bartending at a local concert venue a few times a month. the hot sauce business has taken off in ways I could have never imagined and has become a job as opposed to a hobby that make a bit of $$. I'm too far in life and debt to 'take that chance' and do it full time, but it has been a very pleasant second income.

MUSIC: tastes are still all over the map. Always leaning towards the heavier end of the rock and metal spectrum, I find myself listening to the new Soccer Mommy record at least 4-5x a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:07 pm 
frostingspoon

timmyjoe42 Wrote:
Cap'n Squirrgle Wrote:
MUSIC: Still listen to KEXP constantly, grabbing little bits from wherever I hear about them and adding them to a massive Spotify playlist.

You gonna share that spotify playlist or wut?

Oh shit, I never thought about it. The whole thing is such a big selfish jumbled up mess. Literally anything I feel like hearing, or felt like hearing for awhile. Feels like taking pictures of the world's most epically messy room and posting them online.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6XmMWlm6ltE2R75xAHO0QA?si=FVEWQt_DRXWyl7pIXV8FlQ

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 pm 
Go Platinum

Life: Married since 2015, bought a house just outside Atlanta city limits in 2017, Haven't been DJing quite as much the last few years...I miss it. I work at a music store.

Music: just podcasts about music.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 pm 
frostingspoon

Sex, Drugs, and Dave Wrote:
Life: Married since 2015, bought a house just outside Atlanta city limits in 2017, Haven't been DJing quite as much the last few years...I miss it. I work at a music store.

Music: just podcasts about music.

Married - no shit, that's awesome.

(Also, sorry to sound surprised, I realize that might seem a bit dickish. No dickery intended.)

[quote="Bloor"]He's either done too much and should stay out of the economy, done too little because unemployment isn't 0%, is a dumb ingrate who wasn't ready for the job or a brilliant mastermind who has taken over all aspects of our lives and is transforming us into a Stalinist style penal economy where Christian Whites are fed into meat grinders. Very confusing[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm 
The Listerine Queen

Hi, Obnerds

https://twitter.com/ricwilson/status/1242563308185673729?s=21

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm 
Go Platinum

Same ol' same ol', longest I've ever kept a job. Work at a healthcare place so things are tense, but I'm administration and was just told to stay home until this thing passes. Not fired, get to work from my back porch until all is clear. Finally settled in and seeing the same girl for a long time now, even moved in together. We both think marriage is for suckers. We'll both also be working from home now and the place is tiny so it will be interesting to see which of us lives. I could take her in a fair fight, but she's sneaky. Otherwise I spend my time semi-successfully trying to avoid old enemies while drinking whiskey and smoking whatever is handy.

Musically, mostly listen to reggae, hip-hop, electronic stuff, noise, jazz. I'm old. When I play rock, it's usually something I know or something that sounds like something I know. Lately, I've been trying to revisit old albums everyone loves that I never liked and see if now any of the work better. Pet Sounds wasn't as awful as I remembered it. Listen to a lot more 45s than I used to. Always busy, but a couple minutes to spin a single or two fits into any day.

Glad to see so many of you still alive. Let's hope it stays that way. (well, most of you)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm 
frostingspoon

^ Nice! We don't visit St Louis anymore, but our best friends used to live there for about 6 years. So we had many Thanksgivings there. City Museum is so damned awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:42 pm 
Go Platinum

PopTodd Wrote:
jsh Wrote:
PopTodd Wrote:
jsh Wrote:
Life/Music: is good! I'm 39, my kid is 3, we skied on Sunday! been married for 7, back in Toronto from Montreal for 10. I like living here, my family's all here, and the country is easily accessible. Still working at a record label, and because of that running on my own label on-the-side, called Boiled Records. I am on the ride of my life with the Sessa record we put out (beautiful Brazilian pop); and the incomparable FET.NAT album of last year. I'm buying more records than ever, and still figuring out how to use streaming to my advantage. Oddly enough, I find most of my new music through the Instagram scroll. I too think obner ought to be revived. Like Todd, I am with greater frequency looking outside of western music for fresh sonics, textures, emotion.

Here are my recent releases:
SESSA - http://smarturl.it/sessagrandeza
FET.NAT - http://smarturl.it/FETNATlemal
FLANAFI - http://smarturl.it/flanafi

That Sessa record is fantastic! I've streamed it a couple of times, but it's on my wishlist to purchase. Now that I know it's your label, it's #1 with a bullet!
And, have you heard the new Kiko Dinucci record? It's not gentle pop like the Sessa, but some killer acoustic guitar playing, with an experimental tack. Should check it out. I think you'll dig!

Todd, I am into that Kiko Dinucci record for sure. I picked it up based on the artwork and have returned to it a few times, really dig it. Kiko and Sessa are friends actually. Glad you are feeling the Sessa record – I'm confident it's going to get me through a lot of the days to come. Much love!

If you dig Kiko, you should check out his other projects: Meta Meta and Passo Torto. They're also fantastic.
And... is Sessa going to tour North America at all? I might want to check him out if he comes through Chicago.

Todd, Sessa definitely tours the US a lot – he's part time in NYC. I was in Chicago with him at Subterranean supporting Shintaro Sakamoto in October! Hopefully we'll be back around on the other side of this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 pm 
Gayford R. Tincture

Hey everybody. Wish I'd caught this thread when it was a little more active, but maybe we've all got a little more time on our hands now.

LIFE: Apparently I've posted as recently as 2018 so I won't give a real lengthy bio here. Coming up on 14 years of marriage. 2 kids, girl is 10 and boy is 7. 2 dogs, girl is maybe 13, boy is 6 or 7. Fortunate to currently have work and be able to work from home, but it's touch and go. We're in a pretty good position to make it through this thing fine, though. Right now enjoying being able to have the best of both worlds, being able to spend more time with my family while also getting to do pretty close to my dream job, animation for live-action feature films and streaming shows.

MUSIC: I don't know if I ever posted about this here, but a lot of my obsessive music cataloging and listmaking became fairly disrupted when I got laid off from my salary job back in 2015. Being freelance has meant I've had to hustle a lot more, but I really believe it saved my otherwise dying career in the long term. I still keep running lists of favorites from each year, and I still pretty obsessively devour new (and new to me) music. New music is definitely less exciting for me than it was when I was younger, and predictably, I'm way less enamored with whatever seems to be the big thing at the moment. I still try to keep up, though, partly just for a way to pass time and keep playlists full and partly for that occasional discovery that reminds me of why I even bother in the first place.

Jazz seems to be going through a pretty fertile period right now. Some of my recent favorites have been Mary Halvorson, Makaya McKraven, Tomeka Reid, Jaimie Branch, and Shabaka Hutchings. That Jeff Parker album from earlier this year is great.

Recent trends in "experimental" electronic music generally haven't done much for me. There's a lot of interesting stuff that ultimately leaves me cold. Autechre is still god-level, though. If their next release is 48 hours long, I will probably love it.

Weird/art rock is still my comfort food. There have been some fun post-punk type bands to come along recently. Fountain, Uranium Club, black midi, Freak Heat Waves last two albums, most recent Parquet Courts. Spirit of the Beehive is a great band, and I started listening to them and the recent Duster reissues at the same time which is a pretty good pairing. (The new Duster album is good, too.) Cindy Lee, the noisy project by the former singer/lead guitarist of Women, Pat Flegel, is pretty great.

Pile is a great band. Big Thief can seemingly do no wrong. I hope Hot Snakes continue to release new music.

I was pretty heavily into exploring metal for a while, but that seems to be winding down. I came away from it really loving Vhol/Yob (probably anything Mike Scheidt), Vektor, and Oranssi Pazuzu. Definitely looking forward to the new one from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 pm 
frostingspoon

Yeah, Big Thief is so spooky, mousey, and good. I can't explain it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:16 am 
KILLFILED

(a.) whomst among you is voting for El Jefe Maximo de Maralago (again) in November?;

(ii.) any Obner death from COVID19, yet?;

(3.) who else got nostalgic for the board gen-1 reading theRinger culture editor Rob Harvilla's history of the nonsensical ratings system at PitchForkMedia?;

(delta.) counted a coupla divorces in the updates, but no rejoinders from fractured_take, ayah, flying rabbit, whomever, about the Obner divorce curse;

(FIF.) on behalf of kingofcarrotflowers, but mostly myself, I apologize for (almost) getting cccaaappp'''nnn sssqqquuuiiirrrgggllleee fired (again)... guess your CV won't be safe til I'm dead.

Yours in math-n*****dom...

m.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:17 pm 
Indie Debut

First time I have been on here in ages. Hi everyone.

I am still at the same job in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and I can't really complain even if it's not my passion. I have been dating a woman for close to 3 years, who loves music and was never exposed to the left-of-center music world before meeting me. She has really got me back into being passionate about music, and pushes me (well, at least prior to Covid) to get out to see live shows. It is all new to her so it's a lot of fun and we have seen many local shows, quite a few shows in the Detroit, Chicago, and Indianapolis areas (all within driving distance), and have gone other places as well, including going to Iceland for Iceland Airwaves. It feels very strange sometimes (now being 50) to be doing this, but it has been a lot of fun.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 am 
The fucking cluemaster

woah the board is still here! it's really fun to read all these updates. thanks team!

I'm working from home, animating and editing videos for the local MLB team. Still happily married. We have two sons 7 & 4. I still make and post art every single day. Recently, I became a small business owner and I have started a cult.

Music tastes are maybe slightly less aggressive than my younger self. Lateley lots of king gizzard and RTJ

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:02 am 
frostingspoon

cats, where do you post your art? Which MLB team do you service?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 pm 
Bedroom Demos

So, yeah, it's been awhile. Sorry.

Life: Moved from South South South Texas (10 miles from the Border in McAllen, Texas) three + years ago to Gainesville, Georgia. My wife took us out of KC for a better job, and then took us out of McAllen for a better better job in Medical Administration. Since the moves, my Royals won the World Series, My Blues won the Stanley Cup, and my Chiefs won the Super Bowl (I must really be a jinx). We are up in the woods by Lake Lanier, where they film the series "Ozark," - which is ironic, because that is where I grew up - Rolla, Missouri - the Ozarks, for real. It's beautiful here. Mountainous, wooded, lake, wildlife visit daily. We are close enough to drive into Atlanta and Athens for shows, but too far to do it on the regular. That said, I've been rescheduled or missed out on six shows since the Covid drop in March. I teach at a Title I high school in Duluth, Georgia, which has been super ultra challenging since March 12th, but the kids are pretty great. My eldest Kylie is a senior-esque at Mercer University in Macon. My middle, Owen is a senior in the High School I worked at for two years... ... ... but it's complicated... ... and is taking drum lessons from this pixie like retired old man who used to play with the Atlanta Symphony and is super fun to hang out with, and my youngest just turned 14 and is ending his middle school years as an disenchanted eighth grader. I commute 40+ minutes each way to work daily, which leads me to...

Music: The commute has been good for my musical dabblings. I've been trying out an awful lot. Since Apple killed iTunes for me and a seriously vast collection, I've tried out various musical subscriptions, finally settling on Spotify. I've been deep diving the sixties a lot lately. last month I dabbled in a lot of Seventies genres. Owen has me trying out Hyperpop this week, but a lot of it is just not very good, with a few gems here and there. And I've been trying to build a lot of different playlists based some on genre, some on mood, some on functions that might need musical uplift. They are, of course, all in progress. New stuff (some to me) I've been enjoying would be the new Lickerish Quartet, Igorrr, Poppy, Black Pumas, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Natalie Prass, Superorganism, Parcels, Run The Jewels, the new-ish LCD Soundsystem, and the Gorillaz are actually kind of getting interesting again. I miss you all, I miss the outside world, and hope I make it to 2021, and am really missing live music.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 pm 
frostingspoon

timmyjoe42 Wrote:
Which MLB team do you service?

*gigglesnort**
:wanker: :wanker: :wanker:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

timmyjoe42 Wrote:
cats, where do you post your art? Which MLB team do you service?

I think he works for the Twins, no?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

onebrownjeff Wrote:
So, yeah, it's been awhile. Sorry.

Life: Moved from South South South Texas (10 miles from the Border in McAllen, Texas) three + years ago

man, I had NO IDEA you were here in texas! although, to be fair, dallas may be closer to kansas city than mcallen.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 pm 
Hair Trigger of Doom

onebrownjeff Wrote:
The commute has been good for my musical dabblings. I've been trying out an awful lot.

give my music podcast, bend & scoop, a shot - it's basically a curated playlist with some funny clips sprinkled in. new episodes every friday!

https://bendandscoop.com/

also on Apple Podcasts at: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bend-scoop/id1518168366

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:06 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

Thought it was important to post this here, just in case some of you aren't on FB - I'm sad to report that we lost Tania Solis (Aural Fixation) last Friday - she was apparently involved in an automobile accident on Wednesday and succumbed to her injuries on Friday. One of the sweetest, most generous people I can say that I've ever met...

Most of us who had met, or knew here were gutted by this news.

If you'd like to donate in her remembrance/name, a number of us are donating to a therapy dog team that she volunteered with: https://www.facebook.com/goteamtherapysgv/

'Cos underneath the steel and rust and oil and shit
There's chrome just shining chrome"

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm 
Hipster Backlash

Chrome_CW Wrote:
Thought it was important to post this here, just in case some of you aren't on FB - I'm sad to report that we lost Tania Solis (Aural Fixation) last Friday - she was apparently involved in an automobile accident on Wednesday and succumbed to her injuries on Friday. One of the sweetest, most generous people I can say that I've ever met...

Most of us who had met, or knew here were gutted by this news.

If you'd like to donate in her remembrance/name, a number of us are donating to a therapy dog team that she volunteered with: https://www.facebook.com/goteamtherapysgv/

That is tragic news. I had the pleasure of attending a couple of shows with Tania when I was visiting LA back in the aughts. She was such a welcoming human being. I am so sad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:12 pm 
frostingspoon

I saw on Facebook that Tania died. It sucks when terrible things happen to such good people. She was always so positive and we'll miss her around here. :(

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next