Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Recent Vinyl Finds
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:46 am 
Bedroom Demos

Mixed blessings at the car boots today, the early one on a local football field got pretty busy by 8am with cars still coming in and records actually coming out.

Nice original pressings for a pound a pop, shame the James Taylor was stereo as I know the mono is pretty scarce.

A slightly damaged sleeve didn't deter me from this budget issue especially as the vinyl was super clean.

In the same £2 box as Muddy was a well cheese & biscuity Sandy album.

Anytime of year is good to find this seasonally name changed offering from The Boys - the Xmas card insert was a nice bonus!

A trip over towards Perth to what is apparently Scotland's LARGEST CAR BOOT and where a lot of folk have semi-permanent stalls
where they store their crap stuff in shipping containers (!?!) and where the talk of the tables was that there had been a stabbing here last week, ho hum...

I took a pound punt on this shiny labelled bootleg by Leon Russell (quality turns out to be thankfully pretty good)
I stood behind a bloke who pulled all the Queen albums out of the box this was in, but he mysteriously left this in it as well as the LP below.

It was the mention of Current 93 on the cover and the odd tracklisting that caught my little eye.

Only found a couple of 7"s today but they were cheap & cheerful.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:59 am 
Bedroom Demos

I have a 7" single by Red Rum but this is a mid 70's LP about a lovely horse called Mill Reef, there is a statue of him in America.

Another LP from the mid 70's, this is not a horse or even a Centaur but a scary Snake Lady!

At a local car boot a bloke turned up with boxes of stuff a fiver a go, I found all sortsa things but these four were the pick of the bunch.

pinky Mott.

tri-riverboat Reprise.

2 x clear Global Communication.

red OST.

Not too surprisingly I always seem to come across Scottish records, this was #213 of 550 copies.

Pretty (simple) sleeve for an album of choral music titled Songs of The Sea.

the odd few singles

Folk EP by a band called Nashville Skyline who were quite well known around the area where I live in the late 70's.

2 x classic TV themes by Laurie Johnson.

Debut EP from the traditional Irish folk family.

I love that description at the bottom of the sleeve, the mic was in Japan for this one.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am 
Bedroom Demos

I picked up a great collection of 60's & 70's folk & blues vinyl earlier in the week, a lot of Elektra, Transatlantic as well as the complete Ry Cooder back cat.
These original album catalogs from 1966 were in 2 of them and they are a snapshot in time before the heady sounds to come a year later like Love, The Doors etc.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:52 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I've been quite lucky these past few weeks getting in commission bids at auctions on boxes of LP's and leaving it to fate whether I won them or not.
Thankfully some gems have turned up most notably a very unusual edition of Sgt Pepper which I'd not seen before along with a collection of Blues & Folk albums.

From the front it looks like any other copy of The Beatles classic but it turned out this one was the censored issue pressed in Singapore in 1970.
Because of supposed drug references in 3 tracks: A Day In The Life "went upstairs and had a smoke" and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds LSD I imagine
and of course "I get high..." With a Little Help From My Friends these were removed and replaced by songs from Magical Mystery Tour and they still mis-spelt I Am The Walrus, incredible!

These are a a few of the Blues albums, it was a big box which I am still digging through.

A couple of cheeky albums I couldn't leave in a £1 box at a car boot sale

gotta love that sticker!

I have a couple of Blowfly's other 12 inchers but not come across this one before, arf!

some cheap seven inches

Discovered this lovely tune on this EP a close cousin of his classic Midnight, The Stars & You

A delightful folk tune singing the virtues of cigarettes in an eastern European style.

No proper sleeve but great spooky sound FX from electronic wizard Frederick Charles Judd.

Mid 70's Indian EP from a Birmingham based duo which I picked up as it had a track called Fish 'n' Chips

Bizarre 7" by the diminutive comedian which features the talents of Peter Gabriel, Robert Fripp, Phil Collins and Sandy Denny among others!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:20 am 
Bedroom Demos

I'm still going through a bunch of LP's I won in an auction 2 weeks ago but these 7"s were car boot finds, there were more common ones too but these ones probably less so.

50p flexis - Alan Freeman's Pop Pickers was a competition promotion run by Littlewoods and still had the entry insert. The tunes "Fluff" wanted you to guess included Gary Numan, The Police and UB40 so it wasn't as hard as Radio 2's Popmaster. The Robert Maxwell flexi is one I have already but the condition of this one is better, the other had a kink in it or maybe it was just a bit crooked.

Another dodgy geezer (Jonathan King) was behind the hard sell of this awful single by a harmony group who sound like a really crap version of Darts.

This slightly better (upper class) harmony group recorded this tune to advise listeners how to change their BBC radio dials in 1978.

I have had a copy of this lovely single for years but had never found the picture sleeve until now.

Most copies of this single are usually found signed so this must be a rare un-signed copy, it does have the scarce sleeve stamp though!

Does it get any more niche than a youth choir from Sheffield who happen to play squash and sing for Jesus? I don't think so.

Released in 1968 and still sung by fans home and away today.

Best find of the week was probably this minty US issue in a great original sleeve.

Although running it a close second was this EP of sound FX of ghosts and space ships.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:27 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Some more of the folk and blues collection I bought recently that have made it to my deck over the weekend.

US stereo copy of their debut.

early 60's UK compilation

late 60's UK compilation

UK 10" from '63

UK budget issue from the early 60's

first US pressing of a live album from '61

rare solo debut by Irish folk singer Geraldine McKeever

unofficial UK issue released in '78 of a live recording in '65

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:37 am 
Bedroom Demos

Car booty vinyl finds from sunny central Scotland.

I'd always known Billy Connolly was one half of this duo but this chap with The Big Yin is actually Tam Harvey who left soon after Gerry Rafferty joined.

A slightly less successful duo were father and daughter Larry & Shirley Peterson, the 7 years old yodels her way through the whole album while dad strums and grins.

I have the 1st UK issue with the T.Rex poster enclosed sticker but had not seen this Hot Car mag one before (probably as the previous owner stuck it on) but it looks good though!

Another great sticker adorns this compilation from 1970 featuring Marc's old mate and an eclectic selection of friends.

I picked this up for the cover really and because it has a version of Birthday on it which isn't the most common of Beatles covers.

In the same box were this nice pair of 70's Bond soundtracks.

The only 7" I picked up today was this curio from 1963.

I was surprised to see this unusual Italian folk and poetry album along with it's hardback book in a pound box, 2 diggers ignored it before I got my grubby mitts on it,
I have not listened to it yet so maybe they knew something I didn't...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:10 pm 
Bedroom Demos

blue 10" flexi circa 1930 released to promote a movie on British Lion Films

the audio is so poor I couldn't even make out what film it was meant to be promoting

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 pm 
Bedroom Demos

A few 7" odds & ends I seem to have acquired in the last week or so.

I do already have a copy of this but this fresh one is in way better condition.

Not as groovy as I imagined but hey, it was only 50p.

Maybe not as awful as it could have been, I didn't even know he'd made any records until I found this.

Someone else who's music had passed me by all these years, a singer who became famous for her complete lack of rhythm, pitch, tone and overall singing ability from liner notes:
"After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing 'a higher F than ever before'. Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars."

A far more enjoyable singer (and harpist) was Miss Russell-Fergusson who's beautiful track The Lochan was featured on a mix I recorded for Tak Tent Radio recently.

A nice pair of picture sleeves singles I found in the same box.

The only pair of singles released by the family folk group from Dundee including one singing the praises of the Discovery ship
launched in 1901 and the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in the UK, she's still docked at the sea front.

3 beautiful red vinyl records of Beatrix Potter tales, also available on blue, green and black vinyl too.

Another 3 records which are on mottled blue, green, red and black were these Greek discs from the 60's including one by Mikis Theodorakis.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:48 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Some of my flexi-disc finds at the Groovy Record Fayre in London last weekend. I bought most of them for 50p/£1 from DJ Food who had an amazing stall of goodies.

This is probably the most recent flexi of the lot from a punk band released in the US in 2018.

Square 5" disc by German Hip Hop band Die Fantastischen Vier from 1993.

German Easy Listening Jazz flexi by The Golden Eight & Helmut Siggi.

Another German (obv) disc in a sleeve that I doubt would be used to promote müsli these days.

Sugary Australian nursery rhymes sung sweetly by Patsy Biscoe.

UK disc issued by the GLC in 1985 to educate kids on road safety.

French audio magazine tone test disc.

10 x German ads for Coke.

My fave flexi find of the day was this late 50's promo for the Renault 2CV with a great pic of.... a duck.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:46 pm 
Bedroom Demos

I took a trip north of Montrose today with mixed blessings, a few charity shop finds and a recycle depot that was a chaotic mess,
however some things rose to the surface but I got pretty mucky in the process.

1970 BBC Records catalogue found inside this LP sleeve, which also had its own insert

only ONE single available!

Nice 70's jazz guitar compilation which was in an Arabic (?) poly-lined outer sleeve, any info on what it actually says appreciated!

White label test pressing for a release that was only ever available as a free promotional cassette tape in 1987,
a copy of the tape cover was inside the plain sleeve. The Inter-City train story narrated by Sir Michael Hordern.

The outer cover was tatty but the disc is playable enough and what a beautiful thing it is too!

Private pressing of a 12" with an experimental electronic vibe, couldn't find much out about the artist Dominic White even on Discogs.

Four track 12" by The Horrors includes a steady cover of Suffragette City.

Old Trad Jazz LP in a daft cover from 1961.

The cover had some light damage but the record is OK, thankfully Evel doesn't sing on it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:31 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Albums that have been working their way from fairs and boots and charity shops to my turntable these past few weeks.

Pretty nice space/prog rock from the mid 70's inspired by the book of the same name.

Happy to pay a fiver for this, I think I've only ever seen it on CD before.

Covering all bases this is lovely original English pressing of an Irish folk album in an American sleeve.

Christian folk inspired by Des O'Hare's book 'In The Begginin Wuz The Werd' and other Liverpool tales, calm down, calm down.

Sadly this is not the legendary Captain Marryat album also on the Thor label which was released around the same time as this one by a less exciting Scottish folk duo.

Still not sure quite what I'll do with this Cuban poetry compilation.

The shirts! the flares! the lettering! the cover versions!

I have a few car maintenance singles but this is the first album I've come across, it came in a plain sleeve.

I bought this weird Dutch double album in a fantastic fold-out sleeve from DJ Food at the Groovy Fayre a few weeks ago and only just got round
to listening to it, I wish the music was as bizarre as the artwork as it's pretty dull to be honest, that's probably why he sold it for a couple of quid...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:14 am 
British Press Hype

I won a box of albums in an auction last week for £26 but I took the majority straight to a charity shop as there was a lot of pop and country, but for some bizarre reason there was a whole batch of 'teach yourself drums' albums.
All US pressings and mostly for Jazzers but they stand up as great albums to listen to in their own right, I was only slightly disappointed there wasn't more commentary on some as I might have been able to sample some of that,
tis but a minor quibble as most have great sleeves and booklets and I had never seen any of them before.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:42 am 
Bedroom Demos

from today's national Daily Record newspaper

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:02 am 
Bedroom Demos

A mixed bag of 7"s albums and flexis have found their way into my racks over the festive period. I found most of these in one of those vintage shops that have different stalls selling old stuff,
the return of the new year auctions will hopefully be turning up more of those pesky round things.

A stereo test record I'd not seen before from the 60's released on Mecca Records from Lancashire.

Very nice double compilation that collects the bands singles on the 1st disc and the whole of their classic Odessey and Oracle on the 2nd.

Unusual early 70's private pressing featuring an awful lot of kids singing pensioners ragtime and vaudeville songs.

London based travel agents promotional flexi from 1964

Ex-Butlins Redcoats fronted covers band, green and nicely signed which is probably worth more to their mothers than record collectors.

Набор двойных дисков, выпущенный Управлением по туризму СССР в 1971 году.

Promo for an Australian trucking company sung by Bruce Woodley founder of 60's pop-folk band The Seekers, the instrumental version on the flip is quite catchy.

It's hard to go into any charity shops here in Scotland without finding irresistible singles.

I probably prefer the Canned Heat version but this has a kinda rustic tambourine banging charm

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:15 pm 
Bedroom Demos

These are probably the best of the albums and singles I decided to keep out of the auction and charity shop finds in January.

The great Eric Sykes & Hattie Jacques made their only album of songs and sketches in 1962.

I took a punt on this as I liked it's handmade sleeve, turned out to be a very limited private pressing (500 copies) of a band doing their own pretty good take on The Who's rock opera.

I have several AiW records but had not come across this American one before, I dig the sleeve.

Another one I picked up for it's sleeve was this 1972 promo album teaching new employees of the optician chain Dolland & Aitchison how to sell specs.

I won this in the same auction lot that had what turned out to have the 1907 football 78rpm lurking at the back of the box, £6 well spent.

A mid 60's folk singer I had not heard of before, her version of Brown Girl In The Ring has different lyrics to the Boney M version we know.

Really nice chilled out Jazz on Soul Note that was only released on vinyl in Italy.

This was a £2 charity shop find with a whole bunch of their singles at 50p a pop and it's near mint!

Canadian stereo sampler from 1961 that has many helpings of cheese.

1960 protest folk EP which it must be one of the earliest records to feature the ban the bomb symbol on it's cover.

New Zealand EP from 1967

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:29 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Second hand albums I have bought recently

US compilation of Bell artists, great old phone spinning wheel matching artist to their track

German double compilation of the 70's US harmony group.

Late 60's Scottish family folk - then 12 year old blonde haired Russell on the mandolin is still making music today under the name Other

This country rock group released this collection of covers in the mid 1970's, also featured a pre-Liverpool FC player in their ranks*

*maybe

Phil Collins may not have required a jacket for his record, but this bluesman didn't even need his surname on his.

Great 3rd album from the hard rocking blues band.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16